Heating up batteries?

Reaction score
My P3 kept warning be today that it was advisable to wait until by batteries had more temp. Is it risky flying with cold batteries and if so what Is the best way of heating them up prior to flight?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI has some good tips on caring for the batteries in cold weather here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are flying in a cold climate it is advisable to keep the batteries in your pocket till use. If you are in extreme cold weather they sell battery warming boxes or some people have made their own from a cooler box with a heating pad in it or those small chemical hand warmers. If it is not much below freezing keeping room temp from your pocket should suffice. I fly in New York winters and just carry them in my pocket to keep it warm with body heat.

We don't need any heating in California but some days if I am leaving early morning, I assemble 4 on a coaster and keep my hot coffee cup on them. After that they work like crazy horses.

Re your first question, first let's define cold. DJI apparently defines it at 15 C (59 F) which you might not think is cold but your battery regards 15 C as cold. Yes, it's risky flying with cold batteries but it's especially risky in cold weather. The risk is you might unexpectedly get a sudden voltage drop in one of the cells causing a sudden and unexpected critical battery auto-land or even a drop from the sky. The good thing is your battery will warm up while it's discharging, so if you're in a moderate air temp with a fully charged battery it's not as important. But in cold weather, you want to be sure your battery is at least above 15 C and you'd want 20 C (68 F) to be safe if you're flying in cold weather. Hope this helps.

We don't need any heating in California but some days if I am leaving early morning, I assemble 4 on a coaster and keep my hot coffee cup on them. After that they work like crazy horses.

More so because they are near caffeine or the warmth of the coffee? I think some testing should be done.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl