Help clarifying National Park Rules

Reaction score
Friend of mine are having a difference of opinion on NP flying rules. Everything I've read and researched is that you are not permitted to fly a drone/UAV period inside any US National Park property. He says you can if you take off from outside of the park property, maintain VLOS and when you land that you also are completely back outside of Park property, that it is legal.
Anyone know if there is any truth to this, because all I can find is that you are not permitted at all. Appreciate any input from anyone.

re: NPS - They do not control the airspace but they do control the grounds that they manage. So your friend is "technically" right although I don't think it's a good idea.

I agree, your friend is correct but you still may get a visit by the park rangers. National parks, like most state parks, require a special permit to takeoff or land aircraft within its boundaries.

Reactions: rlphoto69
People have been harassed and issued a ticket because they thought they were clever when trying to argue this, which led to them having to spend hours in court trying to fight the ticket in court or pay the couple hundred dollar fine. Also, if your drone crashes in the park, you will probably have a bad time. If you want to take this risk, go for it.
Just realize that pissing off Park Ranger does not work out in your favor, no matter how much you want to argue as to whether they have control over the airspace or not.

Reactions: rlphoto69
People have been harassed and issued a ticket because they thought they were clever when trying to argue this, which led to them having to spend hours in court trying to fight the ticket in court or pay the couple hundred dollar fine. If you want to take this risk, go for it.
Just realize that pissing off Park Ranger does not work out in your favor, no matter how much you want to argue the semantics as to whether they have control over the airspace or not.

Do you have any references for the statement that tickets have been issued for overflying NPS land?

Friend of mine are having a difference of opinion on NP flying rules. Everything I've read and researched is that you are not permitted to fly a drone/UAV period inside any US National Park property. He says you can if you take off from outside of the park property, maintain VLOS and when you land that you also are completely back outside of Park property, that it is legal.
Anyone know if there is any truth to this, because all I can find is that you are not permitted at all. Appreciate any input from anyone.
Yes, your friend is correct.

Read this NPS memo for details. NPS Memo on UAV use

Specifically, FAQ #9.

9. Does it matter where an unmanned aircraft is used for the required closures to apply?

Yes. The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20