Home location on screen

Reaction score
Hey folks.

Is there any way to show your home location on the main fpv screen on your tablet, other than that stupid little plane icon in the radar screen at the bottom? Or the map (which 90% of people show blank because their tablets don't have data capabilities)? I find it very unreliable, and I was wondering if there was an option like the old iosd that showed a marker where home was when you were heading towards it.

Any advice appreciated.

Hey folks.

Is there any way to show your home location on the main fpv screen on your tablet, other than that stupid little plane icon in the radar screen at the bottom? Or the map (which 90% of people show blank because their tablets don't have data capabilities)? I find it very unreliable, and I was wondering if there was an option like the old iosd that showed a marker where home was when you were heading towards it.

Any advice appreciated.
did you try touching that little map? They switch back and forth as you select them.

Home will show on the radar screen in the map display and shows the Phantom in relation to the home point. All you have to do is fly the Phantom pointed to the home point. so you don't need video feed to get it back if you want to fly it back. It works great.

Reactions: Jbundy63
Do you mean you cannot enlarge the radar screen? On mine it does and shows home and direction of travel.

Home will show on the radar screen in the map display and shows the Phantom in relation to the home point. All you have to do is fly the Phantom pointed to the home point. so you don't need video feed to get it back if you want to fly it back. It works great.
[emoji106] It does work great especially when you temporary lose sight of it!

Reactions: Fplvert
On mine, the map is no good (no wifi, therefore no map to display)... It seems that most of the time (usually when I am in trouble), flying the red plane back to the center of the radar, its actually flying away from me, or perpendicular to me... A couple of times I lost awareness and had to RTH.... I just tested this again tonight, and it seemed fine, but like I said, it usually only happens when I really need it..

You can set up a temporary wifi hot spot on your phone and pair it to the ipad or tablet wireless and down load the map of the area before you start flying. Just be sure and turn the wifi off before you fly.

You can set up a temporary wifi hot spot on your phone and pair it to the ipad or tablet wireless and down load the map of the area before you start flying. Just be sure and turn the wifi off before you fly.

I keep seeing recommendations to turn off WIFI or place the tablet into Airplane mode, but I've flown with wifi enabled with no issues and if one wishes to perform live streaming, then they need to enable WIFI or use a cellular service. Wish there wasn't this ambiguity on this issue.

Keep flying if you are sure that it is not causing issues. Personally, I don't prefer to take the chance since the controller and wifi both operate on the same frequency. May not be a problem, but then again you wont know when a problem arises if is caused by a conflict of the two signals. That is the exact reason airlines have you put your device on airplane mode on most airlines, they want to eliminate that possibility.

Cheers:)

Keep flying if you are sure that it is not causing issues. Personally, I don't prefer to take the chance since the controller and wifi both operate on the same frequency. May not be a problem, but then again you wont know when a problem arises if is caused by a conflict of the two signals. That is the exact reason airlines have you put your device on airplane mode on most airlines, they want to eliminate that possibility.

Cheers:)

With this in mind, if we're using a cellphone (or a data enabled tablet) for flying, should we be turning off wifi on the cellphone or tablet before we fly?

The little plane icon has always been reliable to me, whether there's a map under it or not.

The little plane icon, even if you don't find it reliable without a map underneath it, points to the compass direction you are flying. Use that indicator to help navigate closer to home.

There's also the green line that shows your flight path, whether there's a map under it or not, which you could follow back to home if you need to. If you turned this off in settings, turn it back on.

You have a camera on your UAV. Look at the screen. Use the little plane icon to be sure the UAV is pointed towards you, look for the green flight-path line if it's not turned off, but also look at your video screen for visual clues. Are you standing near an tall object that you can see in your video feed?

Also, the camera helps you not fly into things on the way home, things you might not see on your map even if you had one. Use it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic