H4-3D gimbal only tilts about 15 degrees

Reaction score
I finally bought the P2 v2 with the H4-3D gimbal combo (and a Black Pearl FPV system with upgraded pentalobe antennas). I got it yesterday and installed the iOSD Mini, the anti-interference board, the H4-3D gimbal and the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter for the FPV.

I then performed the software/firmware update of the iOSD Mini, the P2 controller/transmitter and then Phantom 2 itself. After all of that, the only issue I currently have is that my gimbal won't tilt very far. Maybe 10-15 degrees max. It doesn't go straight forward or straight down. It starts out around a 45 degree angle and moves maybe up 5-7 degrees and down 5-7 degrees with the tilt wheel on the transmitter/controller. :(

Anyone know why this might be? How to fix it? Again, everything is brand new and I just got it yesterday and I've been doing a ton of research before buying and putting everything together, so I don't believe I did anything incorrect, but apparently I'm missing something here.

So, I'm trying to do research on this before anything else to verify everything is good or if something is broken and I have to return it. I do have the HERO3 Black in the H4-3D, but I don't think that is the issue. I know the HERO4 is heavier, but that still shouldn't make the gimbal only move about 15 degrees instead of the full 90. I could understand if it wasn't centered or something, but it shouldn't limit the movement like that.

My guess is it is some sort of calibration issue that I missed. I followed the DJI instruction guides and all of the info from inside the box, so not sure what I missed. I know that I have to calibrate the compass before flying it, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the gimbal. So, now I'm trying to find videos on calibrating the controller/transmitter or the P2 itself. To me, something has to be throwing it off and limiting the movement of the gimbal. :(

Any info would be helpful.
Thank you!
Mat G.

Use RC12 and calibrate all sticks including the tilt dial.
Repeat in Phantom assist.
Also check advance > gimbal, and horizontal and vertical = 0.

Thank you, Mako! I'm guessing by RC12, you mean the DJI RC Assist app/program, correct? That I haven't done yet. I mean, I used it to make sure the firmware was updated, but I didn't calibrate anything. Funny thing is, they don't tell you to do any of that on the "quick start guide" with the Phantom. They don't even really tell you to update the firmware. They just make sure you calibrate the compass and then tell you to go flying. :-o Kind of scary. I just downloaded the "main manual" and was going to read through that shortly. I figured it was some sort of calibration that I missed. I just found a video on it too, so that helps. :)

I did hear that you should do the calibration through the RC Assist app/program first and then do it again when attached to the Phantom through the Phantom Asst app/program. Somehow when done like that it will push from the RC to the Phantom or something. ???

Thanks for the heads up. Going to try that shortly.

Bingo! Thanks a bunch, Mako! That fixed it. I calibrated the controller/transmitter via the RC Assist app (connected to the controller) and then agaunb with the Phantom app (connected to the Phantom itself). After that and setting both the horizontal and vertical on the advanced gimbal settings to zero (it was at 30 & -30), it worked fine. I even rebooted everything to verify and it works fine. When you first turn it on, the gimbal sets the HERO at a 45 degree angle, but I can use the gimbal wheel (X1) to move it up to a 0 degree angle (straight out) or down to a 90 degree angle (straight down). I'm thrilled! Now that everything is working right, I might have to go out and find a safe spot to test out my flying skills. ;)

Oh and as a side note, I set the gimbal tilt gain from 50 to 10 while I was in the advanced section. I heard the lower the number, the smoother the gimbal tilt is for a smoother video. So, I can slowly push up the gimbal wheel and it doesn't shoot up to a new angle, but does it nice and smooth. Very cool.

Another question. I read a couple of other posts on here about the gimbal needing to be balanced. I never even thought about the gimbal being out of balance. I bought the P2 with the H4-3D, but I am using a HERO3 GoPro on it. It flops to one side when the Phantom is powered off as in a video I saw on here.

However, when I turn on my Phantom and the gimbal resets and such, it actually faces down at a 45* angle. It doesn't position/look straight forward like most do in the videos on here. I have to use the thumb wheel on the TX to get it to look straight/forward. It will go from 90* to 0* with the thumb wheel now that I set the configuration as posted above, but anytime I turn the Phantom on, it automatically faces the GoPro down at a 45* angle. I'm now noticing others don't do that, so I wonder if that is a balancing issue or is it a configuration issue?

Mine faces down at c.45degrees too on start-up.

However, I really want to thank you South Bay Photo and Mako79 for this discussion. It solved the same problem on my P2 + 4H-HD which South Bay Photo first highlighted. All's fine now.

Same problem [emoji6]
Also red led solid ?
Is that normal?

Red is abnormal.
Does the Phantom Assist tell you the Gimbal Firmware?
If not, you need to reset the gimbal by doing the shorting.
You tube reset H3-3D. Some use scissors, some use paper clips.
Once it resets, you may need an older Phantom Assist 3.6 app to "upgrade" the blank gimbal firmware. The newer 3.8 / 3.10 may not see the gimbal.

AND YES 45 degrees when initiated is normal.

done reset , update to newest software
still red led
Make sure you have your Phantom on a perfectly level surface then go to the "Tools" page in the Phantom 2 Software assistant, (IMU Calibration). At the bottom of the screen, select the Advanced tab and then click on the Advanced Cali button. Follow on screen instructions to do the advanced calibration. That should fix it. I had the same issue and this took care of it.

Let us know how it goes.

Phil

Another question. I read a couple of other posts on here about the gimbal needing to be balanced. I never even thought about the gimbal being out of balance. I bought the P2 with the H4-3D, but I am using a HERO3 GoPro on it. It flops to one side when the Phantom is powered off as in a video I saw on here.
The H4-3D is designed to be perfectly balanced when you put a GoPro Hero 4 in it. The Hero 3 is weighted a bit differently and won't sit perfectly level when there is no power to the H4-3D. This shouldn't cause problems when everything is on though.

AND YES 45 degrees when initiated is normal.
+1 to this. Just tilt it up before you start recording.

The H4-3D is designed to be perfectly balanced when you put a GoPro Hero 4 in it. The Hero 3 is weighted a bit differently and won't sit perfectly level when there is no power to the H4-3D. This shouldn't cause problems when everything is on though.

+1 to this. Just tilt it up before you start recording.

I am having exactly the same problem with my new P2 and H4-3D

but i'm having another problem where i cannot get to transmitter to show up in the program to download any upgrades etc.

the p2 flys fine otherwise, but sure got a lot heavier and a bit sluggish when i added the gimble

matthew

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20