Harvey Drone Warning from FAA

While I can't believe I'm even replying to this...

Let's look at some dictionary definition of "profession"

pro·fes·sion
[prəˈfeSHən]
career · occupation · calling · vocation · métier · line (of work)
noun
a vocation requiring knowledge of some department of learning or science:
the profession of teaching.
Compare learned profession.
any vocation or business.

profession(noun)

an occupation requiring special education

An occupation or career: "One of the highest compliments a child can pay a parent is to choose his or her profession"

While I whole heartedly agree that doctors, lawyers, etc are in a profession I disagree with saying that other fields/work are not. That's very "elitist" to say the least.

It's true that many in SAR are doing it as more of a part-time gig but there are many who are fully engrossed in this field and "Do It" to the level of doctors and lawyers. Years of study, training, certifications, and more just to be "on call" waiting for someone in need.

If you think for a single moment that that Alpine SAR, THAARP, and HARR are not professions that need lots of training, credentialing and certifications you are seriously mistaken. Not every SAAR member looks at it as a profession there are many out here who are genuinely in the SAR profession.
Aside from medical services, which SAR activities require a state issued license?

My state has an office of professional registration. While it certainly covers more fields traditionally thought of as occupations (barber, e.g.), I am not aware of a state SAR license.

Aside from medical services, which SAR activities require a state issued license?

My state has an office of professional registration. While it certainly covers more fields traditionally thought of as occupations (barber, e.g.), I am not aware of a state SAR license.

So you are attempting to define professions based solely on whether your particular state issues licences for that activity?

Ok...I'll bite. FEMA issues certifications and licenses, as well as does most of the SAR training. Some private and non-profits supplement this. I know...I know....it's not as classy as the state goberment that issued your attorney license. But me thinks you don't read dictionaries too well, either.

Reactions: BigAl07
...so if one was looking into flying drones as a volunteer SAR - what exactly is the path of schooling/credentialing/organizations-to-join?

(...I would really like to get involved and be part of an official team BEFORE the "big one" hits us in california!)

It depends on how the State regulates and controls search and rescue activities. Some States have, or are putting in place, formal frameworks for UAV participation. Others may simply require operation under the umbrella of an accredited SAR team. Or they may accept volunteer efforts coordinated by local emergency services departments.

You almost certainly will require an FAA remote pilot license (Part 107) and insurance, but then I'd start by enquiring with the local SAR organizers or teams as to how it works in your area.

Reactions: BigAl07
It depends on how the State regulates and controls search and rescue activities. Some States have, or are putting in place, formal frameworks for UAV participation. Others may simply require operation under the umbrella of an accredited SAR team. Or they may accept volunteer efforts coordinated by local emergency services departments.

You almost certainly will require an FAA remote pilot license (Part 107) and insurance, but then I'd start by inquiring with the local SAR organizers or teams as to how it works in your area.

Well said.

Like I tell anyone who I am working with (we train EMS/LEO etc UAS operations across the region) the time to train and get involved is not when a disaster is about to happen. You want to get connected with your local SAR/EMS dept long before it gets busy. Train with them... work with them... this way you know how they work and they know what you're capable of and together a system can be worked out that is safe, efficient, and hopefully productive.

Go into it prepared.. have your Part 107, insurance, and have some basic NIMS training under your belt (ICS100 & 200 at the very least) and offer to work with them and for them. Once you become integrated into the "System" it's much easier, smoother, and efficient because at first you're "What did he just say? They want to do what? What does all those acronyms mean?" There is a method to the madness it just takes time and training so that it's 2nd nature.

Every area is different but here in Western NC the SAR/EMS is under our Sheriff's Dept so that is where you'd start the process at least in my area.

Reactions: Newt59 and sar104
I'm afraid that even a police officer, performing police duties, with his own drone, must be 107 Certified. As must volunteers working with police on S&R.

Don't ask me to quote the source, but I swear I read the regulations on it and / or a lawyers interpretation, perhaps even in this forum. Do some searches.

Anything other than HOBBY OR RECREATIONAL usage is considered commercial operation. The guy quoted the regs, then pointed out things most of us non lawyer types don't think about. Like, even under the best of intentions if something bad happens, and somebody gets hurt, then someone is going to be expected to cover it. Who's that gonna be, huh? This was not the only point made, but I felt it a pretty decent one.

I will see if I can remember where I saw this. But I swear guys, I saw it, or at least the best I remember it, just like I'm telling you now.

It sucks, I know it pisses some of you off pretty good. But if you were FAA Certified you would know that, "screw them I'm gonna fly where I want", is a dangerous condition where the individual is suffering from machismo tendencies.

You can't out run radar. You can't beat a cop because he has lots of friends who like to fight and do so on a much more regular basis than you and I, and they're always close by and on the way. And you can't outlawyer the Feds very darned often.

Be safe, stay happy, fly often, make good decisions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94