Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought the phantom 3 standard and have been taking it out on a few flights in my local area. I am comfortable flying and can handle most average conditions really well, but I am not too sure on how to improve my video techniques.

I have made a compilation of my most recent flight through the DJI Go app, and I think I got some pretty nice shots. I was flying in a local town call Newtownards, which is in Northern Ireland and it's situated at the top of Strangford Lough so there really is some great scenery to admire.

. I really don't have any ideas or preconceptions about how to improve my videos so any help/criticism you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Reactions: rattydude77
Good footage? A trip to the Giants Causeway would help.
Next is camera settings. Auto is a no-no. Manual is the way to go.
ISO at 100, white balance (WB) is set so that white is presented as white.
Shutterspeed at 1/50 of a second. Framerate at 24 FPS. Shutterspeed should be double the framerate.
Now your footage will be overexposed unless it's dark outside, so buy a kit of ND filters,-ND4, ND8, ND 16 and ND 32. Use the ND filter that gives you a EV of close to zero. Underexposure is preferred to overexposure. If overexposed it can't be corrected in post. Underexposure can be corrected.
Also look at the settings in the go app for sharpness, contrast etc. Do some test footage for different settings and choose the settings that give the best results.
Then read about image composition,- "rule of thirds".
Then learn about video shooting techniques,- overhead, reveal etc. etc.
Youtube is your friend here.
Edit footage in Adobe Premiere Pro,-learn the software,-learn how to color grade.
Follow these guidelines and your footage will be great.
And . . . . make flightplans.

Last edited:
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.

Never been to Ireland but on my bucket list....beautiful country.
Emtor gave some extremely good/succinct advise.
I've been flying over a year and am still learning with a lot more to do. The camera settings continue to be daunting.
I came into the hobby with little to no familiarity with photography so there has been a rather steep learning curve.
How deep you want to get into video editing etc is very personal and varied. Some people simply want to fly for fun and are quite content with the camera set to auto as it still shoots amazing video. They may not even bother downloading from the SD card and are content with what is recorded to the phone/tablet.
For others, use of a video editor is the way to go. How far one plunges into using it is also varied. I use filmora but only in a most basic way at this time (color grading etc. is still to be learned).
For basic video here is what I have found some satisfaction with: I set the camera at auto and use a polarized filter if it is quite sunny.
In terms of suggestions for improving the cinematic effect they are pretty simple: try to get the foreground and background of your video in motion with each other (fly sideways, circle, capture change in altitude). Flying straight forward for extended time can be boring. There is little motion and no surprise. Only thing changing is that which the camera is viewing is getting closer. Simply flying in reverse (reveal) changes this dramatically! New views are constantly presenting themselves.
I took a flight around my neighborhood the other day and made the attached video. Not sure how interesting it is but tries to include the above elements.
Happy flying. Maybe I'll make to Ireland someday!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for very good advice.
Regarding Ireland. -A very nice and peaceful place with very friendly people.
Visited Dublin a few years back. The Irish love to talk to strangers, which started when going through customs even. The customs officer just wouldn't stop conversing.
-And the food there. The bread they make is so good you can't stop eating.
I just love the Irish with their crazy sense of humour.
Go there!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers