Have Ipad GS what's better about PC GS?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just ordered a 2 in 1 computer/tablet that runs windows - and one of the reasons I ordered it was I was thinking I would eventually like to try the PC version of GS (I currently run the ipad version, which works fine - but I heard the PC version is much more fully featured)

What are the best features of the PC version in you opinion? Anything I need to know switching from iPad to PC version that may not be obvious?

Thanks!

Buckaye said:
Hey guys,

I just ordered a 2 in 1 computer/tablet that runs windows - and one of the reasons I ordered it was I was thinking I would eventually like to try the PC version of GS (I currently run the ipad version, which works fine - but I heard the PC version is much more fully featured)

What are the best features of the PC version in you opinion? Anything I need to know switching from iPad to PC version that may not be obvious?

Thanks!

I've played with both, prefer the iPad version. The PC GS is complex and not easy to navigate, in my opinion. It feels clumsy to me and reminds me of a program we used to load from floppy disks. It seems they've invested more into the iPad app, which makes sense.

job2310 said:
Buckaye said:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I've played with both, prefer the iPad version. The PC GS is complex and not easy to navigate, in my opinion. It feels clumsy to me and reminds me of a program we used to load from floppy disks. It seems they've invested more into the iPad app, which makes sense.

Thanks!

Interesting... and not all that surprising. But does it give you access to different controls? Or some kind of better fidelity?

I'm also interested in whether it keeps connected better with the Phantom - the ipad version seems to lose connection easily, and I can't tell if it's an ipad thing or the actual ground end and air end connection that's the problem.

Buckaye said:
job2310 said:
Buckaye said:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Thanks!

Interesting... and not all that surprising. But does it give you access to different controls? Or some kind of better fidelity?

I'm also interested in whether it keeps connected better with the Phantom - the ipad version seems to lose connection easily, and I can't tell if it's an ipad thing or the actual ground end and air end connection that's the problem.

It does give you more granular controls but as I said, it's not as simple to work with as the iPad version. It's worth playing with though and if you've bought the 2.4Ghz setup then it's free, so why not?

As for the connection, I don't think it will make a difference. I think the problem is between the "air end" and the "ground end". From reading other members posts it seems to be a fairly common thing for the signal to be lost at a relatively minimal distance. One of the joys of using the busy 2.4Ghz band I guess? The tips I've read are all around ensuring you have a clear line of sight at all times and if possible, elevate the ground end as high as you can.

Hope this helps.

yep! thanks

I just wish they would make a Android app for the GS .

i have just this morning emailed the DJi and asked the question on when an if they are going to make a android app for the GS.

The GS app is there already in the Vision app for android , so imo. its just a matter of splitting these to Things apart.

maby i should become a cracker and reverse engenier that thing my self ;-) LOL

One other difference with the PC interface is that it has provisions for connecting a joystick to fly with. I haven't tested this yet but it's on my list.

OI Photography said:
One other difference with the PC interface is that it has provisions for connecting a joystick to fly with. I haven't tested this yet but it's on my list.

yeah i noticed that...that could be cool

If you are using the ground station with Datalink adapter it has many features the Android/apple version lack. (http://www.dji.com/product/pc-ground-station/feature). There are no range or altitude limits. You can edit and save flights on the PC. You have a MUCH greater range for viewing live telemetry. You can see real time location, air speed, vertical velocity, pitch, and altitude. I have my antenna elevated about 40 feet in the air and I can get a signal as far as I can fly the quad copter, which is closing in on 3.5 miles away. You have the option of flying the Phantom with a joystick if you feel the need. It has an auto-land option. You can reprogram the waypoints while it's flying. If none of that interests you then the extra money wouldn't be justified. I purchased the 900Mhz version since I am flying the Phantom 2 vision and the 2.4Ghz datalink will interfere with my wifi/video signal. It's substantially more expensive than the 2.4Ghz. $520 vs $199.

I have a different opinion about the ground station software for the PC. It could use a facelift, but as far as editing a flight it couldn't be easier. And it's nice to be able to set at a computer any time of the day or night and plot out flights that you want to take. One click to open up the editor, click new, click the "+" button to add a way-point and click on the map. Repeat for the rest of your flight. Up to 16 way-points. For each you can program speed, (real speed, not "slow or fast") up to 20Km/hr, loiter time at the way-point if you want, direction to face at the way-point, if you want to swing around and look at something, and Of course altitude. You can also trigger radio channels, which I haven't messed with as of yet. Some other options that I can't remember off the top of my head.

And when I want to fly I don't have to waste battery time plotting things out. Upload the flight plan and once I get a GPS lock I just click "GO". Easy-Peasy! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl