Reaction score
I am a 13 year old boy living in America. I run a small (microscopic) Aerial Photography Business in Pittsburgh, PA.

Last time, when we were photographing a Party with my DJI Phantom 4 Pro, some idiotic kid aimed and fired a Party Popper at my Drone, filling all the 4 Motors with Confetti. The "Motor Obstructed" Warning kept popping up.
I have quite a bit of Drone Flying experience, but I have never opened a Phantom and therefore am worried.

What do I do now ???

No need to open it just yet mate. Grab a small tooth pick (wooden or plastic) and go from there. Try not to poke the copper bearings but it should be an easy task without taking anything apart. Let us know how of went [emoji4]

Reactions: Zarvan
Well, i used a Earbud with most of the cotton removed. Removed the Confetti, Just to notice that there is a Ton o f Silly String wrapped around the bearings.:(:mad::(

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
you could try one of those cans of compressed air(air duster), like they use for cleaning keyboards.

Have you tried a vacuum? I occasionally place my vacuum nozzle over the motors of my P4 to remove any dust, pollen... from within. My nozzle has a little slider that decreases the suction, and I run it down to the lowest suction setting. You may want to try this while also slowly and gently spinning each motor. If you cannot adjust the suction from full, just hold the nozzle at a short distance from the top of the motor. I think full suction could possibly damage the motors. As far as the silly string goes, if it's the same type of stuff that we used to use in my younger days, it should dry out over time and become almost powdery. Then, it should easily vacuum out.

Just be very careful sticking anything into the motors. Things are fragile in there.

Guess what, after using compressed air and vacuuming the motors at the lowest setting, I took her for a flight. As soon as I took her to full throttle, the motors started smoking and out came melted shreds of latex.
I think that she had flown into a balloon arch the other day, but the balloon pieces went unnoticed. Now 3 out of 4 motors start smoking as soon as I fire her up.

Oh man.... Have you checked the copper inside each motors ? Are any of them black? It could be a sign of a burn out. But it could also be the debris being burnt

Reactions: Zarvan
There is some burnt latex in the copper windings. I think some weird paste inside. The body is intact though.

I am really worried. I can't tell my parents that I trashed my 1,600$ Quadcopter. My dad is an A-10 Pilot in the USAF and my mom is the captain of Madrid Maersk. They will be coming back in a few weeks from now.

What do I do??? I have a cheap Syma X5c which is my Backup Quad, but it doesn't shoot nowhere as good footage as my GoPro Hero 4.

Oh man.... Have you checked the copper inside each motors ? Are any of them black? It could be a sign of a burn out. But it could also be the debris being burnt

Yes the copper has some weird residue. I need help.......QUICK (my parents are coming soon)

At this point you basically have two options. First, take apart the motors yourself in an attempt to repair/clean them. OR Second, replace the motors.

I'd also advise against flying so close to people that they can shoot your drone with party poppers. :/

You could try blasting the residue out with some electrical contact cleaner,
You will have to be careful, as I have no idea what reaction it may have with the plastic.

> I can't tell my parents that I trashed my 1,600$ Quadcopter

Assuming all this thread true, you said someone else
"trashed" it, not you. Reasonable parents would not blame YOU.

Reactions: David Kraft

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers