Has anyone ever sent your bird out as far as it can go letting the RTH feature kick in?

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this but I know its risky so don't know if I will lol. I want to see just how far away I can send my Phantom until it is out of range and the RTH feature kicks in. I have gotten FPV way over 3k feet but lose video before I lose signal on the controller. I wouldn't have the telemetry but I could tell by landmarks.

RTH works 99% of the time. The 1% is either pilot error or a true malfunction. Switch to NAZA mode and you can use the S2 (I believe) to test RTH all day long. Every time I've enabled RTH it worked flawlessly. In most cases, I'll enable RTH, place my remote on the ground and grab some water until it fly's back

Relax :)

Yes and never had any problems other than pucker factor till FPV came back ;)
Generally though when I would lose FPV I would just S1 down for RTH and let it come back
till I got FPV back or use HL .

I have actually been able to continue to fly AFTER I lose fpv with the help of my Flytrex. There maybe a 2 second delay but gives enough info to keep going until rth kicks in.

the only ocassion i was able to send my quad as far as possible and when i was at 1 km the quad stopped going forward, it didnt return and just stopped going forward and thats when i remember i had a 1km limit set by software.

i have modified that setting and now its up to 2 km, but havent had a chance to test it...

According to the way the question was posted in this thread I won't let anyone fly my bird.

No I have never flown to the limit but have used failsafe when I've lost sight of it or to make sure it's working.

... I won't let anyone fly my bird.

I've let people fly mine on several occasions. The first time they simply played with forward backward left and right like I'd instructed them to. They then did that for a while as I got some great DSLR shots of it in flight. So they actually helped me heaps.

The second time was almost the last time. The idiot did the same 4 directions for a moment, then without any idea what he was doing flew it out over the lake and around behind the line of trees and promptly lost fpv because of the trees. I was incredibly unimpressed that he'd be so stupid. The other new people were content to just play within the limits of their knowledge. This moron nearly put me off ever letting anyone ever use it again.

But I relented and gave the controls over to another person just this Easter weekend just gone, and I took a very calculated gamble based on what I knew of the 16 year old boy that I allowed to fly it. I knew he'd be careful with it. I knew he'd work within his limits. And I'd expected those to be quite low limits. I had misjudged him totally - in a good way - I had expected him to be as novice as the first people I ever let fly it. Instead he flew it like he's been flying many many times. He made some small errors, moved right instead of yawed right a couple of times, and rose instead of moved forward on one occasion, but he did everything in slow careful very smooth movements, and I find it hard to believe he's never even flown a small toy version.
He was over the moon about the opportunity I gave him. I think the experience will have him owning one as soon as he can. He talked on several occasions over the rest of the camping weekend about "That was an experience I never thought I'd get" and was so grateful. It was a huge thrill for me to have been able to have that kind of a good influence in his life. And besides, his Mum's pretty cute, so any brownie points I can get with her are a good thing ;)

Your very trusting I'm not. For one thing these aren't toys I am sure you will agree and it only takes one mistake which you could be paying for for the rest of your life. :(

As a videographer I own many different types of cameras including the P2 which is another tool in my kit. The only one i would let use one of my cameras with the exception of the P2 is a friend of over 20 years those's in the same business.

Reactions: Ezookiel
I did it on my first flight actually, it was in CE mode, but once it hit it's limit I seen it stop for a few seconds and then returned to home. Kinda scared me at first, but it worked just fine. However, since I switched over to FCC mode, I haven't hit the limit yet and I've tried a few times, but then get nervous about battery life and hit rth to let it come back which has worked every time I used it. I have the FC40 so my flight times aren't that great, so I really don't know if I could reach it's limit and make it back or not, especially with a battery that's been used for a while and a gopro that cuts that battery life down even more.

Reactions: James2121
I did it on my first flight actually, it was in CE mode, but once it hit it's limit I seen it stop for a few seconds and then returned to home. Kinda scared me at first, but it worked just fine. However, since I switched over to FCC mode, I haven't hit the limit yet and I've tried a few times, but then get nervous about battery life and hit rth to let it come back which has worked every time I used it. I have the FC40 so my flight times aren't that great, so I really don't know if I could reach it's limit and make it back or not, especially with a battery that's been used for a while and a gopro that cuts that battery life down even more.
o_O You nervous. And fly in manual :eek: Naaaaa
Hey with this P3 coming out and everyone selling their P2's cheap ya can move it on up now to have some more time :) ;)

o_O You nervous. And fly in manual :eek: Naaaaa
Hey with this P3 coming out and everyone selling their P2's cheap ya can move it on up now to have some more time :) ;)

Yep, once it gets out of sight, I get a little nervous because that's how I lost my other phantom. I have nothing but trees around me in all directions so if it did go down, finding it would be a nightmare. As for manual, well... that's nothing to get nervous over ;)

I do need an upgrade though so...

DJI PHANTOM FC40 FOR SALE!!!
Only $999.00!
comes with extra 2700 battery, extra remote, AND even a gopro hero 3 white edition (barely used)!
perfect condition (had a few *cough* tipovers from the sky)
top shell painted black (so you can be super cool)
right landing gear leg slightly bent (gives it character)

act now and I'll even toss in a brand new unused set of P2 props!!!

order yours today while supplies last at www.givekitarianupgradeplease.com

In stock [1]

Here locally in Utah, some guys bought four. $7k total. Three flew away, and one is in Lake Powell. Priceless.

It was a huge thrill for me to have been able to have that kind of a good influence in his life. And besides, his Mum's pretty cute, so any brownie points I can get with her are a good thing ;)

Makes me wonder if I need to start walking up to random teenage kids at the parks I fly at and ask if they wanna test pilot my Phantom for grins and giggles. Some of these kids have attractive MILF mothers that I might like to get friendly with. :p

The furthest Ive gone is about 200m, too scared to go any more :(

Hats off to those that have.

Have flown mine out of transmitter range many times, I also mainly fly over water. Upgraded antennae to fpvlr on transmitter and also for fpv, now I have flown to 3 km one way and still have control and fpv signal, just fear holding me back now haha.

I took her out to around 8000ft once (with fpvlr stage 2) and it cut out, of course... There is a VERY major pucker factor til it comes home. For whatever reason (perhaps wind) this time it took longer than normal to return home and I was kind of in a panic. Of course a few minutes later here she comes home.

Check out this video of my Phantom getting TOTALY ! lost and returning home SAFETLY.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
What range are people losing ability to control and having RTH kick in? Over the past few days, I've had it kick in at only 400-600 meters on occasion. This is in a suburban area. I've also been losing FPV at about that range even with my FPVLR prelim bundle.

Just curious as to actual distances people are talking about.

And yes, it does get a little nerve racking but the function does return the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.