FAA Part 107 sUAS Recurrent Test

Reaction score
So I took the recurrent test and passed on 3/4/20. I was told I wouldn't receive a new card, but would get a piece of paper indicating I was part 107 certified for another 2 years.
It's been 4 weeks now and I have not received anything from the FAA. All I have is the piece of paper from the PSI testing site showing I passed.
I tried the FAA websites including IACRA and cannot find anywhere to verify that they have received information that I passed the recurrent test.
Does anyone know if I should have received anything from the FAA or of anyway to verify with them that they know I passed the recurrent test?
I don't want to find out sometime in the future that the FAA doesn't consider my certification valid because someone dropped the ball or entered something wrong on the computer.
Surely I don't just carry this piece of paper I got from the testing site? I could have typed that up myself and saved $160.
Thanks for any help

I passed the recurrent test last summer and received a piece of paper - like you - confirming that fact from the testor with the instruction - as you have said - that I should retain it and keep it with me every time I fly. For the record, I have never had to show my card or paper to anyone proving that I am Part 107 certified.

Yep, the paper that you received when you passed the test is all you will get. The Airman Knowledge Test Report has control numbers on it that they can use to check to see if it is valid if necessary. They will use the FTN to check it.

Who is "they" that will use my FTN to check if it's valid? If they can check to see if it's valid, shouldn't I be able to verify myself that it's valid according to the FAA? There has got to be some way to prove my piece of paper is real or back it up if it's lost or destroyed.

Look on your AKTR and it will list the test date and expiration date. On the recurrent test they no longer use the embossed seal but if the dates are good the paper is good. Other than that advice you can call your FSDO and confirm with them. "They" would refer to the FAA or law enforcement. The following was located on the FAA UAS section:

Renewing Your Certificate
It's important for all pilots, including Certified Remote Pilots, to stay current and keep their knowledge up to date. That's why the FAA requires you to renew your Remote Pilot Certificate every 2 years. Learn how to renew your certificate.

• You must take a recurrent knowledge test at a Knowledge Testing Centerwithin 24 calendar months of passing the intial knowledge test.
    • After passing the recurrent knowledge test, you must be able to show a copy of your recurrent knowledge test report if asked.
Renewing Your Certificate

Last edited:
Congratulation to you guys for taking and passing the Recurrent Test. I'm in a pickle because my certificate expires this month, but I can't take the test because PSI has shutdown due to the coronavirus. I wonder if the FAA will give extensions due to this?

Not sure if they're giving extensions, but seems to me that as long as you have your original UAS pilot card that should suffice for now even if it has been 24 months since it was issued.

I appreciate everyone's input, but I still can't believe there is no way to prove my certification is renewed other than to carry a copy of my AKTR which looks no more official than a forged note to be excused from class. Not only do I not see any way to verify it is renewed thru the FAA website, but I don't even see a way to prove anything through the PSI website other than the emails I received from them. One of those email is supposedly a receipt and looks even less official than the AKTR I am supposed to rely on. The other emails simply state thanks for registering for the test. If i click on 'view my activities' on the PSI website, they show nothing for me past or present. I can't even view a receipt online. As far as contacting my FSDO, I have the distinct feeling they would treat me like an idiot and have no idea whether I exist or not, let alone even care.
I know I'm making too much out of this as I am sure my certification will never be so challenged, it's just that it makes no sense to me that there are so many rules to know and steps to go thru to obtain this part 107 UAS pilot card and yet after the fact it is treated like meh, whatever.

Reactions: loflyby
Congratulation to you guys for taking and passing the Recurrent Test. I'm in a pickle because my certificate expires this month, but I can't take the test because PSI has shutdown due to the coronavirus. I wonder if the FAA will give extensions due to this?
I'm in the same boat. I reached out to the FAA, and was told the dilemma is under review and that I was to check the FAA Drone Zone for updates.

I have never been asked to prove my certification. I think the whole scheme is a load of...

Should I pay another $160 so that I have something in my wallet NO ONE EVER asks for?

I would be surprised if any member of law enforcement, or who else would care even knows the certification program exists.

So I took the recurrent test and passed on 3/4/20. I was told I wouldn't receive a new card, but would get a piece of paper indicating I was part 107 certified for another 2 years.
It's been 4 weeks now and I have not received anything from the FAA. All I have is the piece of paper from the PSI testing site showing I passed.
I tried the FAA websites including IACRA and cannot find anywhere to verify that they have received information that I passed the recurrent test.
Does anyone know if I should have received anything from the FAA or of anyway to verify with them that they know I passed the recurrent test?
I don't want to find out sometime in the future that the FAA doesn't consider my certification valid because someone dropped the ball or entered something wrong on the computer.
Surely I don't just carry this piece of paper I got from the testing site? I could have typed that up myself and saved $160.
Thanks for any help
I did mine (recurrent) last year in May. at one point a few months ago I was asked to show my current status and had lost track of the "Passed" receipt I'd gotten from the testing place.
There is a way to get a copy of your status from the FAA. Had to mail in a $2.00 check & get it mailed back to me.
Go here: Airmen Certification – Replace an Airmen Certificate

And when you get the replacement, scan it, make a few copies I carry one with me when I fly in my Flight Log case and have a folder at home with the original and copies now...

I have never been asked to prove my certification. I think the whole scheme is a load of...

Should I pay another $160 so that I have something in my wallet NO ONE EVER asks for?

I would be surprised if any member of law enforcement, or who else would care even knows the certification program exists.

Agreed.

We got our drones registered with the FAA stickers/phone numbers on them, and got part 107 certified. And yet the local governments could care less if anyone has a "Part 107," as they are hiring people without them to do jobs. Even if we tell them they are supposed to cover their butts and only hire operators with Part 107's, they ignore the advice. Family members are seeing the same thing in different states.

Nobody cares, nobody asks for it or wants it. It's a joke. And we are supposed to re-take their stupid test EVERY TWO YEARS?

Reactions: Ruckert
Nobody cares, until there is an incident where you may be liable for damages or fines. Then it could be a very big deal....
Kind o like insurance. Nobody likes to pay for it. But when you need it you are **** glad you did...

Nobody cares, until there is an incident where you may be liable for damages or fines. Then it could be a very big deal....

That's EXACTLY what we told the local government offices.

Their reply was more or less "Well that's why those in business are to have their own insurance to cover expenses in case an incident occurs."

Frustrating when you try to show them laws that they are supposed to enforce (which shouldn't be OUR job) - and you get ignored.

I did mine (recurrent) last year in May. at one point a few months ago I was asked to show my current status and had lost track of the "Passed" receipt I'd gotten from the testing place.
There is a way to get a copy of your status from the FAA. Had to mail in a $2.00 check & get it mailed back to me.
Go here: Airmen Certification – Replace an Airmen Certificate

And when you get the replacement, scan it, make a few copies I carry one with me when I fly in my Flight Log case and have a folder at home with the original and copies now...
Who asked you for it?

That's EXACTLY what we told the local government offices.

Their reply was more or less "Well that's why those in business are to have their own insurance to cover expenses in case an incident occurs."

Frustrating when you try to show them laws that they are supposed to enforce (which shouldn't be OUR job) - and you get ignored.
I think at that point it's an insurance or personal liability play. The license doesn't have any financial impact on the outcome. You don't get a discount because you passed a test, but your drone took off uncontrollably.

Now if you were doing stupid moves and caused a reckless accident you may have your certification revoked (oh no), but what other consequence could really happen beside liability?

Who asked you for it?
I'm listed with this site Droners.io where you put in your profile and they refer you to people looking for drone pilots for jobs in your area.
They contacted me when my first 107 expired & asked me to update:

Hi, Jeff Ellis Photography. Just a quick reminder that the Remote Pilot Certification we have on file for you expired on May 31, 2019. In order to receive new job postings and use the jobboard, you'll need to update the license information on your profile to meet the FAA's requirements."

Truthfully I've never accepted a job from this site yet as most of the time people want to pay only $100 for a job that with travel & post would kill a 1/2 day or more for me. Not the kind of jobs I'd like.
But I figured if they were paying attention to the Certification, someone else down the line that mattered to me would be.
And there that whole FAA and possible liability thing.....

I think at that point it's an insurance or personal liability play. The license doesn't have any financial impact on the outcome. You don't get a discount because you passed a test, but your drone took off uncontrollably.

Now if you were doing stupid moves and caused a reckless accident you may have your certification revoked (oh no), but what other consequence could really happen beside liability?
Fines from the FAA, Drone confiscation, legal fees, general making your life miserable...
You don't have to be reckless to have an accident or a malfunction that causes your drone to fall out of the sky or hit something.

Also live in Chicago where the police have gotten very picky about where we can fly. I like to be able to show that I am a certified professional, doing my job-safely if questioned.

I requested a replacement on year after I passed the initial. When the new card arrived, the “date issued“ was the date they created the new card. It confused me at first because I thought I had another year to go.

I'm listed with this site Droners.io where you put in your profile and they refer you to people looking for drone pilots for jobs in your area.
They contacted me when my first 107 expired & asked me to update:

Hi, Jeff Ellis Photography. Just a quick reminder that the Remote Pilot Certification we have on file for you expired on May 31, 2019. In order to receive new job postings and use the jobboard, you'll need to update the license information on your profile to meet the FAA's requirements."

Truthfully I've never accepted a job from this site yet as most of the time people want to pay only $100 for a job that with travel & post would kill a 1/2 day or more for me. Not the kind of jobs I'd like.
But I figured if they were paying attention to the Certification, someone else down the line that mattered to me would be.
And there that whole FAA and possible liability thing.....
Makes sense...thank you

I requested a replacement on year after I passed the initial. When the new card arrived, the “date issued“ was the date they created the new card. It confused me at first because I thought I had another year to go.
Thats because they don't reissue a new card every time. And why they want you to keep the receipt of the AKT Passed Test safe. That is our only record of Recirtification.
The card you get initially is permanent. With the original issue/expired date

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31