Home Point (take-off point) question

maybe im just used to seeing the one set then i turn my attention to the app and dont see the 2nd set of lights, but now its been mentioned im going to be more observant.

crash1sttime said:
maybe im just used to seeing the one set then i turn my attention to the app and dont see the 2nd set of lights, but now its been mentioned im going to be more observant.
Most likely. You had me out there videoing it. It is about 30 degrees here but I figured I was imagining the second set :lol: Im trying to post the vid but it is taking a long time.
Happy New Years to you!

crash1sttime said:
as for resetting in the air, why, isnt that what DHP is for ?
Dynamic home point is for a situation like shooting from a moving boat and you don't want the Phantom returning to land where it took off.
Resetting HP in the air - apart from being the easiest way to see and confirm that home point has been set, gives you the ability to ensure that your Phantom will RTH at a level you want it to, to clear any trees etc.

Larry L said:
Im trying to post the vid but it is taking a long time.
Happy New Years to you!

So where is the Vid ? or am i going to have to go outside and turn my phantom on ? :)

crash1sttime said:
Larry L said:
Im trying to post the vid but it is taking a long time.
Happy New Years to you!

So where is the Vid ? or am i going to have to go outside and turn my phantom on ? :)
Lol, I might be able to email :lol: . It just keeps trying to upload without any luck. It states compressing but the wheel keeps turning up in the corner of my iPad but nothing gets up loaded :D

Meta4 said:
HF isn't very tactful but he's right on this one.
Too many flyers don't understand what compass calibration does and when it's needed.
Too many perform it as a superstitious ritual and imagine that if they don't do it, their bird will fly away.

The most likely cause was discussed in the first two posts.
It had nothing to do with compass calibration.
hemorrhagic flyer said:
rexster314 said:
Question 1 is did he calibrate the compass before taking off on this flight?

The number of clueless folks who do not understand what the compass does, what calibration does, and how it relates to "flyaways" continues to amaze me.

Compass calibration has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

The ONE time I didn't do the compass dance, my Phantom took off into my tree.

Coincidence? I think not

A compass issue shouldn't make a Phantom "take off" into anything.
If you had previously been flying within 100 km of the site, it is extremely unlikely that your failure to perform a ritual calibration had any affect on anything.
Calibrating every flight is for people that push the elevator button 6 times to make it come sooner.

Meta4 said:
A compass issue shouldn't make a Phantom "take off" into anything.
If you had previously been flying within 100 km of the site, it is extremely unlikely that your failure to perform a ritual calibration had any affect on anything.
Calibrating every flight is for people that push the elevator button 6 times to make it come sooner.

You don't need to travel 100km. You could simply make the mistake of passing a magnetized screwdriver head to close to the phantoms compass. Or perhaps you set your Vision plus down near a car battery or power strip. There are any number of ways in which one can inadvertently disorient the compass.

And contrary to what has been claimed by a few posters in this thread, a poorly calibrated compass can and will cause erratic behavior and unexpected flight. Sometimes that behavior can include unexpected flight/drift in a direction without user input on the TX. Having said that, it's not likely a compass error would cause the kind of issue described in the original post, but it can and will cause problems which may appear to be "fly away" (but usually only for short distances).

erikgraham said:
You don't need to travel 100km. You could simply make the mistake of passing a magnetized screwdriver head to close to the phantoms compass. Or perhaps you set your Vision plus down near a car battery or power strip. There are any number of ways in which one can inadvertently disorient the compass.
Disorienting your compass isn't something that is likely to happen in normal use but if you screw up your compass that much - the app will tell you it needs recalibration.

Meta4 said:
Flick the S2 switch 5 times and observe the fast flashing greens.
Bingo - you have confirmed home point is recorded.

Is this the same in NAZA-M I seem to only get a yellow,green in quick succession when i flick the s2 :?

Probably asking a Question that has been answered 1000's of time before but i couldn't find info anywhere so thought i would make sure :roll:

Cheers, Jordan

rbtNmke said:
ok, total newb question..... so be nice! how do you determine if the correct home point is recorded (prior to flight)?
i just received my phantom and ive been reading countless posts, watching videos etc etc......i want to make sure my new machine returns if things get ugly.
TIA
That little triangle thingy in the lower left corner of the phone app should be dead center in the circles.

mmn said:
rbtNmke said:
ok, total newb question..... so be nice! how do you determine if the correct home point is recorded (prior to flight)?
i just received my phantom and ive been reading countless posts, watching videos etc etc......i want to make sure my new machine returns if things get ugly.
TIA
That little triangle thingy in the lower left corner of the phone app should be dead center in the circles.

I found that a more accurate way is to bring up the waypoint system and zoom in (assuming you have cached maps), when i first did it i found that my home point was some 40ft away from where i took off, i put this difference down to using dynamic home point (where it resets itself to the location of your mobile phone) and that the accuracy is never spot on, at least for my samsung.

40ft might not sound a lot but if your near trees it can be an issue

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20