Hi guys, just bought a P4P & need antenna info..

Lgibson100

You have been lurking around for a while man! Get posting brother! Hit some replies! Last was 1 year ago lol, nah jks dude just messing with ya glad you enjoyed my read, I tend to get carried away once I start typing and end up writing a book instead of a reply

Save yourself from allot of hassle, and voiding of warranty, not to mention money, and get one of these, i tripled the distance on mine
Aluminum Parabolic Antenna Range Booster fr DJI Phantom 4 Windsurfer | eBay
Yeah thats the way I look at it some people around here just wanna sell you a suitcase with lights on it and tell you how awesome it works LOL
I live in the city and I've been flying the same route about a half dozen times and I'd always lose signal in the same area @ 7500-8000 ft.away but I added a $15 copper windsurfer thingy and went an xtra 2000+ ft tonight , so to me they're worth it .

Reactions: tak5501
I wouldn't think to much about which one, they all pretty much function the same, I'd go for the cheapest one that obviously has the reflective material and slides onto the antenna, but they are all pretty much the same as they all function the same which is to transmit the signal and reflect it from the antennas into the direction you are pointing them, so don't go to much into brands or anything, they are cheap though so you may as well get them and try them out and make your own assumption on wether they suit your needs

But Imo windsurfer are hit and miss, they DO work but they are extremely reliant on the direction they are facing and it can be quite hard to maintain that perfect direction, I started off using a windsurfer and I didn't know how to use and I would loose signal at <200m then I worked them out and it increased the stock range I was getting but nothing that great because they do not offer penetration, they direct the signal they way your facing them but if there is trees and buildings around they will not do that good (imo)

You want something that offers penetration as well as range, personally the penetration is more important for me as max range is not always what your are trying to achieve unless you strictly fly all the way out and back all the time, I like to be able to have a great signal in all areas and if I want to go the distance I can

Not trying to offend anyone so if I do I apologise, I'm just giving my opinions and feedback, take what you want from it but I think it's important people explain their views and experiences with others and help communicate so we can all educate ourselves and each other
All range extenders for DJI aircraft are based upon directional antennas. If you can't handle the directionality of a windsurfer, you won't be successful with a boosted external antenna either. The stock antennas are omnidirectional. The windsurfer simply pushes the entire signal forward, ideally straight ahead, if the parabolas are properly designed. It is not at all hard to maintain the perfect direction. Simply unlock the Map in GO 4 and keep the line to the home point vertical at all times. You will need to do this with any external antenna. No external antenna on the RC will amplify the video output power from the aircraft. You may increase your control range, but the FPV video signal will be your limiter. You can effectively put a hearing aid on the video signal by amplifying it at the receiving end, but that also amplifies the noise, too. DJI outputs more power on the 5.8Ghz band, so ideally, you want to use an external antenna that is designed for 5.8Ghz to take advantage of the higher power output from the aircraft for video, which is the real limiter. Hence, using the stock Auto 5.8 Ghz setup will be far better than a dedicated 2.4Ghz setup, assuming you know how to use it with a cheap windsurfer. The twin brothers in Orlando Florida have a great setup for the P4 and P3P and Inspire 1 which are exclusively 2.4Ghz. However, it's not designed for the P4P, which has a dedicated superior Auto 5.8Ghz system. Their antenna will still work, but is totally unnecessary for the P4P. Besides, I don't fly to attract attention and pick up chicks and make new friends. I want to fly under the radar, get in, get out, and not have anyone know I was ever there! :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah thats the way I look at it some people around here just wanna sell you a suitcase with lights on it and tell you how awesome it works LOL
I live in the city and I've been flying the same route about a half dozen times and I'd always lose signal in the same area @ 7500-8000 ft.away but I added a $15 copper windsurfer thingy and went an xtra 2000+ ft tonight , so to me they're worth it .
Yes, a cheap $4 to $15 windsurfer with the stock P4P in Auto 5.8Ghz is all the P4P needs. The windsurfer helps with the FPV stability, and the Auto 5.8Ghz setting gets me 4+ miles with clear LOS at 100' AGL, where the 2.4Ghz setting totally craps out at 2-3 miles at 400' AGL in the same area!

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
Yes, a cheap $4 to $15 windsurfer with the stock P4P in Auto 5.8Ghz is all the P4P needs. The windsurfer helps with the FPV stability, and the Auto 5.8Ghz setting gets me 4+ miles with clear LOS at 100' AGL, where the 2.4Ghz setting totally craps out at 2-3 miles at 400' AGL in the same area!
Yup I forgot to mention that I was using 5.8 Ghz also and the only reason I bought the $15 one was because it shipped from the U.S (Skyreat) and the $4 was shipping outa China which meant at least a 4-6 week wait..

All range extenders for DJI aircraft are based upon directional antennas. If you can't handle the directionality of a windsurfer, you won't be successful with a boosted external antenna either. The stock antennas are omnidirectional. The windsurfer simply pushes the entire signal forward, ideally straight ahead, if the parabolas are properly designed. It is not at all hard to maintain the perfect direction. Simply unlock the Map in GO 4 and keep the line to the home point vertical at all times. You will need to do this with any external antenna. No external antenna on the RC will amplify the video output power from the aircraft. You may increase your control range, but the FPV video signal will be your limiter. You can effectively put a hearing aid on the video signal by amplifying it at the receiving end, but that also amplifies the noise, too. DJI outputs more power on the 5.8Ghz band, so ideally, you want to use an external antenna that is designed for 5.8Ghz to take advantage of the higher power output from the aircraft for video, which is the real limiter. Hence, using the stock Auto 5.8 Ghz setup will be far better than a dedicated 2.4Ghz setup, assuming you know how to use it with a cheap windsurfer. The twin brothers in Orlando Florida have a great setup for the P4 and P3P and Inspire 1 which are exclusively 2.4Ghz. However, it's not designed for the P4P, which has a dedicated superior Auto 5.8Ghz system. Their antenna will still work, but is totally unnecessary for the P4P.

Your right it is exclusively for 2.4 and I'm sure they will release a 5.8 one but it does work with the p4p like u said only on 2.4 but I can use the 5.8 with the whip antennas, either way man I'm not telling you what to do, what ever works for you is great, but I do love the conquer and have zero regrets, however that's my opinion and I'm not trying to force it upon you. I do personally think they make great products and I'm happy to spend my money knowing it's going to a good set of guys who take pride in their work. I for one am the type of person who likes to fiddle around with things and make modifications and customise my toys to suit my needs and make them unique. Your absolutely right about the windsurfers being directional which is why at first they didn't seem to work until I understood the mechanics behind them but I still found the beam of signal they transmit to reliant, the conquer is directional to like u said every range extender is, but this also broadcasts the signal in a wider beam then most of the others so it has that benefit, my question to you is can you get as far out as you can go only needing to return due to battery life? Because with the conquer I can and still having full live feed signal and transmission signal only in areas like my backyard or clustered areas I won't get max distance but I get superior penetration, better then when I was using 5.8ghz transmission. 5.8ghz is designed for wifi heavy areas but not for long distance. You seem to be getting both which is great, also take into account that it depends where your located if you are in the USA the software allows longer range stock standard but in other areas like mine the software has been designed to be reduced. I originally thought this was determined from the place that you purchased the unit but I saw a post and it had a staff member from dji confirm that if you go to another area you will get that transmission eg FCC is 7km here in Australia it is reduced but if I travel to USA then my unit will run with the FCC compliance, I didn't know this until only recently when it was asked on a forum and a dji staff member explained and confirmed this, please see picture attached for stock range indications

Sorry if I offend you in any way Gadgetguy im not here to argue or fight, im here to educate myself and learn but it's great that these things are discussed to learn any potential information we may not know

5199c9c17437944e00681f23ad2d4474.jpg

In the picture above, you would be using FCC compliance giving you max 7km range and myself using CE which is 3.5km, just because of the location I'm in I'm getting half the max potential range, which is why this Conquer works wonders for me, but for yourself it maybe useless

Sort of like the Monster Cable demo systems in stores. Compare their long fat copper to long, thin copper. You hear the volume chop and decide, Wow! Ain't Monster Cable Great!!!!

Hey, thanks for the idea [emoji108]I'll get right on it with my "NEW SIGNAL BOOSTER" ...
taking orders starting now[emoji12]

Reactions: On_Bail_Cuz
Your right it is exclusively for 2.4 and I'm sure they will release a 5.8 one but it does work with the p4p like u said only on 2.4 but I can use the 5.8 with the whip antennas, either way man I'm not telling you what to do, what ever works for you is great, but I do love the conquer and have zero regrets, however that's my opinion and I'm not trying to force it upon you. I do personally think they make great products and I'm happy to spend my money knowing it's going to a good set of guys who take pride in their work. I for one am the type of person who likes to fiddle around with things and make modifications and customise my toys to suit my needs and make them unique. Your absolutely right about the windsurfers being directional which is why at first they didn't seem to work until I understood the mechanics behind them but I still found the beam of signal they transmit to reliant, the conquer is directional to like u said every range extender is, but this also broadcasts the signal in a wider beam then most of the others so it has that benefit, my question to you is can you get as far out as you can go only needing to return due to battery life? Because with the conquer I can and still having full live feed signal and transmission signal only in areas like my backyard or clustered areas I won't get max distance but I get superior penetration, better then when I was using 5.8ghz transmission. 5.8ghz is designed for wifi heavy areas but not for long distance. You seem to be getting both which is great, also take into account that it depends where your located if you are in the USA the software allows longer range stock standard but in other areas like mine the software has been designed to be reduced. I originally thought this was determined from the place that you purchased the unit but I saw a post and it had a staff member from dji confirm that if you go to another area you will get that transmission eg FCC is 7km here in Australia it is reduced but if I travel to USA then my unit will run with the FCC compliance, I didn't know this until only recently when it was asked on a forum and a dji staff member explained and confirmed this, please see picture attached for stock range indications

Sorry if I offend you in any way Gadgetguy im not here to argue or fight, im here to educate myself and learn but it's great that these things are discussed to learn any potential information we may not know

5199c9c17437944e00681f23ad2d4474.jpg
No offense taken. :cool: Enjoying the discussion, and the all-in-one setup these twin brothers in Orlando, Florida, make is one of the cleanest antenna mods for 2.4Ghz I have seen. It's perfect for the P4 and P3P in the U.S. In answer to your question, the battery power is the only limiter for me, not the range, on my stock P4P with a $15 windsurfer.
IMG_9579.jpg

When I am 4 miles away, with only 54% battery remaining, on a flight that has already flown 6 miles total, it's time to head home because of the battery!

You bring up an excellent point. I have not tested anything other than FCC power outputs. I was overlooking that you are in Australia with CE power outputs, which are flipped from FCC power outputs, with 2.4Ghz having more power than 5.8Ghz. What is the farthest range you have gotten with their setup under CE?

No offense taken. :cool: Enjoying the discussion, and the all-in-one setup these twin brothers make is one of the cleanest antenna mods for 2.4Ghz I have seen. It's perfect for the P4 and P3P in the U.S. In answer to your question, the battery power is the only limiter for me, not the range, on my stock P4P with a $15 windsurfer.
View attachment 80448
When I am 4 miles away, with only 55% battery remaining, on a flight that has already flown 6 miles total, it's time to head home because of the battery!

You bring up an excellent point. I have not tested anything other than FCC power outputs. I was overlooking that you are in Australia with CE power outputs, which are flipped from FCC power outputs, with 2.4Ghz having more power than 5.8Ghz. What is the farthest range you have gotten with their setup under CE?

Well that's awesome if your getting that with windsurfers, I'm actually very surprised [emoji15] now I understand your reasoning behind all of this and why you don't see a need to modify your controller. The compliance with FCC and CE was only brought up to me recently and I originally thought that if I purchased a unit from usa that I would get FCC but until the staff member from dji told confirmed that it changes when you enter or leave a specific region. I envy to have a FCC compliant unit here, just stock your getting double the range that I could both out of the box, which sort of annoys me but it is what it is, with the conquer I have reached 7km not sure how many miles that is that was flying over water and I have only tested the full range once but I'm sure I could push further as I returned slightly before the battery warning in case wind slowed its return , it took ages to come back lol [emoji23]. I personally never had that sort of luck with the windsurfers I did after learning the mechanics get an increased range but not to the extent your getting, you must be really good with the directional transmission. I completely understand your whole debate now as why would you spend anything on the controller when you can get that for like you said $15 but for me that wasn't the case, but I'm still very happy with my unit and I love how it's very easy to attach and detach and also add the whip antennas to it, and now that I have done some investigation and discussions with another guy on another thread I've realised that I can attach more then just this brand of mods onto it which in reality I don't think I will cause I don't need to but it's good that I'm not restricted and I never need to open the controller again.

In terms of warranty I had a motor failure which was confirmed by dji and got a replacement unit sent out but when I sent it I only sent the aircraft,gimbal and propellers they did not require my controller, at the time I didn't have the modifications done but I'm curious to know if that they would be able to determine I have modified my controller without seeing the modifications done? So if I don't send the controller how will it void my warranty? Just a curious question I'm hoping you might know. I can see your pretty switched on so thought I'd raise the question to see if you can tell me if you know the answer

7 km is the stock advertised range of 4.3 miles in the U.S. on both 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz under FCC. So, you are now getting our stock FCC range with your CE mod! :cool: With a similar mod here for the P4, using a boosted DBS-02 antenna, I get 6 miles, but that requires a battery mod to support that distance!

As to warranty, DJI does not need your controller sent in for warranty with the aircraft, and even if they did, you could just buy a used stock controller for under $300 and send it in with it. Plenty available from those newbies that crashed their P4P first day and gave up! ;)

P4P battery mods void your aircraft warranty, so they are to be avoided, until you know you have a good bird, or are out of warranty.:cool:

7 km is the stock advertised range of 4.3 miles in the U.S. on both 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz under FCC. So, you are now getting our stock FCC range with your CE mod! :cool: With a similar mod here for the P4, using a boosted DBS-02 antenna, I get 6 miles, but that requires a battery mod to support that distance!

As to warranty, DJI does not need your controller sent in for warranty with the aircraft, and even if they did, you could just buy a used stock controller for under $300 and send it in with it. Plenty available from those newbies that crashed their P4P first day and gave up! ;)

P4P battery mods void your aircraft warranty, so they are to be avoided, until you know you have a good bird, or are out of warranty.:cool:

Well I could have pushed more then the 7km but that does suck that you get that sort of range out of the box lol, I have heard of others using it and getting quite further but I personally haven't tried, yeah if I did need to send in the controller I'd just revert the mod to standard but then again that's only if I needed for warranty, if I had a crash using dji care refresh warranty or not I'm entitled to up to 2 replacement units, or could they deny that to me cause of the mod?

Well I could have pushed more then the 7km but that does suck that you get that sort of range out of the box lol, I have heard of others using it and getting quite further but I personally haven't tried, yeah if I did need to send in the controller I'd just revert the mod to standard but then again that's only if I needed for warranty, if I had a crash using dji care refresh warranty or not I'm entitled to up to 2 replacement units, or could they deny that to me cause of the mod?
The would just replace the crashed aircraft with a Refurb, while you keep your original modded controller, and charger, and battery, unless the battery was damaged, too. No point in going further than 7 km, if you can't make it back on the battery, unless you have a chase crew, or a buddy to pick it up at the other end of the one way flight! :cool:

The would just replace the crashed aircraft with a Refurb, while you keep your original modded controller, and charger, and battery, unless the battery was damaged, too. No point in going further than 7 km, if you can't make it back on the battery, unless you have a chase crew, or a buddy to pick it up at the other end of the one way flight! :cool:

Ok that's good to know

Yep exactly which is why the conquer suits me perfect plus the penetration in clustered areas was a massive thing for me also,

I also want to potentially try a 1 way flight test but it would require a lot of planning as it could go belly up real easy and fast, have you ever done one?

I also want to potentially try a 1 way flight test but it would require a lot of planning as it could go belly up real easy and fast, have you ever done one?
Not intentionally!
Had a few unplanned emergency landings, due to going too far for the conditions, and remaining battery wouldn't make it back home! :eek:

Reactions: On_Bail_Cuz
Sounds sort of like the kind of luck I'd have lol
Well, a planned one way flight, with someone at the other end, doubles your coverage distance, if the control range doesn't initiate a RTH from signal loss, in which case it could spell disaster, as it won't make it back home if it has flown more than 50% of the maximum flight time, when it triggers RTH, and then you'll need to put it down somewhere safely and discretely, and drive to recover it, before someone else finds it and "removes" it! :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arthurbiss