How many satellites do I need?

Reaction score
Hello I just got a Phantom 3 Standard yesterday. After doing the checklist to get started it seems to drift all over the place. I've calibrated everything also. It has between 7 and 10 satellites but it never gives me the green flashing lights just the yellow lights and at the top of the app it says safe to fly non gps. If I use auto take off the app records the spot and the status switches to green and says safe to fly gps but as soon as it gets off the ground it switches back to safe to fly non gps. Is there something I am missing in my pre flight checklist? If this sounds confusing just let me know and I can try and reword it. Thank you.

Make sure that the switches on both the top corners of the remote are set to the top most setting, the right hand one especially. The right hand one lets you choose between the modes GPS, ATTI and Program. You want to be using GPS so you'll want it at the up position.

Hope this helps, just a chance this could be the problem.

This is gonna sound stupid but that might be my issue! I had the switch on the right hand side in the top position but the one on the left was in the middle position. Could that really be it? I won't know until I get home tonight but I'll report back once I find out.

Its the right one who change the modes
Top gps atti
Midle atti
Bottom special modes

Enviado do meu LG-H955 através de Tapatalk

@Matt09, welcome to the PhantomPilots Forum. There are many here to help with any questions you may have about your Phantom.

May I suggest that when you are not flying, check out msinger's site 'Phantomhelp.com
It contains boatloads of information on everything Phantom. Just be sure to select the
P3S box at the top for the correct information. If you have ANY questions, I assure you the answers are there. Happy Flying [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I hope my issue was the left switch being in the middle position. Everything else seems to be in order it just wont go into safe to fly GPS. Seems to stay in safe to fly non GPS even when the right hand switch was in the upper position.

Just be careful about pre flight checklist!

Enviado do meu LG-H955 através de Tapatalk

I'll let you guys know tonight when I get home if that was the problem. I hope it is. How long should I have to leave it sit before I take off?

Six. That's the minimum number to fly GPS. However, you should prefer at least seven. That way if you lose one, you won't lose your GPS.

Reactions: gvsukids
It had at least 7 each time but for some reason it wouldn't record to take off spot or go into GPS mode. I'm sure I just need to do some playing around with it. It just seemed strange to me.

OK after trying tonight it still won't go into GPS mode. Everything is in the right position but it won't go into it. The indicator lights never turn green they just blink yellow. It says that it's connected to 9 satellites and it has full bars of satellite as well but it doesn't go into GPS. I tried calling DJI but that was worthless. All the guy could say was that it's safe to fly while they are yellow. Well no **** but I didn't buy this drone to chase it the entire time I'm flying. If I wanted that I could have saved $400 and got a Syma. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes. I can get it to set a home point and when I do that it tells me that it's safe to fly with GPS. As soon as I take off tho it goes right back to no GPS. I'm at a complete loss here. I turn the bird and controller on, connect it to the app and no matter what I do it won't go/stay in GPS. I don't believe there is any interference either as I live way back in the country. I don't even have WiFi at my house. This thing has been a major let down so far.

The only thing I can compare that to is if I fly at home, the tree canopy blocks some, not all the GPS satellites and it goes to atti mode until I get above the trees. Is your home point free of trees?......and have you tried another wide open location.? Still guessing here.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I do have trees around but even if I get above the trees it won't go into GPS. I've taken it up to almost 150 feet and it won't go into it. I have not tried another location yet. I really hope that isn't the case. That would be disappointing to not be able to fly at home. I've had other GPS drones that worked at my home as well. This is the first I've had any trouble with.

Sorry for your trouble Matt, can u tell me how your doing your compass cal.

and light colors (on bird) while your doing it

Make sure that the switches on both the top corners of the remote are set to the top most setting, the right hand one especially. The right hand one lets you choose between the modes GPS, ATTI and Program. You want to be using GPS so you'll want it at the up position.

Hope this helps, just a chance this could be the problem.
Of course the S1 switch (right side) needs to be in P-mode, but I have never heard anyone speak about the importance of the S2 (left side) being in any position. Personal I always have mine in the middle, no real reason just a habit and haven't had any issues that I noticed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl