How do you quickly descend

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I know this has probably been discussed several times.
I am new to quads though.

What is the fastest safest way to descend when at high altitudes?
I'm afraid to hold the left stick down in fear of turning the motors off.

Does anyone have a preferred method for descending when at high altitudes?
Thanks
Larry

Running 3.04+ (maybe earlier rev. too) you're limited to 2m/sec.

As far as left stick full down... so long as you have intelligent motor cut-off there's no worry (it's the default so you'd have to have changed it to immediate (I believe they call it).

You will however loose pitch and roll when applying less than 10% throttle.

Larry9901 said:
Hello folks,
I know this has probably been discussed several times.
I am new to quads though.

What is the fastest safest way to descend when at high altitudes?
I'm afraid to hold the left stick down in fear of turning the motors off.

Does anyone have a preferred method for descending when at high altitudes?
Thanks
Larry
That will not turn off motors... however, to be avoid a 'Vortex Ring State' or VRS, it's best to descend while moving in any direction with your right stick... avoid descending straight down.. having said that, DJI implemented a speed restriction on descent rate to 3 meters per second to avoid this VRS.. so you would probably be fine to descend straight down... but just as a precaution, don't.. ;)

Thought it was 2 m/sec. (Don't care really just wanted to be up to date.)

Also, DO NOT perform CSC in flight as that will shut-off motors!

N017RW said:

Is that not the stupidest thing you've ever seen? Coming down as fast as possible is EXACTLY when you need your pitch and roll to stay out of your own prop wash... so frustrating... i was in full speed forward flight and trying to get home quickly and dump altitude quickly because i was running out of battery... pulled down too far on the stick and the Phantom slams on the brakes and almost does a back flip right over a friggin pond!!!

It's those kinds of rediculous features that blow my mind... don't understand that particular one at all :!: :ugeek:

N017RW said:

More detail ? Is this certain firmware versions?

N017RW said:
Thought it was 2 m/sec. (Don't care really just wanted to be up to date.)

Also, DO NOT perform CSC in flight as that will shut-off motors!
It is 2 m/sec max descent on 3.06. This has been tested in GPS and ATTI modes regardless of straight down, circular, back, forth or sideways.

I believe 3.04+. It was the entry level for me but the earlier versions were either unlimited descent speed or an increased rate.
Edit: OK 3.00+ ???

Anyways, it's limited now!

OK thank you

DBS said:
N017RW said:

Is that not the stupidest thing you've ever seen? Coming down as fast as possible is EXACTLY when you need your pitch and roll to stay out of your own prop wash... so frustrating... i was in full speed forward flight and trying to get home quickly and dump altitude quickly because i was running out of battery... pulled down too far on the stick and the Phantom slams on the brakes and almost does a back flip right over a friggin pond!!!

It's those kinds of rediculous features that blow my mind... don't understand that particular one at all :!: :ugeek:

Yea, a headscratcher for sure :roll:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl