Hobbyist vs. Commercial: calling the tower for clearance

Should commercial drone pilots be allowed to call the tower for clearance?

• They should be allowed to call the tower for a verbal OK.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • The current method of requesting a waiver on the FAA website is reasonable.

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Sure - that's what it looked like you meant, but you also wrote that you agreed that the model aircraft community needed that protection from new laws, so it appeared that you agreed with those lobbyists, such as the AMA, on this issue. To put it another way, I was trying to understand whether you support the separation of regulation for recreation versus non-recreation, or whether you are arguing that it should have been done differently.

sar104 you always entice me into these conversations and I can't help myself LOL.

Well I "understand" why/how it happened but at the same time I think Congress was very short sighted and didn't spend the time to research newly emerging technology and how it would affect the R/C Aircraft world. Their 2012 ruling was right when "model aircraft automation" was being implemented and this totally changed the whole industry and QUICKLY. They jumped just a pinch too soon and by doing so really added mud to the water.

Honestly, (and this will not garner me any new friends on this forum LOL) I think we need TWO sets of regulations but not how they are structured now. I think we need a set for those who are flying small, low flying, unGPS aided aircraft in knowingly safe areas (flying fields, parks, etc) and then those who fly something else. I don't think the people flying scale warbirds, stunt planes, etc on the weekend at the flying field are anything to worry about. If it can fly for thousands of yards on it's own then it can fly into an area that isn't safe.

I don't think a hobbyist flying 1 mile from an active runway should have any less regulations than a commercial operator in the same area and in fact I almost feel like it should be the other way around. But that's just my 2 cents.

Reactions: sar104
sar104 you always entice me into these conversations and I can't help myself LOL.

Well I "understand" why/how it happened but at the same time I think Congress was very short sighted and didn't spend the time to research newly emerging technology and how it would affect the R/C Aircraft world. Their 2012 ruling was right when "model aircraft automation" was being implemented and this totally changed the whole industry and QUICKLY. They jumped just a pinch too soon and by doing so really added mud to the water.

Honestly, (and this will not garner me any new friends on this forum LOL) I think we need TWO sets of regulations but not how they are structured now. I think we need a set for those who are flying small, low flying, unGPS aided aircraft in knowingly safe areas (flying fields, parks, etc) and then those who fly something else. I don't think the people flying scale warbirds, stunt planes, etc on the weekend at the flying field are anything to worry about. If it can fly for thousands of yards on it's own then it can fly into an area that isn't safe.

I don't think a hobbyist flying 1 mile from an active runway should have any less regulations than a commercial operator in the same area and in fact I almost feel like it should be the other way around. But that's just my 2 cents.

Sorry to inflict that on you again. Anyway - I agree completely. A distinction based on the capabilities of the platform is the only thing that makes consistent sense.

Reactions: BigAl07
Allen, thanks for that insight. Can't wait to see what comes of this. My waivers have been taking about 60 days to pass through the system. I look forward to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

@Nickster As you mention you've had success with waivers, do you have tips or a link to info on what exactly the FAA is looking for to approve the request for UAV operations in certain airspace or for some of the other common waiver categories? Suggestions/ideas on what to include on a well-informed application that has a better chance of getting approved? Recently got 107, I'm about to file my first airspace authorization for Class E and D airspace. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

You won't hear anything unless A) They need more information B) You're approved or Denied

I did get an email receipt when I submitted my 107.29 Waiver over a month ago. They have since contacted me for "More Information" so they are processing them currently.

Any tips or a link to info on what exactly the FAA is looking for to approve the request for UAV operations in Class E (or D) airspace? Suggestions/ideas on what to include on a well-informed application that has a better chance of getting approved? And to avoid the "need more information" delay?

Any tips or a link to info on what exactly the FAA is looking for to approve the request for UAV operations in Class E (or D) airspace? Suggestions/ideas on what to include on a well-informed application that has a better chance of getting approved? And to avoid the "need more information" delay?
My best advice would be go to Drone U and check out their Waiver videos.

If you're thinking about Night Flight (Daytime Waiver) Gold Seal has a module I HIGHLY suggest that supplements the DroneU course by Vic Moss. Honestly I think if you watch the Vic Moss video and take the Gold Seal Night Flight module you're good to go. That's what I did and got mine.

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
My best advice would be go to Drone U and check out their Waiver videos.

If you're thinking about Night Flight (Daytime Waiver) Gold Seal has a module I HIGHLY suggest that supplements the DroneU course by Vic Moss. Honestly I think if you watch the Vic Moss video and take the Gold Seal Night Flight module you're good to go. That's what I did and got mine.

Cool thanks for the advice, I appreciate the reply!! I also found some stuff on Drone Law Pro that was helpful as well. Part 107 Waiver & Airspace Training Videos - Hire a Drone Law Attorney - Fly Under FAA Part 107

Reactions: BigAl07
There is a FAA/UAS symposium scheduled for March 27-29 2017 in Reston, Va. It is similar to the one held in Daytona Beach Fl last year.

Hopefully these topics will be discussed one-on-one between the FAA and drone industry.

Information on the symposium is available at www.auvsi.org. Also included are topics discussed in the 2016 meeting.

It is a positive step forward when the drone industry and FAA can meet face to face to discuss issues and ideas that keep us all safe and provide guidance and direction into this new drone industry. Overall, it gives each of us the guidelines to follow to enable us to share the skies safely.

Edit: www.auvsi.org>faa.2017.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'll be there. Looking forward to it and possibly this discussion at the symposium.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik