Help; Been Reported

Reaction score
Hello, I live on an estate on the edge of town, I have a very large back garden, bout size of a football pitch, maybe bigger, and someone reported us to the housing lot, (our landlords) the landlord mentioned that the police maybe getting involved.

The complaint was about the Camera.

The other day a man, who shares a back fence, asked me not to Face the Camera towards his property and I have not, not on purpose.

UPDATE; March 1:

BIG update;

So today we had a knock at the door it was the Police, they've just basically told me the rules and stuff.

Also apparently they've had "Several" phone calls, about my drone, and they have video proof.

If anyone spying its defo not me.

I just don't understand why people would go to the police if they have an issue, they should speak to me directly, I like to think I'm a nice guy.

Honestly now not liking this neighbourhood

Last edited:
If you're doing something illegal, stop. If you're not, then don't worry about it. What am I missing?

If there are no law or regulations being broken and you are following the procedures for your country then I don't see how you would be in any trouble from it.
I would assume your land lord will ask you not to fly there to avoid issues with the neighbor?

If there are no law or regulations being broken and you are following the procedures for your country then I don't see how you would be in any trouble from it.
I would assume your land lord will ask you not to fly there to avoid issues with the neighbor?
If you're doing something illegal, stop. If you're not, then don't worry about it. What am I missing?

What's illegal what's not?

I'm flying above my garden, and when the Camera is down obviously his back garden gets in shot, when I got my camcorder, I read tht your allowed to film if your on your land or public land, even if its filming private land because I'm still on public land.

I am located in England UK

Hope your not a member of the generation that's feels compelled to post any image or video you posses to social media..barring that, review your media, delete any images or video of his property. Delete it from your library in the DJI app as well

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: TrevorTron
So you are piloting an aircraft but haven't even bothered to check the laws in the UK?
Dude, it took me less than 15 seconds just to find them on this forum. You should have done so before your first flight!

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Small unmanned aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority

It appears that flying within 50 meters of a building, structure or people is illegal unless the people are aware and agree to your flight, as well as the building and structure owners.

Last edited:
What everyone else said!!

But..makes one wonder WHY this particular person doesn't want his property on video? Hmmm

Hope your not a member of the generation that's feels compelled to post any image or video you posses to social media..barring that, review your media, delete any images or video of his property. Delete it from your library in the DJI app as well

Nope, I'm very private.

So you are piloting an aircraft but haven't even bothered to check the laws in the UK?
Dude, it took me less than 15 seconds just to find them on this forum. You should have done so before your first flight!

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Small unmanned aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority

It appears that flying within 50 meters of a building, structure or people is illegal unless the people are aware and agree to your flight, as well as the building and structure owners.

Nope, I done Weeks of research and got the leaflet that came with the drone. No need to be so judgemental

Last edited:
Reactions: m0j0 and JKDSensei
Nope, I done Weeks of research and got the leaflet that came with the drone. No need to be so judgemental
When you say:
It makes it appear you are clueless about the law, and opens you up to judgment.
If you did weeks of research, you should know the law and not have to ask here what you did wrong?
Good luck.

This does may not apply in the UK but in the US I'd highly recommend that when asked what you will be doing with the photos or video I'd state that they _were_ going to be posted for others to view. The reasoning with this is that the photos would then be considered as "free speech" and protected under the 1st Amendment. Some courts have ruled that if the photos are not going to be shared then it's not freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is the communication of ideas which included photos.

Reactions: ObiDon and J.James
Yeah, that's rotten advice,,,,,if your neighbor asks you not to photograph his back yard, you just don't do it....to do it and post it and cry free speech just makes you a jerk. "Highly recommend" sheesh! This kid gets the ill will of his landlord, the neighbors, the local police,,,for what?? Pictures of his garden?? Just delete them

....to do it and post it and cry free speech just makes you a jerk.

That's right... if someone wants to take away your Constitutional rights, just let them. You should roll over and allow them to violate the highest of your rights. It's not like giving up your rights means the person will continue to put their incorrect beliefs above everyone else's Constitutional rights.

I also missed the part where I recommended anyone continue to fly over someone else's property when they ask them not to.

It's not a question of the OP getting photos of the neighbors yard... he has stated he's not targeting them. What he wants is to fly his drone around his home area and obtain photos of the other areas. He just happens to catch his neighbors yard. As pointed out, just as others have done and supplied to such companies as Google.

Not standing up for your rights means you _will_ one day lose them.

When you say:

It makes it appear you are clueless about the law, and opens you up to judgment.
If you did weeks of research, you should know the law and not have to ask here what you did wrong?
Good luck.

I personally feel myself I've done nothing wrong, but that's just me, that's why I'm asking for other people's help and opinions.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yeah, that's rotten advice,,,,,if your neighbor asks you not to photograph his back yard, you just don't do it....to do it and post it and cry free speech just makes you a jerk. "Highly recommend" sheesh! This kid gets the ill will of his landlord, the neighbors, the local police,,,for what?? Pictures of his garden?? Just delete them

I didn't do it after that? I done one wide shot, his house was in it, like about loads of others.

I've NEVER posted anything about my drone on any social media websites, that's why I ain't done a review yet as I want to be MILES away from my home and neighhood, I'm very private, I do alot of video editing, and the shots are just to add a new dimension.

I just don't want to get in trouble. :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
That's right... if someone wants to take away your Constitutional rights, just let them. You should roll over and allow them to violate the highest of your rights. It's not like giving up your rights means the person will continue to put their incorrect beliefs above everyone else's Constitutional rights.

I also missed the part where I recommended anyone continue to fly over someone else's property when they ask them not to.

It's not a question of the OP getting photos of the neighbors yard... he has stated he's not targeting them. What he wants is to fly his drone around his home area and obtain photos of the other areas. He just happens to catch his neighbors yard. As pointed out, just as others have done and supplied to such companies as Google.

Not standing up for your rights means you _will_ one day lose them.

Thank you for defending me, and I totally agree, you practically get a 360 view and street view on Google of this guys property, all footage is for personal use, we share a garden fence, I normally fly quite high so you can't see. When he originally complained I was flying less than 2ft of the ground, the fence is around 8ft maybe more...

The part I don't understand is that your back garden is bigger than a football pitch yet you are renting it?

In the UK most gardens are tiny. So is the 'garden' you are taking off in just yours or is it a common area?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31