Has anybody got their pre ordered Flytrex yet?

Thanks, I guess then I apologize with my cool remark. After having worked for 40 plus years as a FAA and FCC licensed tech maintaining avionics boxes and a/c that cost over 175 million bucks, I think I am qualified to figure out if a Flytrex is installed and working correctly. This one isn't. If it was, I wouldn't be here now. I'd be doing something fun.

The reason one would want to have Facebook, is if you chose to broadcast your flight live out to the world, those who might want to view or spy on it live would need Facebook. I have mine set to not broadcast. You can replay and log the entire flight without it so I'm not bothered having to use it. But now that I say that, I think I can even do that on the Flytrex web site without Facebook. Only those not registered on the Flytrex website would need Facebook. But I need to double check that. As they say "different strokes for different folks".

I tried looking back through your post in this thread, but did you register the Live device and link it to your flytrex account?

It took them a few weeks to add flight mode, etc to the previous L3G after launch. Perhaps they're "working on it".

Reactions: Skipholiday
It took them a few weeks to add flight mode, etc to the previous L3G after launch. Perhaps they're "working on it".
I agree. I have much faith in these guys/gals. They have never let anyone down. Being slow is not bad plus they are 6500 miles away from my location.

I agree. I have much faith in these guys/gals. They have never let anyone down. Being slow is not bad plus they are 6500 miles away from my location.

I'd have more faith if I ever got replies to my support requests. One is over a week old, no answer. Two are about 2-3 days old, with no answer.

I'd assume it's technically possible, and they just haven't updated their data-processing framework to fully support the new Flytrex 3G Plus, but I'd love to hear that's officially the case, and that support is indeed coming. I'm a tiny bit worried that since P3 installs aren't using the CANBus adapter, and instead are directly wired (unlike say, the A2, Inspire 1, etc) that they are somehow not capturing some data. Yes, the P3 uses an "adapter" but it doesn't actually contain any ICs, it's just for routing pins/wiring, unlike the other flight controller adapters. I've been told the Live 3G Plus has CANBus built in, but that doesn't explain why an adapter would still be required for other CANBus-type flight controllers, like the A2.

Plus, the Inspire 1, using the same model adapter, is correctly collecting voltage & flight mode data. Therefore, points to something specific to the implementation on the P3.

For my purposes being able to monitor the battery voltage is critical, and somewhat less critical, but still useful, is the flight mode data.

~~~

In unrelated news... what would be really great is if they could convert a P3 into a "Flytrex Sky" type drone, whereby we could send and not just receive data via the 3G/cellular aspect.

I tried looking back through your post in this thread, but did you register the Live device and link it to your flytrex account?

I entered it under profiles. There are three individual profiles for each of my Phantoms. I haven't setup a P3 profile yet since it isn't working and I can't connect it. Now over a week since I contacted them about my DEFECTIVE P3 L3G+ and nothing back from them.

I entered it under profiles. There are three individual profiles for each of my Phantoms. I haven't setup a P3 profile yet since it isn't working and I can't connect it. Now over a week since I contacted them about my DEFECTIVE P3 L3G+ and nothing back from them.
I am not going to use flytrex on my drone. It just adds weight anyway. I have been 7 miles out with my drone and I still had good signal why add the weight I can convert my DJI flight log to Flytrex anyway. I actually have a brand new unopened P3 Flytrex at my house that I bought after my last one malfunctioned. That was before I knew about converting the logs. Bought it off ebay got it in 3 days go figure.

i hope most of you bought it thru Paypal....you can always fill a 'dispute' and get you money back right away.....just a thought!
Cheers!

Reactions: Skipholiday
I am not going to use flytrex on my drone. It just adds weight anyway. I have been 7 miles out with my drone and I still had good signal why add the weight I can convert my DJI flight log to Flytrex anyway. I actually have a brand new unopened P3 Flytrex at my house that I bought after my last one malfunctioned. That was before I knew about converting the logs. Bought it off ebay got it in 3 days go figure.
if you lose connection from the controller to the Phantom the flight log will not locate the phantom. It will only show the last known location, not the current location. Flytrex is an awesome product. Im worried they have run into problems. And the weight is minimal compared to other trackers. The only other one that comes close is the fm beacon,

Reactions: phantomlova

So that explains why your L3G+ is not working. If the device has not been configured in your flytrex profile, it won't connect to the database and you will never achieve green light status. You can manually set it up, or scan the barcode with your phone to easily set it up.

this is latest Facebook post from Flytrex:

Flytrex
23 hrs ·
Support update - We've been getting emails from Flytrex pilots asking about our availability and wanted to post a quick update letting you all know that we're still alive and doing great! Our support team is working these days in smaller capacity during a local holiday and we will be back in full force this upcoming Tuesday.

Our team is doing its utmost to reply to your questions as quickly as possible, but we are experiencing delays while working in smaller capacity - we're very sorry about that! We expect to catch up with all pending questions and shipments by this upcoming week as the entire team returns to work in full force.

We apologize for any delay. Rest assured we'll make sure to get back to you with any open question.

Cheers and keep on flyin'!

HOWEVER...

As of right now, it appears as though the Flytrex isn't recording voltage data or flight mode... wtf? I thought the whole point of having the CANbus deal was to be able to get this data? Voltage in particular is extremely important. Flight mode helps me map my controller range.

This basically means the newer, more expensive, Flytex 3G is recording LESS data than the original model on my P2V+.

I can confirm this as I did some flights today with my new Flytrex for P3. There is NO voltage reading. Temperature works fine though. For comparison, when I use the CSV files from the P3 itself (so not using Flytrex), there ARE voltage readings (but no temperature). Also, no flight mode (which would be nice). (side question: what temperature is actually measured?)
I have also found another HUGE problem: there is no CSV or KML output option on the web site anymore (flight log). I looked at the HTML source, and they are commented out (saving locally and uncommenting them also doesn't help). This really is important. I am still using firmware 1.19 but I don't think this is the reason. Anyone else have this problem at this moment? I e-mailed Amit about it though...
On a positive note, the "live flight" in the app works well, and same goes for last position.

I have two problems with my new Flytrex Live Plus for my Phantom 3. It always shows my starting altitude at sea level, even though I am 600 feet above sea level.
Also, the unit stays on the 2 red LEDs unless I unplug the 4 pin connector and replug after the Phantom is powered on and then it works normally.
Anyone else seeing the same problem or can offer a solution?? Much appreciated!!

I have two problems with my new Flytrex Live Plus for my Phantom 3. It always shows my starting altitude at sea level, even though I am 600 feet above sea level.
Also, the unit stays on the 2 red LEDs unless I unplug the 4 pin connector and replug after the Phantom is powered on and then it works normally.
Anyone else seeing the same problem or can offer a solution?? Much appreciated!!

Can't say much about a solution... But I will say I've had a few problems myself.

First off, with exactly the same starting procedure, maybe 1 in 5 times my Flytrex will get stuck on purple and never begin tracking. In the habit now of checking it before take off, rather than just assuming it's working like on my P2V+.

Second, it seems to record the "home point" too early in the boot process. More than half the time the home point is on the equator near Africa, and since the mobile app forces zooms to fit, means I end up with a really annoying map screen. Have had to use the web viewer rather than the app as a workaround...

Thirdly, still no voltage or flight status on the live view, or in the exported CSV.

Thirdly, still no voltage or flight status on the live view, or in the exported CSV.
How do you export the CSV? Can you make a screenshot? No CSV option here in my flight logbook!

How do you export the CSV? Can you make a screenshot? No CSV option here in my flight logbook!

It's just bad UI/UX design. Export can only be accessed on the "Profile page" listing of flights. Not from the flight log book.

To find it:

- Go to -> "Profile" page while signed in (important!)
- Click the little down arrow (immediate left of the country flag in the blue header box) on the flight you want to export
- "Export Mission"

Works fine, minus voltage and flight mode data. Export to CSV or KML.

It's just bad UI/UX design. Export can only be accessed on the "Profile page" listing of flights. Not from the flight log book.

To find it:

- Go to -> "Profile" page while signed in (important!)
- Click the little down arrow (immediate left of the country flag in the blue header box) on the flight you want to export
- "Export Mission"

Works fine, minus voltage and flight mode data. Export to CSV or KML.

Wow thank you. Now that is bad UX design!
No voltage and flight mode data here either.

The CSV only shows
latitude,longitude,altitude(feet),ascent(feet),speed(mph),distance(feet),max_altitude(feet),max_ascent(feet),max_speed(mph),max_distance(feet),time(millisecond),datetime(utc),datetime(local),satellites,pressure(Pa),temperature(F)

So no voltage or flight mode in there either. And I only get updates once every second (sometimes twice, but not more).

Same problem here but mine will not work even after I unplug the four pin connector and reconnect. I get one red led blink, short pause then five red led blinks then it repeats over and over. I did add it to my profile on their website using the bar code on the FL3G but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Try scanning the bar code on the unit with your phone and register it to your Flytrex profile and see what you get.

I'm having the problem of the light staying purple (or blue if I'm color blind) and asked Amit on the Facebook page and he replied with the following. I haven't tried it yet so don't know if it's the answer or not.
Flytrex Hi Jerry smile emoticon My first assumption will be to check the APN configuration in the Live device and try configuring it to use the H2O APN settings. Technically the Live includes a built-in list with APN details for most networks world-wide, however, it is missing many of the APN settings for smaller virtual networks. Since H2O are a virtual network (using AT&T's network) it is likely that you will need to setup the APN settings of the Live device manually at first.

After settings up the Live APN settings give it another try. I believe there are good chances this will help solve this issue.

You can configure the Live APN settings using the Live Programmer available for download via our web-site here:
Flytrex Live 3G Programmer

Let me know if this issue continues and we'll check a few other configuration options that I believe might be related as well.
As far as dealing with this company I've always got answers to my questions, both email and on Facebook. Sometimes not as quick as I like but no longer than 5 days or so. I had to have the one for my P2 replaced as the CAN-BUS adapter was defective and burned up both my video transmitter and the Flytrex 3G but they replaced the adapter and 3G with no problem.

They are a very small company and I doubt they even have 15 people working there. Like most sellers they have their products manufactured in China then they check each one to make sure it works so it does take time. If you monitor the live flights you can see one of them coming on line with what looks like a short flight to nowhere which must be quality checks. I too got very upset over the Live + even understanding their change from a "open up the P3 to a plug and play adapter but still they shouldn't be taking folks money until they have the products ready to ship. Some waited 4 months and that's just not an acceptable way to do business.

Last edited:
Right, but unfortunately the "new" APN Programmer doesn't seem to work (yet) with the new Flytrex... Spent hours trying, to no avail.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4