Hand launch/catch

If it crashes somewhere and the FAA needs to investigate, they'll find your registration number on your drone.

I'll try explaining this.
You register yourself with the FAA, you get a number assigned to you by the FAA, specific to you. Then.... you put this one specific number, YOUR NUMBER, on all of your drones and fly.
If you crash, the FAA can find out whose drone it is by looking up whose name and information is associated with that number.

Reactions: kmaluo
So you do register your drone? Lol. Sorry, I'm confused.
I'm assuming it's only confusing because you haven't registered yet. Head over to the FAA's website and register. The process will be clear as day then.

I'm assuming it's only confusing because you haven't registered yet. Head over to the FAA's website and register. The process will be clear as day then.
Yes, thank you. So if you register, you still break the law if you fail to put your number on your new drone? Do most people put labeled tape or marker, or diamond pen straight to body?

if you register, you still break the law if you fail to put your number on your new drone?
Yes. You must label your drones. The label does not have to be on the outside -- just easily accessible (e.g. inside of the battery compartment).

Do most people put labeled tape or marker, or diamond pen straight to body?
I see most people applying some type of stickers. If you want something simple, these stickers will do the job.

Reactions: kmaluo
Actually I like the registration. Because someone called the police on me when I was flying from a church parking lot that I had permission to use. The policeman was very nice and said that since they got a call they have to check it out and it was probably someone that just doesn't like drones or one of these people that complain about everything. I just told him I am flying by the FAA rules and even showed him the FAA number, he said well as long as you have that number you are ok. Too tell the truth I am not even sure the police knew anything about the FAA rules.
EDIT: The FAA number was enough. Makes me wonder if it isn't a good idea to make the number look as official as possible. Not just a magic marker.

I have the Brothers tape labeler and it's so handy. I have three birds that needs the registration numbers and maybe four soon, if the Mavic has a good customer review.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Sorry to continue the registration topic but.....what about tourists? If I came from Oz to the States and brought a Mavic with me to film some scenery etc, can I fly it?

Sorry to continue the registration topic but.....what about tourists? If I came from Oz to the States and brought a Mavic with me to film some scenery etc, can I fly it?

I am just guessing but if you were staying at a location for awhile while you are in the states you could go to FAA site and get your FAA registered number to put on the drone. I think it is only 5 dollars and you get the number right away off the computer.

Sorry to continue the registration topic but.....what about tourists? If I came from Oz to the States
Per the FAA's FAQ:

"I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: at this time, the FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the United States or its territories or possessions."

When the drone is following, what exactly is it following? Is it following the remote control? Can it return to the remote control or just to the place from where it launched?

When the drone is following, what exactly is it following? Is it following the remote control? Can it return to the remote control or just to the place from where it launched?
It can follow people, bikes, dogs or other animals, boats and cars. You just select what you want it to follow and it will follow it (or do its best to).
Check Youtube for vids to see all the features it has.

It can follow people, bikes, dogs or other animals, boats and cars. You just select what you want it to follow and it will follow it (or do its best to).
Check Youtube for vids to see all the features it has.

Hmmm.

So you do register your drone? Lol. Sorry, I'm confused.

I chose to opt out of registering. 1. I saved myself being on another database. 2. Would be harder to trace back to me in the event of a fly away. 3. I've not once been asked for it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj