Home point map picture

Reaction score
My new P3P is working fine, but on the 10 flights I have done on at least half the map picture doesn’t display its just blocky with my HP symbol. Today I filmed where I work and it wouldn’t show the picture, yet I could pull up Google Earth, 4 hrs later 15 miles away at home I fired up the DJI app and it showed the map picture of where I was earlier??? Its a bit disconcerting as it prompts you to check that the HP corresponds with the map, but it doesn’t always show the birds eye map view. Am I doing anything wrong as a newbie?

Was your mobile device connected to the Internet while you were out flying? If not, did you cache the maps in DJI GO before you headed out to fly?

I have an Ipad mini with GPS and a sim card as I didn’t want the hassle of caching maps, it worked perfectly on its very first flight but on several times after it hasn’t displayed its location. I immediately checked that it had internet connection and it pulled in Google Earth ok and several other websites I use so am puzzled by its selective display.

Not sure if this is directly related but I was missing map view in the Go4 app last night. Map view was there the last time I flew (7/12), but last night it was just an empty box. Click on the map box and it's totally blank. Yes, my maps are cached. That's the first time I haven't had map view when flying.

Was your mobile device connected to the Internet while you were out flying
I have an Ipad mini with GPS and a sim card as I didn’t want the hassle of caching maps
@Norcat - Do you realize that having a GPS enabled iPad with a SIM card does not in itself mean you’re connected to the internet to get map data in the field?

Just asking because we have a few people post here who genuinely believed that GPS satellites downloaded maps to their tablets.

Reactions: JoBe
@Norcat - Do you realize that having a GPS enabled iPad with a SIM card does not in itself mean you’re connected to the internet to get map data in the field?

Just asking because we have a few people post here who genuinely believed that GPS satellites downloaded maps to their tablets.

I was connected as I turn on the mobile data so that I have internet, and I get my email account and other apps up so no connection problem. Also very familiar with GPS function as I am a Radar and Nav system installer. Today I filmed again at the same place and this time the map appeared straight away with exactly the same settings and location, so can’t figure out why occasionaly I don’t get the maps. I am on the same software as when I bought it 2 yrs ago but only flew it this year for the first time. I get the update message but having heard of degraded transmitter range and difficulties after upgrades have decided to stay with the current software that it came out the factory with.
One question if I reload the app on myl ipad as some have suggested will I lose my flight logs?

One question if I reload the app on myl ipad as some have suggested will I lose my flight logs?
What we usually tell people is that if they plan to delete and install the app to first sync their flights before deleting. Then once the app is reinstalled, sync again to restore the flights.

Last edited:
@Norcat, have you tryied to run the Go app on a different machine ? It might be that your iPad has an issue, take into account too that DJI is listing as compatible iPads mini just models from the 2nd generation further (2,3,4).
What FW do you have (AC, RC, Go) ?
As you can see in my signature and Oso’s too, we too aren’t very eager to keep our FWs up to date.. (if ain’t broken, don’t fix it).

Its an ipad mini 4 so should be ok, I don’t have anything else to try the app on. As I mentioned yesterday it worked perfectly filming at the same spot so something is happening with the ipad or the app.
Oso mentioned syncing flights before deleting the app, what does that mean?
I have to admit my knowledge of apps and this type of media is a bit weak, I am stronger on the RC side as I come from building and flying planes and helicopters so find drones very easy to fly manually and even easier in the P mode, I just have to get familiar with the Go app functions.

Syncing the flights before deleting the Go app (hope you don’t use the Go4 which is meant for the P4 generation), means following these steps:
I guess you’re aware that if reinstalling the Go app, App Store will deliver just the latest version (presently for iOS is 3.1.42). If you wish to install an older version there is a trick using iTunes and an special web server that provides older versions. On Youtube you may find a tutorial for this matter.
You haven’t said what sw version are you presently using for the bird, the remote and the Go app ?

App is 2.7.1
Aircraft 1.4.10
RC 1.5.80
All the tales of woe put me right off updating as it works, there may be some improvements but I have also read about loss of features too, so it will take a lot to persuade me to try an update.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik