Hello from Northern Alberta

Reaction score
I live in the frozen wastelands of Northern Alberta (6hrs north of Edmonton).... I am a new pilot, just got a Phantom 3 Pro. Hoping to get out and do some arial photography soon... though it gets a tad chilli and not sure if I'll be able to do much before spring.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Reactions: CuAllaidh
Hellooooooooooooo from Kansas City......Yes your are UP in really cold country....i have read many posts of those that fly the drones UP their in very COLD weather and its a very important thing to keep the battery warm before it slipped n locked in place for a flight.......its also good to take off and hover 4 or 5 feet UP for a at least a minute to warm that battery even slightly more....No matter what..... you will not get a normal airborne flight time in cold weather so very carefully watch your battery level in the app and land before it go's in to return to home point (RTH) ! The Best of Luck to YOU !

Thanks folks... been lurking around reading lots of threads, learning as much as I can.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Welcome to the forum! :)

I live in the frozen wastelands of Northern Alberta (6hrs north of Edmonton).... I am a new pilot, just got a Phantom 3 Pro. Hoping to get out and do some arial photography soon... though it gets a tad chilli and not sure if I'll be able to do much before spring.
Welcome fellow Albertan!! I'm in Edmonton and I'm also a recent buyer of the P3P. Btw you can fly your Phantom in cold weather, just make sure you always start with a warm fully charged battery.

Welcome fellow Albertan!! I'm in Edmonton and I'm also a recent buyer of the P3P. Btw you can fly your Phantom in cold weather, just make sure you always start with a warm fully charged battery.

Thanks for the info, great to know. :D

This is a pic from one of my first flights... cleaned up the image in Light room, but I think it turned out well.

DJI_0015.jpg

Thanks for the info, great to know. :D

This is a pic from one of my first flights... cleaned up the image in Light room, but I think it turned out well.

View attachment 106939
You say you're 6 hrs north of me? I see mountains, Ft st john or nelson?

I am in Fairview AB just north of Grande Prairie

Welcome to the forum! :)

Yes, it'll be a lot colder where you are than here in Southern New Brunswick...currently it is minus 14 Celcius this morning with a stiff NW wind blowing. :(

I'm flying a P4P and have been flying almost 6 years..........came up through the ranks of the P2s, P3s, and now the P4P.

I find that once we get past November, I have to pick my times when I go flying........no fun flying when it's cold and you are freezing your fingers off.
Much nicer in the summer,right?

Still, there are nice occasions in the winter where you can get some flying in.
I'm always aware that it's colder at altitude than it is on the ground.
Meaning that if you are thinking of flying and the temperature on the ground is, say, 0 Celcius, it's colder than that 350 feet up........it could be minus 3 or 4, or colder.
Something to bear in mind.

Flights in cold weather also negatively affect the performance of your flight battery,controller battery, as well as the battery in your mobile device.

I've been flying in cold weather(minus 8 Celcius) and had my flight battery at 84% and, within several minutes, it has dropped to 63%.
That doesn't happen in warm weather operations......so, you really have to keep your eye on the status of your flight battery when flying in the cold weather.

That said, enjoy the forum and all the great information you will get and benefit from the experience of Phantom pilots out there who are ready to share things they have learned from years of flying.
Greetings from New Brunswick!:)

Reactions: Hounddog

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn’t call any parts of Alberta wasteland - your province has some of the most spectacular scenery in Canada. It’s a beautiful area to do aerial photography.

Chris

Reactions: 3rdof5
Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn’t call any parts of Alberta wasteland - your province has some of the most spectacular scenery in Canada. It’s a beautiful area to do aerial photography.

Chris

I say "frozen wasteland" more tongue in cheek than serious. I love where I live, and yes I am so looking forward to a number of shots I have in my head already. I am originally from South Western Ontario and my family and I have a running joke about me living in the frozen wastelands and them l being soft sotherners who live in the tropics.

Reactions: Chrislaf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic