New pilot with a question

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new to the drone scene (as of xmas day) and I didn't find specifically what I was looking for so Im going this route.

I'm a fixed wing Airline Transport Pilot and FAA flight instructor but the UAV stuff is a whole new realm for me. I've been wanting to play around with a drone since before I got one and when the ability to get my 107 license came along using my existing pilot certificate to make it easy I did so and I have it.

I got my drone from Santa wife on Christmas day (Phantom 3 SE) and, I suppose not fully understanding the 107 vs 336 differences, I registered it. I read the links on the FAA registration site that 107 registration was intending to fly for recreational and commercial purposes (just in case I ever want to fly it and make buck doing so). My drone has it's tail number now, registered under 107.

So here's the question, I live under a Class B surface area (KMCO...closest runway is 1.7 miles) and I have an area I can fly in my community near some forest and retention pond areas near my home but I guess this would apply to any airspace surface area. If I am flying recreationally(non commercial), do I need to get the waiver through the FAA or can I call the airport ATC? I see with the 336, that the notification to ATC is all thats required for a recreational flight (I think...), In that case, should I re-register as 336, with I'm assuming a different tail number, and go that route for recreation flying? I figure it'll cost me another $5 but thats not a big deal.

So anyway, appreciate any insight

Reactions: ferncfc
I asked a similar question to the head of FAA UAS in an email late summer 2016. She said you can register yourself as a recreational pilot, pay the $5, etc. Then you can fly under 336, even if your AC is already registered under 107. You can put your FA number inside the battery compartment.

That means, the determination of what you are flying rests on your intention before you launch. If you launch as a 336 hobbyist, you must fly the entire flight under 336.

Re the Class B airspace and flying under 336, what is important is the last part of Sec 336 - the part about endangering NAS. To fly safely, you need two-way communication with the airport and tower within the Class B prior to the flight (such as a phone call), and you need approval. Notification isn't good enough in Class B. Note that 336 operators are permitted to speak to the airport/tower by phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Hi, bluepilot. I'm also an ATP and flight instructor. You should consider getting your Remote Pilot certificate. It's fairly easy for existing pilots. Go to the FAASafety.gov website and take course #451. You can get the entire thing done in less than two hours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1