Harvey Drone Warning from FAA

I guess I owe some folks an apology. I emailed the FAA, I was really shocked, someone actually called me on my cellphone about 2 minutes after I hit send. Long story short, never trust free advice. So it looks like I'm the only person on the squad that can fly - going to be several folks extremely disappointed.

I know that's not what the volunteer community wants to hear, as I discovered in NM, but I am also impressed that the FAA got back to you so fast. On the positive side, as you are obviously aware, Part 107 is not that hard to get, and worth doing for many reasons. I'd encourage your colleagues to make the effort.

Reactions: BigAl07
I guess I owe some folks an apology. I emailed the FAA, I was really shocked, someone actually called me on my cellphone about 2 minutes after I hit send. Long story short, never trust free advice. So it looks like I'm the only person on the squad that can fly - going to be several folks extremely disappointed.

This is an excellent opportunity to promote Part 107 and get more of your fellow squad members trained and credentialed. I teach this very type of thing on a National level and it's a great way to learn new techniques while also getting credentialed. Here's an EMS group I had the pleasure of instructing last month.
Drones to the rescue: Southside first responders train to use drones for rescues ~ Danville Life Saving Crew, Pittsylvania Co. Sheriff's Office to send up drones

We teach real-world scenarios but from a UAS perspective backed by 4 decades of UAS, 2 decades of manned aviation and several years serving in SAR roles.

Good luck and don't look at this as a limiting factor but an opportunity to expand and grow as a group in a safe, controlled, and effective manner.

I know that's not what the volunteer community wants to hear, as I discovered in NM, but I am also impressed that the FAA got back to you so fast. On the positive side, as you are obviously aware, Part 107 is not that hard to get, and worth doing for many reasons. I'd encourage your colleagues to make the effort.

Well said @sar104 . Part 107 made a HUGE difference. I remember when I first heard that SAR required a Section 333 Exemption which required a full blown Pilot's License (which I already had thank goodness). That really put UAS use for SAR on the back burner for many groups. Thank goodness Part 107 made that hurdle a lot more realistic.

Reactions: sar104
I talked to the squad captain this morning, he took it a lot better than I thought he would. His only question to me was 'When are you starting to hold study sessions?'

......A lawyer, a felon, and rattlesnake sitting at a table with you. A pistol with two bullets is in front of you. What do you do?

Let the rattlesnake bite the felon and SHOOT THE LAWYER TWICE!

August 25 - The FAA warns unauthorized drone operators that they may be subject to significant fines if they interfere with emergency response operations. Flying a drone without authorization in or near the disaster area may violate federal, state, or local laws and ordinances, even if a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is not in place. Allow first responders to save lives and property without interference.

More Hurricane Harvey resources are available at: FAA.gov, FEMA.gov and USA.gov.

Plenty of news drones flying around there judging from the news footage we're getting here in Aus

Reactions: Loz
Plenty of news drones flying around there judging from the news footage we're getting here in Aus

That could be helicopter footage.....what I am seeing looks higher than 400 feet. Thinking up to 800 feet possibly?

...I have been contemplating helping out with some damage assessment flights in houston, but want to be legal and a help, not a "renegade" thorn in the command center's side - I came across this operation - they seem to be on top of everything and require a 107 and UAS insurance:

What can you do to assist those impacted by Harvey?

...BigAl07, I'm curious as to your opinion if this would be a good way for pilots with limited SAR experience to get involved in a safe and organized way?

...I have been contemplating helping out with some damage assessment flights in houston, but want to be legal and a help, not a "renegade" thorn in the command center's side - I came across this operation - they seem to be on top of everything and require a 107 and UAS insurance:

What can you do to assist those impacted by Harvey?

...BigAl07, I'm curious as to your opinion if this would be a good way for pilots with limited SAR experience to get involved in a safe and organized way?

@zander lane , personally and professionally I think droneup is a huge liability to our industry and a HORRIBLE example of what we are trying to portray. They went on record and said they would fly regardless of the rules in place (TFRs etc). Then they have created a media campaign based on lies and theft. By this I mean they created their media campaign by literally stealing images from other LEGITIMATE entities who were already in the area providing support and saving LIVES and stated they were droneup operations. I know this is 100% fact because I personally know and talked with one of the guys in the photo that was falsely used. I have links to support these claims.

They "stole" others images and used them as their own. This shows us exactly what the found of droneup is really all about.

My advice, STEER CLEAR of droneup and anything they claim to be doing.

@zander lane , personally and professionally I think droneup is a huge liability to our industry and a HORRIBLE example of what we are trying to portray. They went on record and said they would fly regardless of the rules in place (TFRs etc). Then they have created a media campaign based on lies and theft. By this I mean they created their media campaign by literally stealing images from other LEGITIMATE entities who were already in the area providing support and saving LIVES and stated they were droneup operations. I know this is 100% fact because I personally know and talked with one of the guys in the photo that was falsely used. I have links to support these claims.

They "stole" others images and used them as their own. This shows us exactly what the found of droneup is really all about.

Ewwww...thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't aware of this information. It is better to just work directly with emergency management officials, or the FAA for SAR. I'm sure Civil Air Patrol will eventually have a COA and use them. I'm in Florida and have already reached out to the local emergency management officials to provide assistance after this has all blown thru.

Now is the time to plan for the NEXT storm. Make plans to contact your local Emergency Management dept (could be ran under your local Sheriff's Office) and open a dialog with them. Find out what they need/want and determine how you can best work within their system. Take FEMA course (free) on Incident Command System (IC100, 200, 300, 400, 700) so you're able to seemlesly integrate into the Emergency System.

While I understand wanting to help any way you can, a huge natural disaster isn't the time to start training for one. It's like walking up to an NFL on the day of the Super Bowl and saying, I can throw and catch coach. Put me in and let's win this game.

Good luck and I hope everyone stays safe.

Now is the time to plan for the NEXT storm. Make plans to contact your local Emergency Management dept (could be ran under your local Sheriff's Office) and open a dialog with them. Find out what they need/want and determine how you can best work within their system. Take FEMA course (free) on Incident Command System (IC100, 200, 300, 400, 700) so you're able to seemlesly integrate into the Emergency System.

While I understand wanting to help any way you can, a huge natural disaster isn't the time to start training for one. It's like walking up to an NFL on the day of the Super Bowl and saying, I can throw and catch coach. Put me in and let's win this game.

Good luck and I hope everyone stays safe.

Yes, all very good ideas for anyone wanting to truly help. Fortunately, I've had the ICS courses, including the two in-residence courses (300 & 400) and contacted them weeks ago. I'm on the East coast, so it looks like we dodged most of the bullet....we'll see here in a few days.

...regrettably, I have drawn the same conclusion - however, I am in houston now until thursday and would really like to help - do you have any suggestions for who to contact to provide any kind of drone support? - thanks for any guidance!

...regrettably, I have drawn the same conclusion - however, I am in houston now until thursday and would really like to help - do you have any suggestions for who to contact to provide any kind of drone support? - thanks for any guidance!

I do not. The only people I have a direct contact to are now demobilized from Tx and stationed ready to go into Florida directly.

Thats not what it says.....it says "may" violate. Its too broad a warning to mean anything........except that they will nail you if they feel like it.
Yep. These notices are couched in deliberate language that doesn't really say what they hope most people believe.

Here is an exact quote from a high ranking official with NASAR, the National Association for Search & Rescue:

"The answer is that SAR is a profession rather than a hobby. Everyone doing SAR, be it mounted, management, swiftwater, ATV, or UAV, is first and foremost a professional SAR responder.

Put the other way, SAR is not a hobby and flying for SAR is not a hobby activity.
"
As long as we are picking nits, it almost certainly isn't a profession in the classical or even legal sense except for doctors and nurses supporting the effort (and the odd attorney, cleric or engineer) . It may well be an occupation or even a trade. But not a profession.

As long as we are picking nits, it almost certainly isn't a profession in the classical or even legal sense except for doctors and nurses supporting the effort (and the odd attorney, cleric or engineer) . It may well be an occupation or even a trade. But not a profession.

I would disagree. It does require certification and if you have never been a part of a SAR agency, it does require prolonged training and education. It is a profession. And I'm not even talking about sUAV use within SAR just yet. That adds yet another certification to the mix. Just because you can pull a sUAV out of the box and fly it in your neighborhood, doesn't even remotely make you qualified to use it for SAR. It takes years of training and practice to be good at it.

It's a profession in the fullest sense.

Definition of PROFESSION

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
While I can't believe I'm even replying to this...

Let's look at some dictionary definition of "profession"

pro·fes·sion
[prəˈfeSHən]
career · occupation · calling · vocation · métier · line (of work)
noun
a vocation requiring knowledge of some department of learning or science:
the profession of teaching.
Compare learned profession.
any vocation or business.

profession(noun)

an occupation requiring special education

An occupation or career: "One of the highest compliments a child can pay a parent is to choose his or her profession"

While I whole heartedly agree that doctors, lawyers, etc are in a profession I disagree with saying that other fields/work are not. That's very "elitist" to say the least.

It's true that many in SAR are doing it as more of a part-time gig but there are many who are fully engrossed in this field and "Do It" to the level of doctors and lawyers. Years of study, training, certifications, and more just to be "on call" waiting for someone in need.

If you think for a single moment that that Alpine SAR, THAARP, and HARR are not professions that need lots of training, credentialing and certifications you are seriously mistaken. Not every SAAR member looks at it as a profession there are many out here who are genuinely in the SAR profession.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT