How long does your phone/tablet battery last and is it really worth getting extra batteries?

Reaction score
I find my phone uses about 25% battery per flight. That gives me 4 flights at a push, 3 if we're being realistic. Yet, I see people ordering 4+ batteries. How do you intend to solve this problem and get the most consecutive flights?

Cheers

The battery on your phone or tablet will be subject to change from device to device... My device will fly 5 or 6 times... and I have a usb power pack to charge the device. I just ordered a ipad air 2 and hope the battery life is better. so I will have 2 devices also.

But 3 flight batteries are said to be the sweet spot where you can charge one, fly one and have one ready/on charger...

I am using an iPad Air 2 and the Pilot app is using 16% - 19% per flight. It is a little bit better because it is a tablet. However, you would get a bigger and better screen for FPV which is a positive thing to upgrade :)

Besides the small screen, battery life on a phone is a drawback.
4 batteries was the limit on my P2V+ with a 100% charge on the phone.
The Nexus 7 specs say 9-10 hours battery life and I haven't tested it that far yet but one or two batteries flying and it still has lots more life.

The battery on your phone or tablet will be subject to change from device to device... My device will fly 5 or 6 times... and I have a usb power pack to charge the device. I just ordered a ipad air 2 and hope the battery life is better. so I will have 2 devices also.

But 3 flight batteries are said to be the sweet spot where you can charge one, fly one and have one ready/on charger...

I will add to this and say it really depends on what you do with your Phantom. Most people that have 4+ batteries will go on an adventure and dont plan on going home within 2 hours. A tablet/phone can easily be charged in a car as well. It all depends on what you want to do with your Phantom. I will tell you that I worked at Apple and we advised customers to not charge their iOS device in a car as the voltage is different and can damage your device. To me I dont care to charge my phone in the car. But, I won't risk charging my P3 battery in a car. If the battery does get damage your looking at $1,300 falling from the sky. Where as if my phone battery gets damaged from charging in the car. I can easily just replace the battery

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I will add to this and say it really depends on what you do with your Phantom. Most people that have 4+ batteries will go on an adventure and dont plan on going home within 2 hours. A tablet/phone can easily be charged in a car as well. It all depends on what you want to do with your Phantom. I will tell you that I worked at Apple and we advised customers to not charge their iOS device in a car as the voltage is different and can damage your device. To me I dont care to charge my phone in the car. But, I won't risk charging my P3 battery in a car. If the battery does get damage your looking at $1,300 falling from the sky. Where as if my phone battery gets damaged from charging in the car. I can easily just replace the battery

Rav power usb power pack chargers are on a fire sale now on Amazon.. I got a 12,000 mAh charger for 19.99.. Its been able to get 2-3 full charges of my tablet thus far. They have a 10,000 mAh for 12.99 also.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Each battery on my Phantom runs my Samsung Tab 4 7" down about 20-25% on airplane mode. I was charging it where I had a few minutes here and there with an external battery, then I got from a local shop a cable with micro USB on one side and 2xUSB on the other so I am able to have data from the remote control and power from my external battery. The only issue now is the tablet does get pretty hot between all the work and the charging, but that is the payoff for being able to fly through 4 batteries (which ends up being 6-8 full charged flights) before being grounded for a bit.

I usually plug my tablet in to charge between flights. I think it's a habit formed after the WiFi extender for my P2V ran out of juice mid-flight once. Flying back without the OSD was more nerve-wracking than it probably should have been and I don't want to take a chance again.

I usually have a source of A/C power near where I often fly. Otherwise, I have an automotive "jump pack" and a couple of USB power packs handy.

-- Roger

I usually plug my tablet in to charge between flights. I think it's a habit formed after the WiFi extender for my P2V ran out of juice mid-flight once. Flying back without the OSD was more nerve-wracking than it probably should have been and I don't want to take a chance again.

I usually have a source of A/C power near where I often fly. Otherwise, I have an automotive "jump pack" and a couple of USB power packs handy.

-- Roger
Before I had extra batteries, I bought a 12v 10ah battery from a hardware store and a power inverter to give me a couple outlets so that I could charge in the field if I had no spare power. Running out of power is always a scary or annoying thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.