Help w/ why P4P+ Lost Control & Crashed

wrd

Reaction score
Hi, I was flying P4P+, and showing off a bit, brought it down low on street level while someone was parking their car (stopped). Flew close to front windshield (about 1-2 feet above it) for 30 seconds, then quickly brought it up (about 100 feet).

At that point, it seemed to "drift" and not follow my commands, but I could still partially seem to control it's flight. It ended up flying forward ~100 feet, and I believe may have came close, if not in slight contact with top of a tree -- couldn't tell. I was pushing for it go higher, which it ultimately did, but wasn't easy to control.

From here, I knew things didn't look good, as the return to home didn't bring it back, so I tried manually. It seemed to drift and fight my controls, but I was able to get close to my house again. From about 100 feet above the house, it descended on it's own pretty quickly, and ultimately crashed (doesn't seem repairable).

I believe I was able to download the latest flight data, but I don't know how to view it or analyze it. When trying to attach it here, it says the file is too large. Not sure best way for someone to get a copy of it.

Would appreciate any help with determing where I went wrong with it. Thanks!

W

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Thanks for quick reply -- I'm not familiar where to find the TXT flight log. I was able to get into the flight data, but the files all end with .DAT. I didn't see any TXT files. Not sure if I'm looking in wrong area or not, but couldn't find other options. Appreciate any help....

I'm not familiar where to find the TXT flight log
See my link above.

You can upload the DAT flight log to a site like Dropbox.com and post a download link back here.

Here's a link to the folder in Dropbox with 2 DAT files....hopefully this may allow access:

Dropbox - DJI Phantom 4 Pro +
DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2018-02-24_17-25-20.DAT didn't contain any flights; i.e. no compressed FLYxxx.DAT files.

FLY079.DAT isn't the correct .DAT since there is no motorStart. FLY079.DAT was recorded at 22:02:46 02-24-2018 GMT if that helps you find the right one.

Last edited:
Would appreciate any help with determing where I went wrong with it.
We're going to need to see flight data to work out what happened.
Try going to DJI Flight Log Viewer
You will find instructions there with an extra note at the bottom for the P4 pro+
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record (.txt file) from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Guys, thanks for the help/suggestions with how/where to retrieve the flight data. I took a different approach, and reach out to my insurance agent where I took a policy out on the P4P+. Long story short is I'm getting full remimbursement for the entire P4P+ kit! Able to buy a replacement, or perhaps wait for different model (however, I don't see any good reason to move away from the P4P+). Hopefully they'll still insure my new drone given this incident!

Any suggestions on potential value of the "old" drone that crashed. Appears the major damage occurred to all 4 legs breaking, including a couple wires inside them. However, the camera "appears" to have not be damaged (but I can check further). Not sure if there is any potential salvage value for this, or if I just throw it out? Thoughts and thanks again!

Guys, thanks for the help/suggestions with how/where to retrieve the flight data. I took a different approach, and reach out to my insurance agent where I took a policy out on the P4P+. Long story short is I'm getting full remimbursement for the entire P4P+ kit! Able to buy a replacement, or perhaps wait for different model (however, I don't see any good reason to move away from the P4P+). Hopefully they'll still insure my new drone given this incident!

Any suggestions on potential value of the "old" drone that crashed. Appears the major damage occurred to all 4 legs breaking, including a couple wires inside them. However, the camera "appears" to have not be damaged (but I can check further). Not sure if there is any potential salvage value for this, or if I just throw it out? Thoughts and thanks again!
You're lucky to have an insurance policy on it. I can't get that in Canada.

Any suggestions on potential value of the "old" drone that crashed.
You could try selling it for parts on eBay.

So. Not bothering to find out what went wrong?
Insurance is great. Means you dont have to have a ****ing clue.

Probably the same thing will happen again.....

Last edited:
So. Not bothering to find out what went wrong?
Insurance is great. Means you dont have to have a ****ing clue.

Probably the same thing will happen again.....
As for the reason, I really believe what WV.Rootman suggested -- the metal/electronics from being near the car thru off the drone's calibration. I've never had any issues with flying it (about 80 flights), including 15 minutes immediately prior to getting right up near (within 1.5 ft.) of the car. Immediately after moving the drone away from the car is when it started acting funny, e.g. drifting, not fully responding to controls, nor following the RTH command. Seems to be the only thing that could have set it off like that. May still try to upload the flight data, but I have other things going on that are a bit more pressing, especially since I'll be more than good after insurance. Thanks!

y

I would be interested in it to try to repair it myself. Send me a private mail?

As for the reason, I really believe what WV.Rootman suggested -- the metal/electronics from being near the car thru off the drone's calibration. I've never had any issues with flying it (about 80 flights), including 15 minutes immediately prior to getting right up near (within 1.5 ft.) of the car. Immediately after moving the drone away from the car is when it started acting funny, e.g. drifting, not fully responding to controls, nor following the RTH command. Seems to be the only thing that could have set it off like that. May still try to upload the flight data, but I have other things going on that are a bit more pressing, especially since I'll be more than good after insurance. Thanks!

hey there, they way you described the 'partial control' and 'drifts with a mind of its own' with control coming and going describes perfectly what just happened to me - a year of no glitches, ever, then the thing you had. So terrifying (with a slow-mo combo of confusion and helplessness).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl