How High can I Legally Fly

Reaction score
Can you legally fly your sUAS over the Willis Tower?
IMG_0398.jpg

The height to antennas is 1,729 ft. Are there any other local or state ordinances or restriction in area.

That's still clear of the Class B airspace. There may be local restrictions on takeoff/landing operations - I was only addressing the "how high" question.

That's still clear of the Class B airspace. There may be local restrictions on takeoff/landing operations - I was only addressing the "how high" question.

You would need to have the streets and sidewalks closed as you would not be able to fly over people or moving cars legally.

Reactions: athearnsd45

So let’s say that there are takeoff and landing restrictions and with knowledge that they don’t control the airspace and that I can legally be there, can I do a hand launch and catch legally.

So let’s say that there are takeoff and landing restrictions and with knowledge that they don’t control the airspace and that I can legally be there, can I do a hand launch and catch legally.

I think that the "hand launch" tactic to get around takeoff and landing restrictions has been debunked enough to discount it. You would still be present, on the ground, launching a UAV. And sitting it on a chair doesn't work either.

I would at least need to close sidewalk just Incase someone comes strolling by.

Not if you took off from one of the lower roof areas - then you would not have to fly over any sidewalks.

Is this a serious question?

I think that the "hand launch" tactic to get around takeoff and landing restrictions has been debunked enough to discount it. You would still be present, on the ground, launching a UAV. And sitting it on a chair doesn't work either.

Not if you took off from one of the lower roof areas - then you would not have to fly over any sidewalks.

Is this a serious question?

Yes it is. Just wondering, that would make for some great pics.
Downtown Chicago is beautiful.

Unless you have special permission - we call it an OSC - you aren’t going anywhere unless you want to risk a criminal prosecution.

Legally you can fly 400ft agl, or 400ft above the highest structure agl, as long as you remain within 400ft horizontally of said structure.
IMG_4580.jpg

That being said, finding a place in Chicago were you aren’t over active roadways, or people (people restriction can be bypassed via parazero) you are allowed to, assuming you takeoff and land from public property.

Legally you can fly 400ft agl, or 400ft above the highest structure agl, as long as you remain within 400ft horizontally of said structure. View attachment 108100

That being said, finding a place in Chicago were you aren’t over active roadways, or people (people restriction can be bypassed via parazero) you are allowed to, assuming you takeoff and land from public property.

"(people restriction can be bypassed via parazero)
What? A parachute alone will not make a flight 107.39 legal. You still need an FAA waiver.

(people restriction can be bypassed via parazero)

In the US you either have to have a WAIVER for that action or when the new regulations go into effect (they are just proposals right now) you must have the correct aircraft, equipment and you'll probably still need some type of permit/paper to certify you.

Reactions: skymonkey
I should have specified AGL ... I took it as read that everyone knows it’s AGL and not MSL or .... AMSL or in broadcast engineering terms HAAT.

This picture probably describes it better (off the CAA website)

View attachment 108111

Hope this clears any confusion [emoji4]

That's a very good graphic. Good find and share :)

Reactions: Loz and Astrix

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic