Reaction score
Just curious, but with the Phantom 4, if I had--say--five, six, or more batteries, could I fly consecutive flights for each fully-charged battery (stopping only long enough to change the battery), without overheating the motors, etc.?

Let's say all the flight are normal P-mode flights, under 120 m (400'), videoing and taking some photos, only a slight breeze, if any wind at all, and flying until batteries are 30%. Also, the ground weather is a comfortable 22°C (72°F).

What if I had 10, 11 batteries? Is there a limit/guideline as to when to give the motors a rest?

I don't know the real answer to your question. I have three batteries and by the time i change to the next battery motors don't seem hot.

I would imagine it has a lot to do with your operating conditions. If you are flying in 100 degree heat, the unit will start giving you warnings about overheating pretty fast. In ideal flight conditions you will probably be able to get an hour and a half before it needs a rest. I've never tried it, I only have 4 batteries and never chain together more than 3 flights in a row.

Under ideal flight conditions, (P mode, relatively calm winds, full GPS) you will be fine.
I have done 6 batteries, with my P3P in the summer in 88 degrees outside temp, back to back. Up until today the bird flies flawlessly
Only landed the aircraft enough time to swap batteries and memory card, and get back up in the air. No issues whatsoever.

As long as the motors have enough ventilation and the outside temp does not exceeds 100 degrees F, max operating temp for the P4 is 104F, is not a whole lot for the P4, piece of cake for brush less motors.

Have fun flying.

Reactions: BarryP
Agree with ^^^ I just did this, mapping 400 acres. All 6 batteries 85 degrees in South Alabama sun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. This is all good information! :)

Just curious, but with the Phantom 4, if I had--say--five, six, or more batteries, could I fly consecutive flights for each fully-charged battery (stopping only long enough to change the battery), without overheating the motors, etc.?

Let's say all the flight are normal P-mode flights, under 120 m (400'), videoing and taking some photos, only a slight breeze, if any wind at all, and flying until batteries are 30%. Also, the ground weather is a comfortable 22°C (72°F).

What if I had 10, 11 batteries? Is there a limit/guideline as to when to give the motors a rest?

My last shoot (my first published video), I spent 6 hours out, between locations and flying, setup, and used just under two full batteries. If you plan your flights ahead of time, on location, what you want to shoot, from what direction etc, before you fly, you should get a lot more bang for your battery. Taking off and then firuring out what you want video of, or flying around aimlessly, is big waste of battery life. I've done quite a bit more flying since and have never used more than two batts at a time.

I'd say spend 10 to 15 min planning the shoot and a couple minutes flight time.

You'll spend less time post process editing as well.

JMTC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.