Heli Pad

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm wanting to build a portable helipad for my phantom 4 with leveling legs and the whole 9 yards. I want this to be able to fold down to fit in vehicle trunk. My question is, would using metal hinges interfere with imu and gimbal calibrations? Just looking for other pilots ideas, I like to play around and build things so I'm looking to build something really cool here, just want to make sure that using metal hinges will be ok. Thanks!

Reactions: BMZ06
Probably, the rebar in my driveway messes with it. I would assume so. If you have access to a 3D printer I'll bet you could make a plastic hinge. I haven't looked but they probably have one at menards or somewhere like that.

I would think about aluminum or brass hinges and alum rivets maybe. It is ferrous metal which is a problem, right, so anything a magnet is uninterested in should be fine.

I wonder how stainless steel affects it. It is non ferrous, but IS steel.

I have thought about a launch box too, as I am using one of those Home Depot Large moving boxes now. Trendy looking, sure, and foldable, but still just not what I would prefer. :)

Last edited:
Hobby shops and some hardware stores sell plastic or nylon hinges. I've drilled and tapped wood, the added some CA glue for thread strength and re-tapped, for nylon screws too when I built RC planes.

I have been using a foldable table it is 2 foot wide and 4 foot long when unfolded. The top is plastic and folds in half to carry. It has metal legs on each end that are connected at the 2 foot wide gap. The legs also slide into themselves in three positions and fold flat when the table is folded. When folded it is 2 foot by 2 foot with a cloth strap for a handle. I have a phantom 4 and have never had a problem flying off of or landing on it. Sometimes I just leave it folded up flat on the ground and launch and land that way. Other times , like if I am going to be at the beach all day I set it up because it keeps it out of the sand . Having it setup is nice ,no bending over or getting down on your knees. Like I said , never a problem because of the metal legs and when folded it lays in the bottom of the trunk and is maybe 4 inches thick.

captain kush

Last edited:
Yeah but i'm wanting to build something a little more fun than that...lol
Yep I can understand you wanting something more than a disk. I am thinking of building a pad myself, why because we can and it's fun to build stuff. I'm just glad I did not have to build the craft! lol

I've just been using a piece of plywood that I keep in the shed to launch from in my backyard. Would love to build a little landing pad though. Someone built one here that's AWESOME! Has lights and everything!

I've looked at a lot peoples ideas about helipads on the internet. My biggest concern was building one that could fold and not have metal interference with the hinges. Might have to get online and find some plastic hinges.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Why not get customized welcome mat? It will be heavy enough to not move around and you can roll it up when you are done? No metal parts and no hinges to deal with. Plenty of places online to order from. Here is one that lets you use a photo for the design.

Those light reflectors look great but I would be concerned about the steel reinforcement ring that could impact the compass.

Have to verify if that's an issue?

Just my two cents.

Best regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

admittedly we still have to work on portability.

other than that, our drone pad works just fine

Last edited:
Reactions: Yough
I bought a plastic table from target. It's 2 feet tall and ALL plastic. Works perfect for a takeoff and landing pad. Never interference since it's all plastic

I have been using a foldable table it is 2 foot wide and 4 foot long when unfolded. The top is plastic and folds in half to carry. It has metal legs on each end that are connected at the 2 foot wide gap. The legs also slide into themselves in three positions and fold flat when the table is folded. When folded it is 2 foot by 2 foot with a cloth strap for a handle. I have a phantom 4 and have never had a problem flying off of or landing on it. Sometimes I just leave it folded up flat on the ground and launch and land that way. Other times , like if I am going to be at the beach all day I set it up because it keeps it out of the sand . Having it setup is nice ,no bending over or getting down on your knees. Like I said , never a problem because of the metal legs and when folded it lays in the bottom of the trunk and is maybe 4 inches thick.

captain kush

I have seen tables like what you describe sold in a lot of places. Thought about getting one, but like others, I was afraid of the metal. Do you remember where you got yours?

I use a crawfish tray as a launch pad. It is round so looks like a copter launch pad. It is a common item in southern Louisiana, but it may not be an item on the store shelves everywhere. Although I am sure you could order from Amazon or elsewhere.

It is cheap about $4. I have drove of and left one a time or 2. I was on a commercial construction site with my launch pad on a newly poured foundation of a building. A woman yakin on her cell phone drove onto the 8" thick slab (surprisedshe didn't blow a tire as hard as she hit it) and ran over my launch pad. So cheap is a good thing. I printed some shipping labels to decorate it up some. I attached some s-biners to hang it on my drone backpack. You can hike with it, or as the pics imply, bike with it.

I had intended to build a folding leg system for it. But even at the beach, I find a full throttle launch keeps it out of the sand. So I have stuck with keeping it simple.

20170205_100016.jpg 20151209_142714.jpg 20151209_142914.jpg 20151209_142742.jpg

I use a crawfish tray as a launch pad. It is round so looks like a copter launch pad. It is a common item in southern Louisiana, but it may not be an item on the store shelves everywhere. Although I am sure you could order from Amazon or elsewhere.

It is cheap about $4. I have drove of and left one a time or 2. I was on a commercial construction site with my launch pad on a newly poured foundation of a building. A woman yakin on her cell phone drove onto the 8" thick slab (surprisedshe didn't blow a tire as hard as she hit it) and ran over my launch pad. So cheap is a good thing. I printed some shipping labels to decorate it up some. I attached some s-biners to hang it on my drone backpack. You can hike with it, or as the pics imply, bike with it.

I had intended to build a folding leg system for it. But even at the beach, I find a full throttle launch keeps it out of the sand. So I have stuck with keeping it simple.

View attachment 75454 View attachment 75452 View attachment 75453 View attachment 75455
How do you keep a breeze or light wind from blowing it away? Is this similar to what you have?

How do you keep a breeze or light wind from blowing it away? Is this similar to what you have?

I have flown in wind strong enough that I should not have flown :eek: But I have never have a problem with the launch pad lifting. I did make a plan for it though. I have a few aluminum tent spikes that I can put through the S-biners

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj