Has ANYONE found a 3rd party Remote ID retro/module provider?

Reaction score
If you've been following the FAA for some time, you probably know they aren't good at meeting dates. I wouldn't be surprised if that September 16th date gets pushed into 2024.

They certainly won't be able to hold people to that date if modules aren't easily accessible.

Reactions: Starz
If you've been following the FAA for some time, you probably know they aren't good at meeting dates. I wouldn't be surprised if that September 16th date gets pushed into 2024.

They certainly won't be able to hold people to that date if modules aren't easily accessible.
I asked the FAA if they could send a list of approved vendors of Remote ID modules. Here is their reply (it makes my head hurt):

"All of the aircraft and broadcast modules with an FAA-approved Declaration of Compliance (DOC) for remote ID are here . You will need to click on the "View" option to determine if the DOC is for an aircraft or a module."

Tell me if you can make any sense of this list: https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs

Yes, I'm familiar with that list. It contains mostly aircraft.

You can also find some external transmitters here:

That deadline is over 5 months away at this point. I think it's too early to attempt to buy an external module as there's no telling what else is going to be released in the next couple of months.

I'm not sure what you're expecting. Do you think a bunch of new RID transmitters fit for DJI drones are going to pop up for sale tomorrow morning? I mean, I guess we can dream.

This is just nuts. With Remote ID compliance looming on September 16, 2023, I still cannot find a provider for a retro remote-id module for a Phantom 4 Pro. If you happen to have a link to a provider, kindly post it here.

Thanks in advance.

Reference: "All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft."
Looks like this is the only module available now. Over $300 USD. I agree the deadline will be pushed back; like they always do. Hope they get smaller, less expensive, and can be interchangeable. I have the P4P and Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Capt KO
I also thought more choices would be available by now, none of mine (5) are ID capable without it.

I have two of these.

Just getting started with them but, I am working on a blog writeup over the next couple of weeks.

This is a nice design.
All self contained 160.00 USD

We have been mounting them on any DJI drone . You can find our link in the Mavic forum Lights Cameras Action

1681566831094.png

Attachments

• 20230408_090709.jpg
    20230408_090709.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
Doubtful you will see a herd of FAA officials tromping around your fly zone looking for the MANY drone pilots that may not be compliant.
The longer you wait for these little pieces of hardware, availability and cost will be in your favor.
The problem is for us 107 commercial guys/gals. We have to be in compliance God forbid something bad happens and we need to report something (accident to report to FAA or our commercial insurance). My 2 phantom 4 pros are delegated to back ups now but may be obsolete. I use a mavic 3 Cine almost exclusively (has remote ID) now but will need at least 1 backup. I have a plethora of Rc airplanes etc that will probably never get used much again (wink) flying around my own property. All the farm land around my house not being a designated FAA spot to fly of course

This is just nuts. With Remote ID compliance looming on September 16, 2023, I still cannot find a provider for a retro remote-id module for a Phantom 4 Pro. If you happen to have a link to a provider, kindly post it here.

Thanks in advance.

Reference: "All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft."

I’m selling my drone. I refuse to be baby sat by big brother. This is just another money grab and I refuse. Catch me if you can.

For those who threw rocks at me for fretting about this months ago,... I just called a Remote ID provider and was told they are out of stock and to expect deliveries anywhere from 5 to 10 weeks... which in the real world means 10-15 weeks. Hurry up and wait!

Last edited:
Don’t do it. This is nothing but a money grab. You Keep giving in and they will take more! I’ve been in this hobby for a long time and I am done.

What I ended up doing was purchasing a Air2S that has RID built in, in January so I wasn't scrambling the last minute. I can now wait on a module to come out for my P4P in due time. Wait for the right one to be released for the right price. That was the only solutions that I could find. I can't not fly for my business. This will do for now.

Has anyone explored the possibility of tying our Phantom geolocation into the FAA system through the internet? My Phantom knows where it is, my system is linked through my iPhone, which is linked to the internet via the cellular system, I see ADS-B info in ForeFlight...

Thanks in advance.

There are several. Of course everyone blew it off and waited until the last minute to order one and guess what? They mostly are on back order.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20