H3-3D on Phantom 1. Is it possible?

Reaction score
Hello guys, i'm new at this forum and my first question is a zenmuse h3-3d could be added in a Phantom 1?

David Weber said:
Hello guys, i'm new at this forum and my first question is a zenmuse h3-3d could be added in a Phantom 1?

This is my exact question. With the H3-2D discontinued and the H3-3D supposedly being "Phantom 2 Only", what Zenmuse options do Phantom V1.1.1 owners have? Hoping this can still be done with the upgrade it used for H3-2D but could somebody more knowledgable weigh in on this before I pull the trigger?

Yes, this will be possible. There's a "Phantom 1" mounting kit for the H3-3D that includes a bracket and longer landing gear, and an H3-3D sku that includes the GCU needed to work with the P1 (you would still need to add a PMU-V2 for CANBus).

There are reports that the H3-3D works fine with the H3-2D GCU or with the Phantom 1 upgrade board, but those are probably unsupported configurations and YMMV/caveat emptor etc.

ElGuano said:
Yes, this will be possible. There's a "Phantom 1" mounting kit for the H3-3D that includes a bracket and longer landing gear, and an H3-3D sku that includes the GCU needed to work with the P1 (you would still need to add a PMU-V2 for CANBus).

There are reports that the H3-3D works fine with the H3-2D GCU or with the Phantom 1 upgrade board, but those are probably unsupported configurations and YMMV/caveat emptor etc.

Sick! Got anxious and ordered up a H3-2D. Stoked either way.

OI Photography said:
My H3-3D is on the way now, once it arrives I'll be able confirm whether it works with the P1 upgrade board in place of the GCU.

Do you have the Phantom 1 mounting plate?

I'm about to order mine now for delivery tommorow, but still can't get the mounting plate for Phantom 1 instock anywhere.

http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/h3-3d-moun ... 1426-p.asp

H3-3D Mounting Adapter for Phantom 1 Part 49

Reactions: Intheway
davemcm said:
OI Photography said:
My H3-3D is on the way now, once it arrives I'll be able confirm whether it works with the P1 upgrade board in place of the GCU.

Do you have the Phantom 1 mounting plate?

I'm about to order mine now for delivery tommorow, but still can't get the mounting plate for Phantom 1 instock anywhere.

http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/h3-3d-moun ... 1426-p.asp

H3-3D Mounting Adapter for Phantom 1 Part 49

Nope, my upgrade board-equipped Phantom is in a P2 shell now, so I ordered that version of the mounting bracket (for the P2 shells like mine without the newer hole in them). I didn't find anyone with the P1 version in stock either, as I was looking to get that for mounting on my 550.

I'm pleased to report that the H3-3D does indeed work with the P1 upgrade board in place of the GCU.

ElGuano said:

While I wouldn't exactly call my configuration "supported" lol...it did work like a charm. I tested it on my 550 first (worked beautifully) and since the Phantom mounting bracket doesn't arrive until Monday, I just did a quick dirty test by simply unplugging the 8-pin cable from the H3-3D GCU I put on the 550 and plugging it into the upgrade board on my Phantom:

BozJTqNl.jpg

When I powered on the Phantom, the gimbal started up as normal, and responded properly to X1 channel input. Interestingly enough, it would respond to movement by either aircraft when connected that way...if I moved the Phantom, the gimbal would move as it would if it was mounted to it (even though it was still bolted to the 550). And, it would hold level and do yaw follow as well when I moved the 550 around. However, the movements were a bit less precise, and maybe even a little more hesitant, than when both the GCU being used and the gimbal were on the same aircraft. So, I guess that points to the fact that the Zenmuse uses blended input from the FC and its own IMU to get the job done. And also the likelihood that the "H3-3D GCU" is just the H3-2D model with a new label. Either way, it was a fun test, and I'm thrilled to find out I can swap the gimbal between both platforms without having to buy a 2nd stand-alone GCU for the Phantom.

Have you done any further tests with the upgrade board equipped Phantom 1 and the H3-3D? I am thinking of doing this same upgrade.
Thanks
michael

legrandphoto said:
Have you done any further tests with the upgrade board equipped Phantom 1 and the H3-3D? I am thinking of doing this same upgrade.
Thanks
michael

Testing completed successfully a while ago, and many regular flights logged since then...still works like a charm :)

Btw this is DJI's mounting kit for the H3-3D on a P1, includes the required bracket plus slightly longer landing gear to give the gimbal some ground clearance: http://www.allerc.com/dji-part-49-zh3-3 ... -9209.html

where are you guys mounting the anti interference board at? I have a phantom 1.5, and can't seem to find a decent place to mount it.

Danielhv said:
where are you guys mounting the anti interference board at? I have a phantom 1.5, and can't seem to find a decent place to mount it.

I just did without it, since it made no noticeable difference when I tested. I had planned to find a place internally for it since I still have plenty of room in there.

OI Photography said:
Danielhv said:

I just did without it, since it made no noticeable difference when I tested. I had planned to find a place internally for it since I still have plenty of room in there.

I'll do the same then, that'll help out with room.

Thank you sir!

I want to install the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal on my 1.0. I see where to get the gimbal, where would I get the upgrade board? Thanks.

Thanks Danielhv. I want the H3-3D gimbal and that link has a board that says it's for the 2D gimbal? Will that upgrade board work with a 3D gimbal or is my only option a 2D gimbal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers