Hello from the South of the UK

Reaction score
Very much a newbie to dji drones but very tekkie so hoping to pick up very quickly. Thought I'd pop in and say hi.

My P3S has yet to have it's maiden flight but I have had some previous experience.

My trouble at the moment is where to go to fly here...

(Also if anyone knows of a good pdf crib sheet lurking for all the pre, inflight and post flight checks I'd be very grateful!)

welcome to the forum Nerak , im from the North East of bonnie Scotland so dont know of any nice spots to fly down your way , take a trip out to the countryside ? :)

someone will hopefully be along shortly with a checklist , it certainly helps

Njoy your droning :)

Good to have another UK pilot. Greetings from up North. Sorry I do not know any places to fly down your way, but I would recommend staying well away from people, all the negative drone stories in the news are sensitising people to have a negative view. I have only ever had one negative when flying on National trust land, you would be surprised how much land and coastline they own, and have a total ban on flying.
Enjoy your new sport.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .

Thanks everyone.

Located Winchester area.

Still not decided where to have my first flight everywhere seems to be a big no no :-/

For your first few flights i would go to a local park just to get a feel for it. I have never had a negative response from anyone just keep a safe distance from people
(get ready for lots of questions !! )
I recently had a day out in Portsmouth flew over the Windmill on the A3 near Horndean and when you get some more confidence Southsea is good i flew out to Spitbank port from the grass area next to skate park. I am planning on flying over greenham common air base soon Here are some pictures...Enjoy :)
DJI_0002.JPG
p2.JPG
p12.JPG

Thanks klongx I doubt my footage will look so good (or get so high) and I won't be going over water for quite some time as it wusses me out I'll lose (drown) it!

The more you fly the more your confidence will get ..I remember flying mine the first day and being amazed i had it hovering over my house !!

Welcome to the forum

If you have not already done so, check the CAA rules for flying UAV's.

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). Click on the link to view their web site :-

British Model Flying Association

It costs £33 at the time of writing.

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice.

You might like to try the following apps.

The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play

And :-

No Fly Drones

If you have any questions just ask, but try doing a search first. Its more than likely it has already been asked.

If is any help, here is my preflight check list. You can adapt it to suit you. I have it hanging on to my controller and run through it before take off.

P3A PRE FLIGHT CHECK LIST

1. Fit leg extenders
2. Remove gimbal lock
3. Clean camera lens
4. Inspect propellers
5. Install propellers and tighten.
6. Gimbal not obstructed
7. Tablet to R/C cable attached
8. Tx top left switch to P-Mode (To the right)
9. Tx ON
10. Phantom ON
11. Tablet ON
12. Open GO App
13. Tap large GPS box on Go App for aircraft status.
14. Enable ‘Multiple flight mode’.
Tap Tx – Tap quad symbol - enable ‘Multiple flight mode’
15. CHECK BATTERY STATUS (Cells)
16. Check satellite status
17. CHECK A/C GREEN LIGHTS FLASHING
Check status if not.
18. CHECK HOME POINT RECORDED
19. Takeoff & Hover 30 seconds & check stability
21. Fly to 5m away and move mode switch from P to F.
22. Tap controller symbol on tablet & select HOME LOCK
23. When stable flight enter camera menu
24. Tap WHITE BALANCE and set sunny / dull

R/C EXP & Gain (0,5 - 0,4 - 0,5)
IMU values (0, 1, 1400 -1600)

AND

Here is something I discovered yesterday.

I crashed and lost the a/c and wondered if I would ever find it again.

To make it short, I lodged in a tree going backwards and as I was looking at the screen I lost contact with eyeball Mk1, but I could see on the screen that I was at an altitude of 6 feet.

I walked to the row of trees 300 feet out still looking at my screen map on the satellite view. I could see the red pointer a/c position. As I walked I saw a blue slowly moving dot and wondered what it represented. As I walked the dot moved and it dawned on me that this was the map position of the controller that I was carrying.

I walked towards the a/c symbol so that the blue dot and the aircraft symbol merged and nearly trod on the a/c in the very tall grass. It had fallen out of the tree and suffered a broken prop with no other damage.

So, I have posted this to make other pilots aware of the relationship of the blue dot and the controller since I have never seen or heard of it before. My apologies if you know about the blue dot. I didn't.

Sheer magic.

Happy flying Captain ;):)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Located Winchester area.

Still not decided where to have my first flight everywhere seems to be a big no no :-/

If you are wise, get to know the flight characteristics of the Phantom before you do anything adventurous. Find somewhere open and get the landowners permission to fly off their land. For the first dozen flights or so, don't go above say 75 feet. Practice in Atti mode too is always a good thing.

The vital thing is that you get to know your a/c - and DO NOT go out of visual contact with the a/c. Its so easy to do that. I speak from experience.:rolleyes::(

Its good to select the beginners option to start with.

Have fun.

Thanks. I have not had too many flights due to family commitments but i have capped my height with 'beginner' mode and flown very close. Teenager keeps saying to be more adventurous but even though i have insured the drone for accidents i'm chicken to push my luck.

Thanks. I have not had too many flights due to family commitments but i have capped my height with 'beginner' mode and flown very close. Teenager keeps saying to be more adventurous but even though i have insured the drone for accidents i'm chicken to push my luck.

I would say you are being wise - not chicken. ;)

We all know teenagers like to 'Go' without any experience. They learn the hard way.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new (got my drone last week) and I'm near Winchester. All my flights so far have been from my garden (and one in the kitchen but I'm not doing that again!)

Plenty of places to fly if you head out to the country side!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.