HDMI output options - DJI module vs Shield, etc

Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up the Avegant Glyph head mounted display.

A couple general questions:

1. When using the DJI HDMI module, does the main device make a difference in quality/performance? For instance, will a better phone or tablet give better results out of the HDMI module, or is that outside the loop from the module to the Glyph?
  2. Along those lines, since I am considering a new tablet anyway, the Shield is a potential choice because I can get it new for $165, whereas the HDMI module is $99 on it's own. Is there a significant advantage to using the HDMI module instead of a tablet with HDMI out?
Thanks!
(P4P)

Last edited:
When using the DJI HDMI module, does the main device make a difference in quality/performance?
No.

the Shield is a potential choice because I can get it new for $165, whereas the HDMI module is $99 on it's own. Is there a significant advantage to using the HDMI module instead of a tablet with HDMI out?
When using the HDMI output module, you'll see a separate screen in the goggles with the option to display OSD information (height, distance, speed, tilt, battery level, etc.). You could also hide the OSD information and just show the live camera view.

DJI-GO-HDMI-Image-Output.png

Since the screen is separate, you could do other things in DJI GO on the tablet without affecting the view in the goggles. That might be useful if someone else is wearing the goggles.

Here's what the screen looks like with the OSD information displayed:

FPVGogglesView.jpg

Note: If using the P4P+ remote controller, you'll see exactly what is displayed in DJI GO on the remote controller's display.

When using the Nvidia Shield K1, the goggles will display exactly what's on the tablet screen. You can swipe up/down in DJI GO to go to full screen mode. Once in that mode, you'll have the option to display the mini map at the lower, left corner. If you switch the map to the radar view, it'll disappear when in full screen mode. You'll also see the tablet's battery level at the top, right of the screen if using the current version of DJI GO. There is no way to remove the battery level.

Here are the available views:

1) The normal DJI GO screen:

FPVGogglesView-All.jpg

2) DJI GO running in full screen mode with the mini map displayed:

FPVGogglesView-WithMap.jpg

3)
DJI GO running in full screen mode with the radar displayed (which isn't shown):

FPVGogglesView-BatteryLevel.jpg

Reactions: qtonic and Daskid
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. That's exactly the info I needed.

I assume the various view options are approximately the same when using Litchi?

I don't see any camera settings or status in the OSD info. I guess if wearing goggles like the Glyph I'd just need to look down to make changes?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31