Help; Been Reported

Please don't let this small incident hurt your enjoyment of flying your quad.... that was a very nice gift to you and it would be awful if you let this incident affect your enjoyment.
I know this seems like a huge incident now, but it really isn't, and you may have more because there are stupid people out there that have nothing else better to do in their lives than to cause others grief.
Just make sure you do your best to stay within regulations in your area, and don't do stupid things.

Have fun flying!

I suspect people without one of these think we can zoom in spy on them, etc. Have you ever offered to show him the footage or is he just pretty anti-social?

Nope, ive never spoke to him in all the time ivr been here,just that one complaint, I was just shocked and didn't want to start an argument tbh

I agree. I wouldn't stay up at night worrying about this. Erase everything and just chill out. If they wanted you bad enough and thought you're a threat or invading privacy of others, I'm sure they'd already be knocking your door down. Just relax and wait it out. I truly doubt they will come bust your door down and demand your drone and all video/photos. If anything, they'll slap you on the hand and tell you to just be careful and avoid this neighbor. If you're a first time..um..so-called offender..it shouldn't be a big deal. Now, if you see a helicopter with men repelling down to your garden..start worrying. All kidding aside, just relax and let the cards fall where they may. There's nothing you can do about it now.
Erase everything? Lol [emoji23] are we still talking about the Bobby wig garden toy video?

Reactions: TWP723 and Deep6
Hi Bobby

I apologise now as I've skimmed through this thread so may have missed a few points. My initial thoughts are, 1 as Xitor touches on: communication.
Go speak to the guy, apologise, and explain what your doing and what the video / images may or may not show. OK, whether you have anything to apologise for is subjective, but it gives you a path to get your neighbour onside and ease his concerns.

I suspect people without one of these think we can zoom in spy on them, etc. Have you ever offered to show him the footage or is he just pretty anti-social?

Chances are, he doesn't understand much about the drone and assumes your snooping on him, for whatever reason. The fact that there are loads of high level aerial pics of his property online will not reduce his concerns of being 'spied' on by his neighbour. Even though in reality you're just flying for fun.

2. I'd generally stay away from flying within houses / estates / densely populated areas. Certainly if you do go above fence (and head) height. A flyaway / failure can occur for a number of reasons, without warning. And even a small Phantom in a slideslip into a childs head can be life changing. You don't want to live with that, trust me.

3. If you are in some form of social / council property (UK). You will find there are many restrictions and limitations to the tenancy agreement. These will include things like noise, anti social behaviour / the use of powered / noisy equipment and a host of other things.
So while you feel you've done nothing wrong or illegal, you may have crossed a line in these terms. Again, not worth the hassle or potential penalties.
Often these terms and restrictions use loosely worded language like 'reasonable' and other subjective words. When reviewed by people that do not understand (or like) hobbies like drones, reasonable turns into unreasonable very quickly.

4. The Police would have been round by now if they were called. And, if you had done anything serious, the CAA would have been involved alongside the prosecution service. The best advice here is: know your stuff! If the average Bobby knocks on your door asking about your drone & flying, chances are they wouldn't have a clue what a CAP 658 was.
BUT! There are a load of other laws that you could be infringing: Noise. Anti Social behaviour. Breach or the peace. Privacy. Data. etc. etc. etc. Some civil, some criminal.

Speak to your neighbour and try and keep your drone away from people as far as practicable.
;)
NP

Reactions: TrevorTron
Bobby,
I think you were wise to ask those who "should" know. It's a shame that some people feel the need to jump on your case just because you ask.
Please don't let those few who do stop you from asking questions you feel are important to you. Noone knows it all. But some act as though you should.

I wouldn't worry too much. Seems you weren't deliberately doing anything wrong.
I would absolutely hate to see authorities getting persnickety over small potatoes like this.

Be safe.

Reactions: TrevorTron
Hi Bobby

I apologise now as I've skimmed through this thread so may have missed a few points. My initial thoughts are, 1 as Xitor touches on: communication.
Go speak to the guy, apologise, and explain what your doing and what the video / images may or may not show. OK, whether you have anything to apologise for is subjective, but it gives you a path to get your neighbour onside and ease his concerns.

Chances are, he doesn't understand much about the drone and assumes your snooping on him, for whatever reason. The fact that there are loads of high level aerial pics of his property online will not reduce his concerns of being 'spied' on by his neighbour. Even though in reality you're just flying for fun.

2. I'd generally stay away from flying within houses / estates / densely populated areas. Certainly if you do go above fence (and head) height. A flyaway / failure can occur for a number of reasons, without warning. And even a small Phantom in a slideslip into a childs head can be life changing. You don't want to live with that, trust me.

3. If you are in some form of social / council property (UK). You will find there are many restrictions and limitations to the tenancy agreement. These will include things like noise, anti social behaviour / the use of powered / noisy equipment and a host of other things.
So while you feel you've done nothing wrong or illegal, you may have crossed a line in these terms. Again, not worth the hassle or potential penalties.
Often these terms and restrictions use loosely worded language like 'reasonable' and other subjective words. When reviewed by people that do not understand (or like) hobbies like drones, reasonable turns into unreasonable very quickly.

4. The Police would have been round by now if they were called. And, if you had done anything serious, the CAA would have been involved alongside the prosecution service. The best advice here is: know your stuff! If the average Bobby knocks on your door asking about your drone & flying, chances are they wouldn't have a clue what a CAP 658 was.
BUT! There are a load of other laws that you could be infringing: Noise. Anti Social behaviour. Breach or the peace. Privacy. Data. etc. etc. etc. Some civil, some criminal.

Speak to your neighbour and try and keep your drone away from people as far as practicable.
;)
NP

Thank you so much for the advice, I won't be flying it around my garden area I'm going to take it to a big park when I can, thanks for the advice!

Bobby,
I think you were wise to ask those who "should" know. It's a shame that some people feel the need to jump on your case just because you ask.
Please don't let those few who do stop you from asking questions you feel are important to you. Noone knows it all. But some act as though you should.

I wouldn't worry too much. Seems you weren't deliberately doing anything wrong.
I would absolutely hate to see authorities getting persnickety over small potatoes like this.

Be safe.

Thank you so much!!
Very kind :)

I can relate a little to your situation, as I enjoy flying from my back yard here in the States. While my property is quite small, there is loads of open fields nearby, but to get to them I have to fly over a couple of neighbors houses. I usually try to keep my flight path over peoples houses that I have a good relationship with and don't mind, but the biggest property adjacent to me, which is of course a direct line where I want to go, is a small suburban farm owned by some very "odd" to say the least, people who seem to be the type who would react as your neighbor has. Knowing this, when I first got my drone, I kept an eye out for her and intentionally went out and started fussing about with it where she could see me, when I saw her looking, I then initiated a conversation about my new "toy". I shared my excitement about it, and assured her that I wouldn't be flying it low over anyones property, buzzing her animals or anything like that, to which she replied "that's good, then I wont have to get ma' shotgun out..." I also added that I wanted to film the new train station going in nearby over the next 2 years, which is the other side of her property, and that she may see it way up high on its way over there... So far so good. A little bit of goodwill and communication goes a long way. Do a bit of research on your laws, go chat this fella up a bit, if you see him out there, take the drone, and an extra pint with you, and ask him if he wants to check out your new toy. If none of that works, make sure your within' your rights and following all applicable laws in your area, and don't be a ****, but I would continue flying personally. Of course I own my house and don't have a landlord to worry about evicting me... In your case, you may have to cease flight operations if you want to keep living there... Good luck.

Reactions: Wang J Coon
Thank you for defending me, and I totally agree, you practically get a 360 view and street view on Google of this guys property, all footage is for personal use, we share a garden fence, I normally fly quite high so you can't see. When he originally complained I was flying less than 2ft of the ground, the fence is around 8ft maybe more...
Tell him if he's so worried, take on the government for the satellite views. He's just a frustrated nobody that has nuthin' better to do than complain to those he can harass.What started as an innocent, interesting hobby, is turning into a nightmare of regulation and ignorant perceptions.

Tell him if he's so worried, take on the government for the satellite views. He's just a frustrated nobody that has nuthin' better to do than complain to those he can harass.What started as an innocent, interesting hobby, is turning into a nightmare of regulation and ignorant perceptions.

I know, its not good for us drone flyer :(

Hello, I live on an estate on the edge of town, I have a very large back garden, bout size of a football pitch, maybe bigger, and someone reported us to the housing lot, (our landlords) the landlord mentioned that the police maybe getting involved.

The complaint was about the Camera.

The other day a man, who shares a back fence, asked me not to Face the Camera towards his property and I have not, not on purpose.

Did you ask him if he also called Google Earth and asked them to do the same? You could print out a picture of his house from Google Earth and hand it to him. May be a little confrontational but it makes a point.

Reactions: SGs
I personally feel myself I've done nothing wrong, but that's just me, that's why I'm asking for other people's help and opinions.

Sounds to me like you are being very responsible and are trying to be a good neighbor. So civil....so civilized. Personally, I congratulate you. Whatever you're doing, please keep doing it.

One, I don't understand by people are saying I'm not a good neighbour, he said he didn't mind me playing with my toy as long as the Camera isn't on his property, and that's what I did, when I was about to film I was just doing a shot at about 2ft of the ground, not even at fence level.

I don't know who the guy is, I've never spoke, nor met him before, but I stopped, even though what I've read up on camera regulations mean I'm doing nothing wrong. And that's the problem to this guy.

I just don't understand why he'd report me to my landlord agency, after he sorted the issue out with me first hand?

I came on here for a little bit of advice, because I got my drone for my birthday, and after this I might return it.

I haven't been very well over the past few years, and I didn't want anymore stress as it can take me back to the first step.

I don't need you guys having a go at me, looking down your noses.

Thank you.
Bobby,

I replied before congratulating you on your being so civil....so civilized....in your handling this issue. Take it from somebody with 68 years of experience, there are life situations that arise that just plain defy reason. People like to think that we live by "reason" and "logic", but we usually don't. People live mostly by "emotion" and "self-interest. Thus, you will often face situations where "reason" and "logic" utterly fail to win the day. Get used to it.

You will probably fail to win over your neighbor because he's utterly convinced that you're out to do him harm with your little drone and camera. As long as you're flying out of your garden, there's probably nothing you can do or say to him to make him think differently. He's not listening and not thinking. Don't bang your head on this brick wall. It will do you know good.

As far as people working you over on this forum, don't let them get to you either. Americans especially are often very quick to get emotionally outraged over perceived violations of their rights expressed in the current U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. Most haven't even read it since some tenth grade history teacher forced them to read it, but they'll yell and wave it at you over some perceived violation of their rights in a whipstitch. Once again, it's all emotion and self-interest. No logic or reason.

How did you folks in the UK get so darned civilized and civil without a constitution? LOL.

Reactions: wolvesfc
Bobby,

I replied before congratulating you on your being so civil....so civilized....in your handling this issue. Take it from somebody with 68 years of experience, there are life situations that arise that just plain defy reason. People like to think that we live by "reason" and "logic", but we usually don't. People live mostly by "emotion" and "self-interest. Thus, you will often face situations where "reason" and "logic" utterly fail to win the day. Get used to it.

You will probably fail to win over your neighbor because he's utterly convinced that you're out to do him harm with your little drone and camera. As long as you're flying out of your garden, there's probably nothing you can do or say to him to make him think differently. He's not listening and not thinking. Don't bang your head on this brick wall. It will do you know good.

As far as people working you over on this forum, don't let them get to you either. Americans especially are often very quick to get emotionally outraged over perceived violations of their rights expressed in the current U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. Most haven't even read it since some tenth grade history teacher forced them to read it, but they'll yell and wave it at you over some perceived violation of their rights in a whipstitch. Once again, it's all emotion and self-interest. No logic or reason.

How did you folks in the UK get so darned civilized and civil without a constitution? LOL.
Well firstly we learnt the correct use of the letter 'z'.. Try it, it even feels civilised ;)

Sounds to me like you are being very responsible and are trying to be a good neighbor. So civil....so civilized. Personally, I congratulate you. Whatever you're doing, please keep doing it.

Hey, thank you that's very kind, I've read both of your posts, but only quoting this one as it won't take so much up.

But thank you very much.

I'm generally a calm person, people really need to annoy me to get me going, I felt it wasn't a bad thing on his behalf, to ask for that. I just think reporting me was a step to far, especially after I dealt with it.

BIG update;

So today we had a knock at the door it was the Police, they've just basically told me the rules and stuff.

Also apparently they've had "Several" phone calls, about my drone, and they have video proof.

If anyone spying its defo not me.

I just don't understand why people would go to the police if they have an issue, they should speak to me directly, I like to think I'm a nice guy.

Honestly now not liking this neighbourhood

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl