Hit a tree and need camera replacement

Reaction score
Phantom 3 professional.

So I hit a tree and the copter fell about 75 feet into a wheat field. I retrieved the copter and the broken parts. The camera broke clean off but the copter is ok, props ok, landing gear ok. The soft wheat saved me! I (hesitantly) flew it again visually for a minute to make sure. (hovered, went forward and backwards, etc.) Everything works fine, flight wise, but I need the camera replaced, it is trashed. I figure this to be a $400 mistake! Is that a reasonable estimate or am I look at a lot more?

My question is my next steps: Should I submit this through dji's repair process or is there an independent repair place or something? I've had the drone for about 3 weeks.

Thanks,

You can buy a new camera from most DJI authorised sellers -(Part No 5). Very simple to fit it yourself.

I'll post a photo later (I'll edit this thread) It's more than just the camera. Gimble too! I didn't explain it very well. The only thing left attached to the drone is the "box" thing that the sd card inserts into. Everything below that is gone. I should qualify that; Everything below that broke off. I still have the parts.

I'll post a photo later (I'll edit this thread) It's more than just the camera. Gimble too! I didn't explain it very well. The only thing left attached to the drone is the "box" thing that the sd card inserts into. Everything below that is gone. I should qualify that; Everything below that broke off. I still have the parts.
Part No 5 is the complete camera and gimbal....including the "box" thing.

If the actual camera is ok, you can buy yaw and roll arms, and ribbon cable, as parts which you can replace yourself if you're good at mending fiddly things.

Lol, ok thanks. Would you happen to know what that's gonna cost? I did a quick google search and saw something like $389. Sorry for all the questions; I can just google this myself, but I also take the advice of experienced owners too.

I'm in the UK, so prices are very different, but I imagine the $389 is for the part No 5. Maybe others on here can help with prices for parts.

If you look on youtube, there are videos showing how to replace yaw arms etc, which will give you an idea of whether it's something you would want to undertake.

Thank you very much! I can install it myself, I can do that type of thing. So far the best price I've found is still $389 USD. Thanks for your help. I consider the matter closed..............unless I have trouble/questions installing it when it gets here. :)

U could go with a rebuilt camera. They go for about $300. There are a few guys on here that sell them. Beware of Ebay. Hunch in one of the guys on here that sells them. If u were to try to rebuild it your self, the parts would cost about $100. I would not try to do it yourself as u never know if the motors work or worse yet the main board ( that box thing). I know that because I have rebuilt several.

In my opinion the best thing for you will be to buy a new cam/ gimbal for $389 total from DJI and eBay your broken cam for about 150-175

Broken cam for p3p has value cause one can convert existing p3a cam by replacing processing board and fan.

Thank you all again. I ordered the new one today for $389.00, 2 day free shipping. I removed the old one and to reverse the process will be easy. I would rather buy a new one and take the pain than a used or rebuilt one, which can be a gamble at best.

PS. It looks like I stigmatized myself by saying "the box thing". I'll always be known as "the box thing" guy now! Lol!

Reactions: rockydog
Hi Miquad,

Are you willing to sell you old camera? Because I have a broken top part op the gimbal where the motherboard is placed.

I'll post a photo. The camera lens is cracked. You may not want it. The camera completely separated from the motherboard so that plastic bracket is broken too. Sounds like the same thing you are describing on yours.

The new camera/gimble arrives today. I am assuming that it is basically "plug and play", meaning install, connect the ribbons and upon powering everything up it will do it's little "head wobbling" maneuver and find "level" and be good to go. Are there any other steps after installation that need to be performed?

Yess just plug it in. You should check the firmware. Install the latest firmware and then you can calibrate the compass again.

Do you have some photos of you old gimbal. Maybe I want to buy it. The camera and the gimbal doesn't matter to me but especially the top (flat) part of the gimbal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Depending on how old stock the camera is, you may find you need to to update it....the GO app will tell you if this needs to be done. You just need the latest .bin file on your card, and it will do the necessary. You may also need to do a gimbal calibration if your horizon isn't level.

I installed the new camera in about 10 minutes. Powered it up and it asked to be updated so I did that, and calibrated the gimble on a flat level surface using the GO app. I took it for a test flight and here is what I noticed that is different from the old camera.

Horizon was off by a very noticeable amount so I did a "gimble roll" adjustment. The adjustment was about 1.8 in the GO app. That seems like a lot to me, but maybe not. The other thing that does bother me a lot is that the horizon doesn't stay flat when I'm in a turn or when I slide left or right. It tilts in the video during the maneuver but then stabilizes flat again when I stop and hover. The old camera stayed very flat during maneuvers. That may be another adjustment, but I don't know what.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl