Haven't flown since April

Reaction score
I know there has been a host of software updates but I'm hesitant to upgrade anything because of the concerns I was hearing about the new process for activating software and firmware updates this past May. I'm going to be doing some flying next week and really don't want to have any problems when I'm out in the boonies. Recommendations?

DO NOT....I REPEAT....DO NOT UPDATE!!!!!! You are ONLY asking for trouble if you do. If it flys good now LEAVE IT ALONE. Just go thru the threads on here and see for yourself about all the nightmares and in my case NFZ's where they shouldn't be and bam you are grounded. It took me two weeks to figure out how to roll back the firmware and GO 4 app.

I've upgraded and haven't run into any trouble yet. If you decide to upgrade and you run into trouble, it's easy to downgrade back to an earlier firmware version.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
I've upgraded and haven't run into any trouble yet. If you decide to upgrade and you run into trouble, it's easy to downgrade back to an earlier firmware version.

That is COMPLETE nonsense! Once you update you CANNOT roll back anything without hacking. Better think twice and actually read thru some of the threads before following msingers advice. Just remember DJI WANTS you to update to take control OUT of your hands and IN TO THEIRS!

That is COMPLETE nonsense!
The only thing that's nonsensical is assuming everyone who updated is now suffering through some type of nightmare that is preventing them from flying. You could find hundreds of threads on a wide range of problems if you spend even a few minutes digging around in this forum. Again though, that doesn't mean everyone is facing those problems.

Once you update you CANNOT roll back anything without hacking.
The firmware can be downgraded using the DJI Assistant 2 application. For firmware versions earlier than what is available in the DJI Assistant 2 application, they can easily be installed with this tool. It's really not as hard (dangerous?) as you make it out to seem to be.

Don't fix what's not broke. If you're happy with how it flies, don't change anything. If you want to upgrade, DON'T DO IT just before you really need it, like vacation. When things can go wrong, they will, with the worst timing. FYI, If you have 1.3 .509 firmware I'd would stick with it.

Last edited:
The only thing that's nonsensical is assuming everyone who updated is now suffering through some type of nightmare that is preventing them from flying. You could find hundreds of threads on a wide range of problems if you spend even a few minutes digging around in this forum. Again though, that doesn't mean everyone is facing those problems.

The firmware can be downgraded using the DJI Assistant 2 application. For firmware versions earlier than what is available in the DJI Assistant 2 application, they can easily be installed with this tool. It's really not as hard (dangerous?) as you make it out to seem to be.

Yes you can use this method as I did as well but WHY go thru the headache of having to do it in the first place? Upgrading adds NOTHING and ONLY gives you less control of WHEN AND WHERE you can fly! It just doesnt make sense but everyone has to figure that out for themselves I guess.

Reactions: NTBoyes
Upgrading adds NOTHING and ONLY gives you less control of WHEN AND WHERE you can fly!
I've read threads where some people experienced such issues, but I've had no trouble with my Phantom (so far). I've been able to fly anytime and anywhere I wanted to fly.

I've read threads where some people experienced such issues, but I've had no trouble with my Phantom (so far). I've been able to fly anytime and anywhere I wanted to fly.

I would be willing to bet that you are one of a shrinking few who are able to do so as the NFZ areas continue to expand.

Here on the West coast, we have more open land, but a lot of airports and military bases.
Back East, I can see that the issues are greater.

Reactions: JetLife
I would be willing to bet that you are one of a shrinking few who are able to do so as the NFZ areas continue to expand.
Why are you trying to fly in NFZs anyhow?

Why are you trying to fly in NFZs anyhow?

Because they are only NFZ because DJI thinks they should be with no rationelle. If you read thru some of the threads you will see where people are getting "cannot take off" and are nowhere near NFZ. Just because you haven't had this problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist so why gamble and screw up your drone FOR NO GAIN IN BENEFIT WHATSOEVER

Because they are only NFZ because DJI thinks they should be with no rationelle.
I cannot relate to this one. The only NFZs by me are airports and military bases.

why gamble and screw up your drone
As long as there is a way to go back, I'll never feel like I'm gambling.

FOR NO GAIN IN BENEFIT WHATSOEVER
I've flown DJI drones long enough to know they include undocumented fixes and features in new firmware updates. That's primarily why I always update.

Hey azgeek since msinger is SOOOO confident in DJI's ability to make firmware updates run smoothly you hold him personally and financially responsible for when it doesn't ..,lol

Don't you get updates all the time for your Windows or Android machines, not to mention Apple/Mac. Patches, bug fixes and maintenance releases are crucial, to keeping a system working.

Reactions: msinger
Hey azgeek since msinger is SOOOO confident in DJI's ability to make firmware updates run smoothly you hold him personally and financially responsible for when it doesn't ..,lol
Maybe drones is not the best hobby for you. It seems to make you a very negative person (check out all of your recent posts where you're attacking other forum members).

If @azgeek decides to upgrade and needs help downgrading later, I'd be happy to help. I'm here every day helping other forum members.

I'm really surprised to hear this comment coming from you..
I think it's perfectly fine to roll back to any firmware that DJI actively supports (even if it requires a 3rd party app to do so). Why DJI doesn't allow it to be rolled back to some older versions from the DJI Assistant app is a different story. It's common practice for all of their drones.

Reactions: azgeek
I do appreciate all of the advice. I had upgraded in April but was have difficulty with one of the rotors "surging" afterwards and was able to roll back to the previous firmware release with no problem. I'll try to upgrade today and let you know how it goes. @msinger - I might be asking for help, so thanks for the offer.

I know there has been a host of software updates but I'm hesitant to upgrade anything because of the concerns I was hearing about the new process for activating software and firmware updates this past May. I'm going to be doing some flying next week and really don't want to have any problems when I'm out in the boonies. Recommendations?

100% up to date on P4P (and MP) with no issues. iOS/iPad 4 Mini. (iPhone 6+ for the MP).
Indeed some of my furthest distance flights were on Friday afternoon.

DJI issues do include (in my case) class C warnings where there is no class C airspace at all...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl