Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz

Yes mine are mounted just like in DARLAK's pic.
Matt--I had no idea that switching between camera and video would do that. I may re-install and test further. There is only one thing I've done different but can't see as it would make a difference. I've had to add the adapters pictured below because I had pins in both other ends and need them to plug in. I've also pictured my setup below.
kd90th.jpg

16bfsw7.jpg

Matt--I had no idea that switching between camera and video would do that. I may re-install and test further. There is only one thing I've done different but can't see as it would make a difference. I've had to add the adapters pictured below because I had pins in both other ends and need them to plug in. I've also pictured my setup below.
kd90th.jpg

16bfsw7.jpg
Any extra connection is never good, but it shouldn't have mattered that much. But the dipole end should be female, without the pin.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I got my dipole made up. 1100 feet in residential area, 2200 feet in a rural area near my neighborhood. At least that's where it starts to lose video signal.
How you get 4500 feet?

I may go this route as my RC is stock.
Amazon.com: BlueProton DJI Phantom 3 Standard WiFi Signal Range Extender Six (6) Antenna Kit w 10dBi 5.8GHz Omni by ARGtek: Camera & Photo
I got 3657 feet on my P3S with only stock components in a rural area at the beach. I typically get .4 to .5 miles flying in a mountain type terrain. As long as you have a clear view of the drone shouldn't need any range extender.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why should it be female? Genuine question

Sent from my SM-A500FU using PhantomPilots mobile app
Because normally the other end of the wire coming off the gimbal is the male end. Also when you buy these dipoles commercially that is the way they come because of the same reasoning. Not saying you other wire can't be had in the opposite gender, just saying that's more common.

Reactions: shanek
Because normally the other end of the wire coming off the gimbal is the male end. Also when you buy these dipoles commercially that is the way they come because of the same reasoning. Not saying you other wire can't be had in the opposite gender, just saying that's more common.

Problem with what I ordered was both were male that is the reason for the adapter I added.

Problem with what I ordered was both were male that is the reason for the adapter I added.
Thought you had got these from Matts175, didn't realize it was from your own parts. That might be the root of the problem you're having, that they were made incorrectly somehow. Two days ago in one of your post you seemed very happy with the performance of the mod. I'd just give it another go.

Last edited:
I thought I had it down. Degree is in Robotics and have been in industrial maintenance for over 20 years so my soldering skill are pretty good. I may have messed up somehow but not sure where.

I have the materials for these antenna arriving soon but youve kinda deflated my bubble just there. In the mean time please post up if you get any improvements on subsequent trials

Sent from my SM-A500FU using PhantomPilots mobile app

I not sure why some are having such great luck with these and some not. I'm almost thinking that MAYBE they don't work well with completely stock remotes?

Would this fill your bubble back up?

Capture.PNG

I'm grounded, just broke one of the dipoles. Till I get it replaced under warranty. Just glad I wasn't too far from home when I noticed it. Had to pack up and go right back home.

I'm grounded, just broke one of the dipoles. Till I get it replaced under warranty. Just glad I wasn't too far from home when I noticed it. Had to pack up and go right back home.

Are your factory antennas still in there? You could hook one up and run 1 dipole, that'd be fine. Or do you have a router antenna laying around?

Can you post a picture of what broke? Maybe I could help you fix that one until your new one arrives, if you can solder.

kd90th.jpg

16bfsw7.jpg

I would say that this should be fine. The adapter is so short, I can't see much of a loss with it.

Anyways, do you have an ohm meter? Let's make sure your antennas aren't shorted some how. BRB, I'll post a picture on what you should be checking.

Take your ohm meter and touch it from here to here. That should read ZERO or very close to ZERO. (see first picture)

Then, from here to here. Again. Zero ohms. or close to zero. (see 2nd pic)

Then finally from here to here. Now for this.... you want to see infinity. This one is the most important!!!
If you see anything else. There is a short. (pic #3)

Attachments

• 361030b83b0bace5b32cf4a8eaa0008a (1).jpg
    361030b83b0bace5b32cf4a8eaa0008a (1).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 361030b83b0bace5b32cf4a8eaa0008a.jpg
    361030b83b0bace5b32cf4a8eaa0008a.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 331
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Yes. There sure is. Take your ohm meter and touch it from here to here. That should read ZERO or very close to ZERO. (see first picture)

Then, from here to here. Again. Zero ohms. or close to zero. (see 2nd pic)

Then finally from here to here. Now for this.... you want to see infinity. this one is the most important!!!
If you see anything else. There is a short. (pic #3)

View attachment 74149
View attachment 74150
View attachment 74151

Can everyone see the attachments when you click on them?

Nope, all I get is an error page when I click on them.

Are your factory antennas still in there? You could hook one up and run 1 dipole, that'd be fine. Or do you have a router antenna laying around?

Can you post a picture of what broke? Maybe I could help you fix that one until your new one arrives, if you can solder.
You got me thinking, I have the antennas that came with my 2.4 GHz amps for my DBS that were stored away. They look large on the drone, but should work till the replacement comes. Here's that pic of the broke dipole.
IMAG0311.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 298
  • IMAG0312.jpg
    IMAG0312.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 264
You got me thinking, I have the antennas that came with my 2.4 GHz amps for my DBS that were stored away. They look large on the drone, but should work till the replacement comes. Here's that pic of the broke dipole.View attachment 76662

Heck yeah. At least you can fly now. LOL

On your broken one. If you could cut a little of that black heat shrink away... a little blop of solder would have that working again. If you want.... mail it to me, I'll try fixing it. I know you are getting another one, but it would be good for a spare.

I bought a crashed P3S on ebay to fix for the fun of it and it came with a remote that had a range extender on it. Tried it with the dipole and got the same results.
1487554726172.jpg

Sent from my LG-K450 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor