Hands Free Controller Body Mount?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a hands free controller body mount? What I am thinking is some sort of backpack style mount that will hold the controller in a ready-to-use position on my chest while having my hands free. This kind of mount would be useful to have while having the AC in track/follow mode while I am X-country skiing, driving my snowmobile, or even canoeing or kayaking. A lanyard is not a solution as the controller would end up swinging from side to side or bouncing on my chest especially when skiing. The ideal solution would be something that could attached to a backpack strap so that I could use an existing backpack to carry other things like batteries, etc.

I have both a P3S and a Spark controller so it would be ideal if it is something that can be adapted to suit the controller.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chris

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Actually.....I'm a metal wood and plastic fabricator and i for the last month have been wanting to draw UP plans and create a photo type for me to try or some other drone pilots in the area...the plate to hold the remote unit would be made of 1/4 acrylic plastic i know that !

Having a way to hold the remote, hands free, while moving would be great. There is a company - Peak Design - that makes all kinds of accessories for cameras. I have a couple of their Capture Clips that allow the mounting of a DSLR to a backpack strap via a tripod plate/backpack strap clip. It is a super handy accessory to have especially when hiking with a DSLR. Maybe they have something that can be adapted to holding the AC remote.

You would think that there was some company that would of thought of something like this so that the AC could be carried securely while tracking a moving subject.

Chris

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I only have one useful arm and have been thinking about this since I got my Phantom 3 standard. I'll be following this to see if you come up with something and I'll let you know if I figure something out myself. I gotta get away from needing a table and chair to fly this thing.:)

Thanks to all who have replied so far. Sorry for delays in responding as it is Thanksgiving here in Canada and was enjoying some Turkey and fixin's with family.

That harness that Nightwolf linked to above seems to be what I would be looking for although I find it expensive and there are mixed reviews on Amazon. It's amazing how expensive these things can get, but unless I can find something else, I may have to bite the bullet and try it. Not sure how it would hold up in cold weather though. Anyways, thanks for all the replies so far.

Happy Thanksgiving to any Canucks on here.

Chris

Just sharing. I dont own one.

Attachments

• 2F1277F5-3970-48A3-8367-B10DE60CBF18.png
    2F1277F5-3970-48A3-8367-B10DE60CBF18.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 266
Just sharing. I dont own one.
Thanks for sharing. That one looks like it would hold the controller better and keep it from moving. The only downside I could see from the pictures is that it would not fold up small to fit in a backpack. I'll see if I can get more info on it.

For what I'm looking for the PGT Tech looks good to me and found it on DJI NYC for 60 with free shipping. I decided to pull the trigger and try it. This will let me walk around and use either or both sticks with my one hand ( I know, both sticks at the same time with one hand is going to take some serious practice :)) I'm more of a one stick and a time flyer but I was trying it out a little bit today, it is possible but you really need to be careful.

Thanks for sharing!
Chuck

For what I'm looking for the PGT Tech looks good to me and found it on DJI NYC for 60 with free shipping. I decided to pull the trigger and try it. This will let me walk around and use either or both sticks with my one hand ( I know, both sticks at the same time with one hand is going to take some serious practice :)) I'm more of a one stick and a time flyer but I was trying it out a little bit today, it is possible but you really need to be careful.

Thanks for sharing!
Chuck

Chuck,
Let us know how you like it when you get it. The PGT Tech one looks well built and easy to use but when I found it on Aliexpress, it was around CDN $140 - way more than I want to spend on something I want to use for a specific purpose. If I can find it for around what you paid for it (in US $), then I may consider purchasing it.

Chris

Chris, will do. Have you looked at DJI NYC, you are probably closer to them than I am but I don't know their shipping policy to Canada.

Thanks for the info. I have checked their site and they do ship to Canada but duties, brokerage fees, and taxes are added which can significantly drive up the price. Too bad its not on DJIs main site as the price listed there is the one you pay - no surprises.

Chris

After much thought and searching around, I think I'm just going to clip a duffle bag strap to my controller handle and pull it snug around my waist. This, with the lanyard that I already have should keep the controller held in place while my hands are free. As soon as the weather clears up (been raining, hailing and windy lately) I'm going to try it out and see how it works.

The other alternatives I have looked at (some listed above) are expensive when the total cost I would have to pay to have them shipped to my address is factored in, but I will continue to keep an eye out for a suitable solution for my uses.

Thanks to all who helped me out by giving me some products to look into, I appreciate it.

Chris

Check out RC transmitter Trays .....

I have a tray for my 9XR radios and the DJI controller - I made adaptor to take it ... simple foam sheet with cutouts :

Here it is when I used it for my P3S and boosters ...

Tx with Velcro

Tray with foam sheet and matching velcro

Fitted

Cost ? About $20 ....

Nigel

Reactions: Nightwolf
Thanks for the idea Nigel. That's another possibility - making a tray for the controller. I'll keep an eye out in my local hardware stores.

Chris

Well today I tried out the duffle bag strap idea while on my bike (the people powered version) and as I suspected didn’t hold the controller very stable so back to looking for a cost effective tray. Also, might have to get a better holder for my iPhone as the supplied clip doesn’t hold it very well while riding around on my bike. Even small bumps cause the phone to move around alot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair