Help with Part 107 info

Reaction score
Hey guys I needed some help regarding making money with a drone. I’ve had a quad for a while now, and it quickly became my primary hobby. Now I’m upsessed with drones, and I’ve built my own and taken my phantom 4K all across the U.S. and in Iceland. I’ve made multiple YouTube videos, and I’d say I’m fairly proficient at using a drone. I was looking into real estate photography to make some money and I stumbled across the part 107. I clearly read the requirements, and there’s one problem. I’m still under 16 years old, so I cannot obtain the liscense. Do you think it would be a problem if I went ahead and tried to work for realtors if I explained my situation and charged less money? What is your opinion?

Charging less money won't help you. Even doing it for free won't help you. My opinion is you really need to get your 107 license or you'll find yourself in big trouble. So unfortunately you will have to wait until you're 16, but in the meantime you can study for the test and pass it on your birthday. Good luck!

Charging less money won't help you. Even doing it for free won't help you. My opinion is you really need to get your 107 license or you'll find yourself in big trouble.
Charging less money won't help you. Even doing it for free won't help you. My opinion is you really need to get your 107 license or you'll find yourself in big trouble.

Is there some way to get around it? Like if I argued I was just flying on private property with permission and then selling my footage as if it was my property?

No, there is no way around it. Trying to circumvent the FAA is - in my opinion - not something you would want to entertain. If caught, you will pay the price. Moreover, you mentioned posting lots of videos to YouTube. Bear in mind that if your videos are monetized, you could also run into problems there as well. Given your age, I'd focus my energies on the positive as opposed to trying to figure out how to skirt a regulation clearly in place.

Most realtors won't hire you these days without a Part 107. Keep in mind they also often require that you have insurance in case the drone crashes and causes damage. Study for the exam, bide your time, and do things legally.

To try to circumvent things is not the way to go. Sorry that is your philosophy. Even if you are 41 years old, you need to study and take the test like everyone does. Don’t circumvent the issues with a facade.

All good advice. Age is an issue as it is for most any Federal certification or licensure. You'll just have to hold out a bit longer. In the meantime, get better at your craft - everything from flying to vido editing. Learn more about cameras. Start working on a business plan. And get a head start studying for your Part 107 exam.

To the OP, perhaps you could work under another person who is certified. You could possibly be the "Person Operating the Controls".

Hello @Phantom1200 and welcome to the forums.

Keep in mind that we aren't talking about "suggestions" or guidelines but Federally mandated Rules and Regulations. If you screw up now and get blackballed you may knock yourself out of a career later on. This is a GREAT career path especially for someone who is young and eager to learn and do more.

Also please don't rush and start a business relying solely on Real Estate. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed if you try and make a living just from that one industry.

Study, get great at flying, learn photography and be a Subject Matter Expert.

Good luck and SAFE Flying :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik