Houston Fliers are ya out there??

Reaction score
Just looking around for some Houston Phantom addicts. Would love to get together and fly around... Get some others perspectives and all ya know???!!!

Reactions: BSinKaty
There's at least two of us now, I'm in Missouri City. I have many questions about my flying abilities (or lack thereof). And how to get my Phantom off the ground without having it run away from me.

New phantom owner in Humble area...
Got it for Christmas - what a surprise from my wife! And after much grumbling and cursing (because I couldn't get it to work for three days). Finally my son found the solution on your forum... and problem solved. Nowhere in the manuals or wikis does it mention how to start the motors!!! Go figure. Now a happy flyer.

I'm still having some issues with mine...I recalibrated the compass via the software. After turn on, and finding the satellites, it's now giving me one blinking green light, which I assume is a good thing. Now, when firing up, I can achieve liftoff but it veers off quickly to one direction or another. Is this normal?

And, on another thing, I think it would be very cool for us to try to meet up with our Phantoms. I want to see how you guys are flying yours, and perhaps I can finally figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Fred in Mo City

Fast forward to today. After having numerous problems with my Phantom 1, I got DJI to allow me to send it back to LA for repair. We shall see what we shall see.

On related subject, I fired up a new Blade 350 QX today. This is a direct competitor to the Phantom as far as I can tell. I can also tell you that my maiden flight with the Blade went perfectly. It did everything I thought the Phantom would out of the box. The Blade also has a very cool return to home function. It works great. So far I'm very impressed with the Blade. I hope that when I get my Phantom back from repair, I can make an equally glowing report.

More to come.

Cheers

Fred in Mo City

radioguy said:
There's at least two of us now, I'm in Missouri City. I have many questions about my flying abilities (or lack thereof). And how to get my Phantom off the ground without having it run away from me.

Alright, make that 3!

Just got my phantom 1.1.1 over Christmas and have had about 5 outings in town. Ok... So when are we meeting?

I suggest someplace like Hermann Park with interesting sites and is between you and the other guy from Humble.

radioguy said:
I'm still having some issues with mine...I recalibrated the compass via the software. After turn on, and finding the satellites, it's now giving me one blinking green light, which I assume is a good thing. Now, when firing up, I can achieve liftoff but it veers off quickly to one direction or another. Is this normal?

And, on another thing, I think it would be very cool for us to try to meet up with our Phantoms. I want to see how you guys are flying yours, and perhaps I can finally figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Fred in Mo City

Glad you were able to return it. Though the compass calibration is what you do outside away from the computer.

One thing with the 350QX... Learn how to bind WITHOUT GPS because if you run into GPS issues, you can't fly even in stability or agility modes.

SBamp said:
New phantom owner in Humble area...
Got it for Christmas - what a surprise from my wife! And after much grumbling and cursing (because I couldn't get it to work for three days). Finally my son found the solution on your forum... and problem solved. Nowhere in the manuals or wikis does it mention how to start the motors!!! Go figure. Now a happy flyer.

Lots of good locations to fly in Kingwood or Lake Houston area! Do you have any footage posted?

Add another to the list!! I've been flying the 350 qx for 6-7 months and recently purchase a phantom 2 with Gimbal and FPV. I am in the woodlands area. I would like to fly with y'all.

gregtx said:
Add another to the list!! I've been flying the 350 qx for 6-7 months and recently purchase a phantom 2 with Gimbal and FPV. I am in the woodlands area. I would like to fly with y'all.

Nice! I would love to actually see a Vision in person. You and SBamp are tipping the center of gravity back to the north part of town! :)

Where do you typically fly up in the Woodlands? Any videos you'd like to share?

FlyingFanta: I fly mostly around my property. I seem to be having a lot of issues with my phantom and have some bugs to work out still.
Glad to see all the local multi rotor flyers! I've been feeling all alone. Just let me know when and where.

FlyingFanta said:
radioguy said:

Fred in Mo City

Glad you were able to return it. Though the compass calibration is what you do outside away from the computer.

One thing with the 350QX... Learn how to bind WITHOUT GPS because if you run into GPS issues, you can't fly even in stability or agility modes.

I got mine RTF. So far, no issues. I have found that changing from "Safe" to "Stability" mode makes a major change in the way the QX flies. The only time (so far) I've had a less than perfect landing is when I tried to land it wihout "Smart" mode on.

FlyingFanta said:
radioguy said:

Alright, make that 3!.

Just got my phantom 1.1.1 over Christmas and have had about 5 outings in town. Ok... So when are we meeting?

I suggest someplace like Hermann Park with interesting sites and is between you and the other guy from Humble.

4 - Since I consider League City close enough. :)
Personally, I would NOT do Hermann park. Too close to active air traffic (several helipads in the area) and many many cell towers too.

dkr77573 said:
4 - Since I consider League City close enough. :)
Personally, I would NOT do Hermann park. Too close to active air traffic (several helipads in the area) and many many cell towers too.

Hey good to see another Houston Phantom flyer! Man, with League City, Missouri City, Humble and Woodlands here... it seems like Memorial park or somewhere in town is the best place to be. Let's have a meet up and get some good GoPro footage.

We've flown in the open fields between the reflection pond and the outdoor theater area (near that big hill). Lots of fun, lots of open spaces. Have flown both the 959 and a buddy's 350QX there.

Here's a video of Sam Houston Park right next to downtown. Lots of space and great view.

https://vimeo.com/84517804

=5

Just got mine last week but unfortunately the remote control won't power on, so no flying yet. Amazon promises a replacement on Monday so maybe next week I'll finally have a chance to give it a try.

I'm in the Galleria area (no flying there!) and also looking for a big, safe place to learn to fly. Like the rest of you I'd like to meet other flyers, so if there's a good place and time to meet, count me in. (I am curious though - wonder how many Phantoms can be flying in one place without interference issues??)

Geoff

gmtx said:
=5

Just got mine last week but unfortunately the remote control won't power on, so no flying yet. Amazon promises a replacement on Monday so maybe next week I'll finally have a chance to give it a try.

I'm in the Galleria area (no flying there!) and also looking for a big, safe place to learn to fly. Like the rest of you I'd like to meet other flyers, so if there's a good place and time to meet, count me in. (I am curious though - wonder how many Phantoms can be flying in one place without interference issues??)

Geoff

Stinks about your remote controller. So the red light doesn't even come on with fresh AA batteries?

There are plenty of places to fly actually. Not sprawling fields but certainly within the 500-1000 ft range for some flying. Memorial Park has plenty of spaces. Also even some smaller parks like the one near Chimney Rock and Richmond: https://www.google.com/maps?q=Anderson+Park,+Houston,+TX&hl=en&ll=29.72952,-95.47919&spn=0.008235,0.004115&sll=29.729241,-95.480676&sspn=0.008124,0.011963&oq=anderson+park,+&t=h&hq=Anderson+Park,+Houston,+TX&z=18&iwloc=A

If you go south or east from the Galleria area, there are lots of other venus as you get towards the Rice / Hermann Park area.
Here's another small park near 610 West Loop perfect for flying.

https://vimeo.com/84448418

Yeah, new batteries (twice), took it apart to look for anything loose, no joy.

Thanks for the tips on places to fly. I was concerned about flying in public parks - not sure what the "rules" are, if there are any. Run into any issues flying so far?

Geoff

gmtx said:
Yeah, new batteries (twice), took it apart to look for anything loose, no joy.

Thanks for the tips on places to fly. I was concerned about flying in public parks - not sure what the "rules" are, if there are any. Run into any issues flying so far?

Geoff

No issues so far. As a matter of fact, most people even bring their young kids up to see what it is and guys will typically ask about how they can get one. Had some fun at the playground of a local school and had a good time today. Actually had a crash within a gated area and the kids playing basketball helped search for the downed craft.

The only park in the Galleria / West Loop area that explicitly bans flying RC things is the park adjacent to the Williams Tower on Post Oak blvd.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.