Hand Launch

Reaction score
OK,
So I have read and read and read about how to hand launch my Phantom 4 Pro Plus. Much about hand grab, seems simple enough but no much on the actual step by step to launch from hand.
I find it difficult to hold the drone above my head and pull both sticks downward to launch at the same time.
Is there a "better' way to launch by hand? Am I missing something?
How can I launch from a boat safely? Is there a one button solution on the controller to hand launch?

Thanks..

OK,
So I have read and read and read about how to hand launch my Phantom 4 Pro Plus. Much about hand grab, seems simple enough but no much on the actual step by step to launch from hand.
I find it difficult to hold the drone above my head and pull both sticks downward to launch at the same time.
How can I launch from a boat safely? Is there a one button solution on the controller to hand launch?

Thanks..

We just use the Auto take off , it does of course require a slide , but it works well. You might also consider A Phantom Wet Suit that comes with 4 Neoprene Covers protecting the Legs giving you a nice squisshy feel on the legs for a much more secure grip and since your hand catching and launching you it will also provide some support to the leg clips. Those leg clips have a tendancy to come off when stressing the legs

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain !
Coal

Reactions: tunadoctor
Gloves would be the best advice second to not hand-launching.

OK,

Thanks..
As mentioned by @Meta4 it is much easier with an assistant. However it can be done by yourself as well. Use a harness for the remote control. Not the neck-strap that leaves it dangling but the harness that leaves the controller fairly steady against your body. Short of a harness, position yourself next to some sort of steady platform. I have done it from a park bench and even a covered trash can. It works well. Practice it so you get comfortable with the procedure.

Hand launching and landing is a good way to break the antennae in the legs. A launch pad is best.
How? The antennae are completely enclosed inside the leg of a Phantom 4. So unless you snap the leg, that won't happen. Of course you need to do it properly, but it's not a stressful procedure on the structure when done properly.

Also there are situations where a landing pad won't help or is not feasible. Two that come to mind are high wind conditions and launching from a boat.

Reactions: Deezbs and Capt KO
As stated earlier, you have a one button solution on your screen. Auto Take off. As soon as it tries to lift you, let it fly. Then wait for the voice to tell you that your location is set. Then have fun. Landing is easier, and again, only requires two hands.

Cheap launch pad = unfoled large FedEx box
slide smaller unfold box within to prevent
propeller wind blowing pad around...

I wonder if drone in center of pad held
steady by hands above head is possible...?
(gloves & glasses advised)

Reactions: tunadoctor
Hand launching and landing is a good way to break the antennae in the legs. A launch pad is best.
Not hand launching is a good way to tip your drone over. Not going to break the antennas as they are INSIDE the landing gear. Hand launching allows you to deploy easily anywhere anyhow.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Not hand launching is a good way to tip your drone over.

Then you're doing it wrong.

Full-throttle is all you need to do.

Just like every full-scale piston engine aircraft I've flown!

Reactions: umanbean
Then you're doing it wrong.

Full-throttle is all you need to do.

Just like every full-scale piston engine aircraft I've flown!
Not true at all. If you are flying with gusty winds then a drone is very susceptible to tipping over at takeoff and landing. Even an experienced pilot at the controls can't keep a drone from tipping over if hit with a gust very close to the ground or while on the ground.

There are other cases where taking off from the ground is just not feasible so hand launching and landing is an important skill to have. Examples would be flying from a boat, very dusty terrain, rugged/jagged terrain, and numerous others.

Reactions: Deezbs
Full-throttle on take-off, always.

If it's too gusty to take-off /fly then I don't.

Reactions: denwood
Full-throttle on take-off, always.

If it's too gusty to take-off /fly then I don't.
Well that is your opinion and your level of comfort, which is great.

However, you can't assume that everyone is in the same situation and tell them to always take off from the ground with full throttle, or that they are "doing it wrong".

Yes I can.

Full throttle take-off is the only way to have access to the full dynamic range from the FC.

Not true at all. If you are flying with gusty winds then a drone is very susceptible to tipping over at takeoff and landing. Even an experienced pilot at the controls can't keep a drone from tipping over if hit with a gust very close to the ground or while on the ground.

There are other cases where taking off from the ground is just not feasible so hand launching and landing is an important skill to have. Examples would be flying from a boat, very dusty terrain, rugged/jagged terrain, and numerous others.
Thank you, Fandom. It's always refreshing to hear an experienced common sensical drone pilot who has a good grasp on the English language.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Yes I can.
I guess you can and you did. You also "can" say the sky is red, but it doesn't make it right or true.

Full throttle take-off is the only way to have access to the full dynamic range from the FC.
Full dynamic range? What? Are you tuning a piano? Ground launching places certain restrictions on you that you can overcome with hand launching. If you're not comfortable with that, that's fine and you are free to launch any way you like. It doesn't mean that those of us with the experience and comfort level to hand launch are wrong though.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl