Help... like some advice, should I get a different drone?

Re: Help... like some advice, should I get a different drone

jimdenburg said:
All I can say is that I've enjoyed the heck out of my P2V in the past 5 months! I've had plenty of crashes--all due to user error in one form or the other, but never a fly-away (and I REALLY hope that's not like mentioning a no-no in the 8th inning!). It has been helpful to read about all of the issues on this forum, not just the fly-aways, because I've gained more respect for the craft over the last several months. I think I was like most new flyers in that I felt like the Phantom would do anything I told it to do at any time, regardless of conditions or how far away I flew the thing. I mean, worst that can happen is it will fly itself home right?

What I've learned is that these things are not magic, there are tons of variables that can make the difference successful flight a crash or a "fly-away". So yeah, I'm a bit more careful, especially in the wind. I use prop-guards to protect my props and anything they could run into. I fly just about every day, concentrating more on the actual flying part rather than how high or far I can go. I'm still impressed by the technology and the unique footage I get from my P2V. And when I break it, I will get a +.

Ive said it before and i'll say it again Jim, ive been a fan of all your crash videos. Youve given me so many laughs but I'm glad I dont see you posting them anymore ;)

Thank you sir! Glad I haven't had any to post myself! I'm still amazed by the fact she still flies after the HARD crashes she's sustained! I did lose a battery after a drop into the trees that could have been attributed to a bad solder joint, but who knows? I still haven't replaced anything other than a couple of drops of solder and many, many props!

doug86 said:
JimDE said:
Doug conjecture or not what do you think US liability courts will feel is a acceptable level of innocent bystander injury or property damage for this little activity. I'll tell you ... None! Liability lawyers are chomping at the bits just waiting to get even one drone caused liability case especially as the commercial giants are trying to open this door..

Oh please... then why are we still flying after these cases?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/minute-mechani ... d=20182547

http://jalopnik.com/5617310/video-crash ... air-rights

http://anti-rice.com/smf/index.php?topi ... #msg103885

How many kids have been injured by those "control by wire" model aircraft? You can still buy those today.

Does the Phantom have the potential to harm if used by an unskilled operator? Of course, so is a chainsaw, but we haven't outlawed those either.

Doug I am not sure lawyers are not getting involved in those (pretty sure they are) but the big difference is chainsaw's and model helicopters do not have the same public interest as the word "Drone" today. Let a "drone" device cause injury or damage and the news will be all over it and then comes the litigation. I doubt the lawyers care to have Phantoms illegal to fly ( why would they as each one flying has a potential to make lawyer's more money) just to get compensation if one goes nuts and hurts someone or a property. I have never heard of a chainsaw getting a mind of it's own and flying randomly miles away and inflicting harm to person or property. Fact is the potential is not there with chainsaw's but it surely is with our current crop of Phantoms. Plus it can happen to the most experienced of pilots without a known cause or explanation. THAT is the the area of greatest concern. Flying one is just like hitting a golf ball through a tree.... eventually you will hit wood .... except in this case you'll have a mechanical crash or unexplainable fly away and where it ends up can be a life changing event.

We can all try and explain these things away as pilot error or inexperience or solar flares or whatever but the fact is they can and do happen without rhyme or reason and denial is not getting it fixed. Has nothing to do with gut's or glory ..... but everything to do with reliability, redundancy, and problems with the current technology. They have had 4 firmware updates in just 2 months (a few of these were botched releases) which does not sound like a product technology that is reliable and that the current customers are paying beta testers for them and they release firmwares when issues are found.

I choose to hit around the tree and get out of this before I hit wood and someone or something is damaged.

GMANNZ said:
I still dont get how the hell you can buy something , unpack it .. use it till your level of amusement lowers or a new version comes out, .... then return it when theres nothing wrong with it ??

If I was in business I would honour ... badly made goods or broken things in the supply chain ... but a "change of mind" after unpacking and use, really ??? ... to me is why most things these days are made in China, ... cause noone can afford to produce and take return of "change of mind" purchases, and keep profits flowing.

Tell the truth it made me laugh to see some here trying to rip off merchants by returning their "untouched" used Phantoms when the brand new shiny P2plus + came out .... the new shiny thing coming out created such a storm of comtempt it was hysterical ... the funny thing was they got there Plus+'s and now have problems with them as well ... was to me sort of karmic in a way. :lol:
HAHA I feel the same way. When I mentioned my dislike of this child like tactic I was attacked. When I make a commitment I stick to it. many of these pp should have to get a permit before they can buy a UAV. They are the ones that will kill the hobby.
These companies must create new products or fail.

Skipholiday said:
GMANNZ said:
I still dont get how the hell you can buy something , unpack it .. use it till your level of amusement lowers or a new version comes out, .... then return it when theres nothing wrong with it ??

If I was in business I would honour ... badly made goods or broken things in the supply chain ... but a "change of mind" after unpacking and use, really ??? ... to me is why most things these days are made in China, ... cause noone can afford to produce and take return of "change of mind" purchases, and keep profits flowing.

Tell the truth it made me laugh to see some here trying to rip off merchants by returning their "untouched" used Phantoms when the brand new shiny P2plus + came out .... the new shiny thing coming out created such a storm of comtempt it was hysterical ... the funny thing was they got there Plus+'s and now have problems with them as well ... was to me sort of karmic in a way. :lol:
HAHA I feel the same way. When I mentioned my dislike of this child like tactic I was attacked. When I make a commitment I stick to it. many of these pp should have to get a permit before they can buy a UAV. They are the ones that will kill the hobby.

I agree with reservations. I know that B&H has gotten a ton of real good free press because they've honored their return policy and while they might take a hit on the returns, I firmly believe they make up for that with new customers. So I'm thinking "the customer is always right" is probably the best policy, even when they may not really be "right".

indeed. B&H has done great. Amazon does well also and you can but the drops and spills warranty from smart guard for 4 years for $80 bucks. There's a few more stand up retailers.
jimdenburg said:
Skipholiday said:
GMANNZ said:

I agree with reservations. I know that B&H has gotten a ton of real good free press because they've honored their return policy and while they might take a hit on the returns, I firmly believe they make up for that with new customers. So I'm thinking "the customer is always right" is probably the best policy, even when they may not really be "right".

Well I'm sold now, after being told off, reading about flayaways, servicing issues, and it not even being mine I'm out and his company will have it back again. I could not afford to lose it to replace. It was fun while it lasted.

This is a good thing :) I know I'm stupid enough to maim someone, I think I actually have more fun watching the videos here and reading the discussions and seeing the ongoing way all this develops. I will fly the PV2+ for the guys and their little business as I think I have now the most knowledge to avoid the worst that may happen(that will happen).

What will happen is the company won't want it back and it'll sit here with battery's at half mast for about a year and I'll sell it on.
I'll place an advert here saying Phantom Vision 2 for sale, flown about and no more than 15 times, perfect condition (I never did crash it, even slightly). In a years time I'd put a dollar that no one wants it.

steveeds said:
Well I'm sold now, after being told off, reading about flayaways, servicing issues, and it not even being mine I'm out and his company will have it back again. I could not afford to lose it to replace. It was fun while it lasted.

This is a good thing :) I know I'm stupid enough to maim someone, I think I actually have more fun watching the videos here and reading the discussions and seeing the ongoing way all this develops. I will fly the PV2+ for the guys and their little business as I think I have now the most knowledge to avoid the worst that may happen(that will happen).

What will happen is the company won't want it back and it'll sit here with battery's at half mast for about a year and I'll sell it on.
I'll place an advert here saying Phantom Vision 2 for sale, flown about and no more than 15 times, perfect condition (I never did crash it, even slightly). In a years time I'd put a dollar that no one wants it.

Sorry to read about your bad experience. Here's a vid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQAIcFDCko

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4