H3-3D on Phantom 1. Is it possible?

FredMurtz said:
Thanks Danielhv. I want the H3-3D gimbal and that link has a board that says it's for the 2D gimbal? Will that upgrade board work with a 3D gimbal or is my only option a 2D gimbal?

It works for the 3D as well. I'm running it myself.

FredMurtz said:
Thanks Danielhv. I want the H3-3D gimbal and that link has a board that says it's for the 2D gimbal? Will that upgrade board work with a 3D gimbal or is my only option a 2D gimbal?

Works fine with the H3-3D, I've been using that combo for a while now :)

thank you both. Got the CC burning a hole in my hand right now.

Well,,,, got the 1.0 apart, got the upgrade board all ready to go with the Nazi transfered over to new board. The gimbel didnt come with any install instructions but I found a wiring diagram on DJI's page http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/H3-3D-GCU_Connection. I have the bottom red Naza M. What is the black unit above the black Naza? I don't have that. Is there a best place to mount the black gimbel Naza? Is there a best way to route the control cables? I'd like to get this right the first time and not have to take the phantom apart several times. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20140819_231709[1].jpg
    20140819_231709[1].jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 466
FredMurtz said:
Well,,,, got the 1.0 apart, got the upgrade board all ready to go with the Nazi transfered over to new board. The gimbel didnt come with any install instructions but I found a wiring diagram on DJI's page http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/H3-3D-GCU_Connection. I have the bottom red Naza M. What is the black unit above the black Naza? I don't have that. Is there a best place to mount the black gimbel Naza? Is there a best way to route the control cables? I'd like to get this right the first time and not have to take the phantom apart several times. Thanks.

Your upgrade board has the GCU built in to it, so you don't need that part. Just install the board+NAZA in the Phantom, and plug the gimbal cable straight to the port on the edge of the board.

If you don't already have it, this is the bracket for mounting the H3-3D on a P1, also includes slightly longer legs: http://www.allerc.com/dji-part-49-zh3-3 ... -9209.html

Thanks OI P, I got the longer legs kit. Is there any software updates I need to do once I get it all installed or just test the gimbel and go test fly it? On the cables to the gimbel, just cut a hole in the shell or what is the best way to route them outside the shell?

Question... Im running a Phantom 1.5, (with the upgrade board), and the H3-3D P2 version (no GCU).... How do I update the firmware, etc in the gimbal? The naza assistant doesnt show it, just shows the H3-2D upgrade board......

FredMurtz said:
Thanks OI P, I got the longer legs kit. Is there any software updates I need to do once I get it all installed or just test the gimbel and go test fly it? On the cables to the gimbel, just cut a hole in the shell or what is the best way to route them outside the shell?

You'll want to connect the Phantom to the Assistant software and let it search for any upgrades, the board might need it (see below for more info). The 8-pin gimbal cable should feed down through one of the existing holes in the body (where the legs mount), you'll just need to twist the cable back on to the connector a bit to get it all through at once...and use a hole with nothing else already fed through it.

Danielhv said:
Question... Im running a Phantom 1.5, (with the upgrade board), and the H3-3D P2 version (no GCU).... How do I update the firmware, etc in the gimbal? The naza assistant doesnt show it, just shows the H3-2D upgrade board......

The upgrade board should be all you need to update the firmware for...the GCU is built in to that board, so there's nothing else on the gimbal to update.

I'm also going to install on my H3-3D P1 (The Orginal).
Now I have H3-2D.

I installed motherboard upgrade, ie. I have integrated GCU1 and PMU2.
I have also Sarawuth upgrade for CANbus on motherboard upgrade. I have iOSD Mk II.

My question is - will change me yet smooth and slow motion tilt of camera, as I now have on H3-2D?
That means for the ugly fast and choppy movement, as some pilots complained?

I don't also change my original DJI Tx eg to any new Tx (Futaba), due to programming slow motion tilt on on any new Tx... ;)
Thanks.

The reason I asked about updating the gimbal is because it doesn't show up in the Naza assistant upgrade tab. Also, I have no control over the gains on the gimbal. I can turn the gimbal controls off in the Naza assistant software, but it does not turn it off on the quad. It still operates off of the lever on the back of the controller. So whenever I try to change the gain for the manual control to 1 or 2 to smooth out my tilt, it makes absolutely no difference. No difference between 1, or 100. Any ideas?

I've seen some poor install instructions in my time but I have to hand it to DJI, they dont even provide any with the H3-3D gimbel. But I'm hard headed and determined to muddle through this install. The lastest snag.

Red & black to A+ & ground no problem.
8 pin from black gimbel controller to gimbel, no problem..
4 pin from black gimbel controller to EXP port on red NAZA unit on the MC, doesn't appear to fit. This is the only 4 pin cable in the gimbel box. The retainer tang appears to not allow the connector to seat and the connector doesnt appear to even fit in the slot on the red NAZA unti.

The online DJI diagram I'm using since they provided NO install instructions. http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/H3-3D-GCU_Connection

Attachments

• 20140822_172341[1].jpg
    20140822_172341[1].jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 417
  • 20140822_172402[1].jpg
    20140822_172402[1].jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 20140822_172436[1].jpg
    20140822_172436[1].jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 394
Fred, you don't need the GCU for this install, just plug the 8-pin ribbon cable from the gimbal straight to the port on the Phantom mainboard. That canbus cable you're worried about isn't needed ;)

smiley_doh.gif
Thats where instructions from DJI would be real nice. Thanks OI P.

2 more noob questions if I may and then I'll go hide. Is the power cable from the gimbel they show on that diagram needed then? I'm assuming tilt control is also not needed then?

Correct and correct :) No power connection (or tilt control input) needed, the 8-pin cable from the gimbal to mainboard handles everything you need.

I'm guessing the reason you aren't finding the right instructions is that DJI didn't intend for the H3-3D to be used on the P1, and I think their official statement is that it's unsupported. You could probably just use the P1 connection diagrams for an H3-2D :)

What a cluster this has turned out to be. The sensor hole looked a little tight for a 2nd cable to be pushed through but since that's what was recommended I went that route instead of drilling a new hole in the shell. I've been soldering and working around PC boards for 40+ years so this is not new to me. Good lighting, the right tools, magnifier when needed. My recommendation, drill a new hole. The connector gets stuck and you have to push and pull it out of the hole in the shell. I grabbed it with some small pliers to get it unstuck and damaged the fragile connector i guess or it ripped out coming through, not sure which one. The hole is too small, that's for sure. Also, bending wires at extreme angles like this to cram a connector through a small hole is not a good idea. Even if you make it through you can have a damaged connector that looks okay. This will cause intermittent operation. You can also damage the other cable while you wrestle to get the gimbel cable through.

So, one wasted black 8 pin cable. There is a shorter gray 8 pin cable that might work but I need to go find the MISSING gimbel mount instructions online to see if it will even reach. After that I guess I start trying to find a 8 pin cable that is long enough.

P.S. Since this upgrade isnt't supported, does anyone have a suggestion on how the gimbel is mounted? I do see any screw holes on the shell for it. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20140822_213432[1].jpg
    20140822_213432[1].jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 20140822_213459[1].jpg
    20140822_213459[1].jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 369
FredMurtz said:
What a cluster this has turned out to be. The sensor hole looked a little tight for a 2nd cable to be pushed through but since that's what was recommended I went that route instead of drilling a new hole in the shell. I've been soldering and working around PC boards for 40+ years so this is not new to me. Good lighting, the right tools, magnifier when needed. My recommendation, drill a new hole. The connector gets stuck and you have to push and pull it out of the hole in the shell. I grabbed it with some small pliers to get it unstuck and damaged the fragile connector i guess or it ripped out coming through, not sure which one. The hole is too small, that's for sure. Also, bending wires at extreme angles like this to cram a connector through a small hole is not a good idea. Even if you make it through you can have a damaged connector that looks okay. This will cause intermittent operation. You can also damage the other cable while you wrestle to get the gimbel cable through.

So, one wasted black 8 pin cable. There is a shorter gray 8 pin cable that might work but I need to go find the MISSING gimbel mount instructions online to see if it will even reach. After that I guess I start trying to find a 8 pin cable that is long enough. What a waste of time to just add a gimbel.

P.S. Since this upgrade isnt't supported, does anyone have a suggestion on how the gimbel is mounted? I do see any screw holes on the shell for it. Thanks.

Yeah I'd forgotten they'd made the holes in the P2 shell a little bigger than the ones on the P1 were. The grey cable should be the same length, DJI sells it in a number of their cabling kits. If it's not long enough let me know and I think I have a standard-length spare I could...spare.

DJI makes a mounting bracket for the H3-3D on a P1 (even though, you know, it's not "supported" :D) http://www.allerc.com/dji-part-49-zh3-3 ... -9209.html

Thanks OI P, just a bit frustrated now. I have the mounting kit and will press on. Thanks again.

Thanks PJA, the extra gray cable in the kit will work.

Guess who found a hole already there on the other arm that is not used? RIght where I need it? There is 1 hole each in the other 2 arms with rubber plugs in them. I missed them completely while looking where to drill a hole and only found them when re-reading the upgrade board instructions. I was rechecking where to plug everything back into the NAZA and saw the gimbel cable on the pic.

Even better, here's a video on how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmDPsxhqEA#t=71

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic