Help; Been Reported

Yeah, that's rotten advice,,,,,if your neighbor asks you not to photograph his back yard, you just don't do it....to do it and post it and cry free speech just makes you a jerk. "Highly recommend" sheesh! This kid gets the ill will of his landlord, the neighbors, the local police,,,for what?? Pictures of his garden?? Just delete them
I agree in part, it sounds like he was not filming legally as the laws over there state he can't do it without the owners consent. That being the case I would not share the video or pictures. Delete the other photos probably not.

I can say it again.... I'm not advocating, endorsing, recommending, agreeing with or condoning that someone ignore their neighbors request. What I _did_ state was that it's better for the person taking photos to specifically state that they will be used for distribution and not only for personal use. I'm pretty sure I avoid (yet again) stating that the OP should ignore his neighbors wishes.

How one exercises their US Constitutional rights is up to them. However, a right you don't stand up for is a right you may lose.

This might only be a person explaining that the taking of the photos is a right under the US Constitution and then agreeing to make an effort to avoid taking those photos. You don't need to piss someone off to express/keep your rights. Sometimes you only need to educate someone.

[P.S. I'm pretty tanked up on some medication so I hope that makes sense]
I think this is a reasonable response for someone in the US. In the UK he has a problem.

That's pretty much what I said originally, just delete the photos and not worry about it.
I might chose not to post them but delete them. No way. If I am flying where I have a right to fly I may not post the pictures at the request of my neighbor but I would not delete anything. Not unless I obtained them improperly. So in the UK yep delete them they are evidence of failure to follow the law. In the US I may not post them but delete them no way.

Did the police tell you that it was the same neighbour that phoned in the complaint as the one that you spoke to and agreed not to film his place? Is it possible that *that* particular neighbor is happy with your agreement and the phone calls were placed by other neighbours that you haven't spoken to?

Anyhow - as far as the neighbour that asked you not to film his yard is concerned - perhaps you should ask him when his crop will be ready and if you might be able to get a neighbourly discount on a dime bag!
:) (just kidding)

I agree in part, it sounds like he was not filming legally as the laws over there state he can't do it without the owners consent. That being the case I would not share the video or pictures. Delete the other photos probably not.

When you say "over there" I take it you mean the UK. If so, which law are you refering to that requires the owners consent to take photographs.?

When you say "over there" I take it you mean the UK. If so, which law are you refering to that requires the owners consent to take photographs.?

If it were me in that situation over there, I'd check on a couple of things:
1. If there really is a law that says you must have the owners consent to take photos of his property - I'd read the fine print about what constitutes "taking pictures" of someone else's property. There may be an official legal definition. I can't imagine that a picture which is 90% your backyard and 10% his would constitute you taking pictures of his property. Suppose your had family over for a barbecue in the backyard? Nearly every photo that's taken will have a small piece of someone else's property in it! If that were the way the law was written, they might as well just ban outdoor photography except in public parks and attractions. My point is that even if there is a law about requiring the owners consent - you might still be fine unless the picture is 50% or more his backyard.
2. You're renting. Is your neighbour that's doing the complaining also renting or is the the owner? If he is not the owner - he may not be able to assert things that the owner can. If he is renting - it may be productive to track down the actual owner and befriend him. Tell him about your drone and what you're doing with it. Show him some nice aerial shots of your property and offer to take some of his property for him for free. If the owner of the property gives his blessing for you to fly over his property (at a reasonable altitude) - there's not much the renter can do to override that.

In any case - I wouldn't delete the pictures you've already taken - but depending what I discovered when I read the fine print of the law - I might edit the photos and crop out everything beyond the property line.

Well, there are two distinct aspects to this situation.

The first being about flying the machine itself. That aspect is covered by the CAA regulations as follows:-
Small unmanned aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority

The second aspect is about taking photographs of people, or property in general, which is well covered by the following:-
Photographers Rights: the ultimate guide | Digital Camera World

The photographic aspect for both the above links primarily relates to privacy and there are no laws in the UK which protects a person's rights to privacy, which is why I asked the question in my previous post. It is not a criminal offence to invade a persons's privacy, although they may take up a civil action depending on the circumstances of the alledged breach, but it is certainly not a matter for the police, or any criminal action.

However, there is IMO a moral obligation to respect other peoples reasonable expectation of privacy, but attempting to stop a person from photographing your house, or garden from a distance of 50m is rediculous. Heck, I can stand on a hill miles away and get much better photographs of people and property with my Nikon P900 zoomed to 2,000mm and they would never know. Not that I would ofcourse.;)

You live in one of the most stunning parts of the country.

Stop flying in your back garden and take it to some of the amazing landscapes you are surrounded by :)

I've just got a P3A and can't wait for my next visit up there - will definitely be bringing it with!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20