H3-3D DEAD AFTER INSTALLING FIRMWARE UPDATE

Reaction score
Have had my Phantom 2 for a little over a month now and went in to update the firmware to keep up to date. Now the Zenmuse H3-3D gimball is totally unresponsive and is not even listed in the Assistant software.
Loved my original videos, but am now cant even use it. Horribly disappointed as I have received no support emails from DJI in 5 days!

That sucks! Good luck!

ddublu said:
Where in the world do you connect the gimble to a PC to update it?
When the Phantom is connected via USB to the Assistant software, the gimbal is one of the components accessed. Both settings and any available firmware updates can be applied.

Away Point said:
That sucks! Good luck!

ddublu said:
When the Phantom is connected via USB to the Assistant software, the gimbal is one of the components accessed. Both settings and any available firmware updates can be applied.

So I have P2 on and connected to computer via USB & Micro-USB plug in actual P2....when I go into DJI-Assistant I see GCU and IMU and neither of them see a device when I click on "no updates." I loaded the windows driver for the DJI OSD 4.0 Assistant...is there one for this program as well? Anything else I should try?

ddublu said:
Away Point said:
That sucks! Good luck!

ddublu said:

So I have P2 on and connected to computer via USB & Micro-USB plug in actual P2....when I go into DJI-Assistant I see GCU and IMU and neither of them see a device when I click on "no updates." I loaded the windows driver for the DJI OSD 4.0 Assistant...is there one for this program as well? Anything else I should try?
All I can tell you is what I see on my setup, and here is what I see on the Upgrade tab...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 6.53.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 6.53.38 AM.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,795
Any there any Wizards out there that can solve this problem of the H3-3D going dead, after a firmware update to the Phantom 2? I have essentially the same thing with my P2 after a month of successful flying with it "out of the box", and now the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal is DEAD, after I decided to 'upgrade' my Phantom 2's firmware. BIG MISTAKE! DON'T DO IT, FOLKS!!!

I've tried the 'reset' offered here --> http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14624#p136491 but it hasn't worked for me. I have the same symptoms of a red light on the gimbal at power up of the Phantom 2, but the gimbal just hangs limp and does nothing. It has power. I've done the controller process of calibrating the sticks, rebinding, etc. in the RC software, then in the DJI Assistant Software (V 3.0). The gimbal indicates "ON" in the DJI Asst. software and I have included a screen shot of my "update" window. Notice the Gimbal CMU Hardware ID name. Is this normal or flaky? Have I somehow 'toasted' my H3-3D by trying to upgrade my Phantom 2's firmware?

OK...what's the trick to make it work again? Anyone?

My hardware configuration:
DJI Phantom 2
Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal
GoPro Hero 3+ (Silver)

Attachments

• PH2 Upgrade.jpg
    PH2 Upgrade.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,634
Now mine is dead too! ^#&$%#&#%!!!!!!

Jumped the terminals as suggest several places... Nothing... Dead!

"H3-3D IMU" no longer shows up in the Update list either.

What a pain in the ***. Its been 3 months of fighting with the thing trying to make it behave, and now the final act: Paper Weight

Mine died too. I was having trouble getting x1 to work and still am. X1 is completely unresponsive. Anyway, updated everything and my H3-3D just died. I managed to get it going following the instructions in the link OI posted above. So, I guess I'm just back where I started. No x1 at all. I've got until Aug 8 to return this thing to Amazon. I'd rather not have to do that but I'm stuck.

gcvt said:
Mine died too. I was having trouble getting x1 to work and still am. X1 is completely unresponsive. Anyway, updated everything and my H3-3D just died. I managed to get it going following the instructions in the link OI posted above. So, I guess I'm just back where I started. No x1 at all. I've got until Aug 8 to return this thing to Amazon. I'd rather not have to do that but I'm stuck.

Don't give up on the gimbal yet, the gimbal tilt pot on the controller itself (the thing inside that the lever moves) is often the source of issues with no response on the X1 channel. I've read numerous reports of the pot getting pushed down a little too far which will result in the lever not moving it. To check it you'll need to open up the controller and you'll find two little pots under where the lever is, they're yellow-orange and have a big + on them where the lever is supposed to connect and move the top one. Look to see if the little mounts the pot sits on have been compressed/bent...others with that problem have been able to resolve it by carefully bending them back so the pot sits at the necessary height off the board for the lever to connect.

*** UPDATE ***

First of all, let me just comment that I think the whole situation with the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal going limp was caused by hooking my DJI Phantom 2 up to my PC and running the DJI Assistant software (V3.0) and updating the Main Controller firmware to V3.04. I think something in this process (or the firmware) caused the H3-3D to no longer function...that's my opinion....your opinion is probably different...but I'm stickin' to mine!!

Well after two days of searching, reading and trying different solutions from the Internet forums about this issue, I am excited to report that I was able to bring my Zenmuse H3-3D back to life! Didn't think it was going to happen, but late this afternoon, I finally made it twitch!

How, you ask? Well, let's just say, I learned a lot about the different versions of the DJI Assistant software (versions 1.08, 2.00 and 3,00), the RC Assistant software, and the firmware 'update process' with the DJI Phantom 2 on my own. Thanks to all those that went before me though and posted their experiences, as well as videos for my educational process! It wasn't quite as scary knowing some of you had been down this path before. So, I really want to thank those involved in the solutions I found that worked for me.

I blindly followed people's advice, either in forums or via YouTube videos, in learning about the firmware upgrade process with the DJI Assistant and RC software. I must say, I'm not fond of the exact process for updating the various firmwares in the DJI Phantom 2. It seems a little haphazard to me and the relationship between one firmware upgrade and another was somewhat confusing at the beginning. (Still is, as far as that goes...) Not knowing that I needed to see the 'H3-3D IMU' listed in the upgrade window of the DJI Assistant software stifled me, until I read somewhere that I should be seeing that. That piece of knowledge led me to find the photo that Tahoe Ed posted in the RCGroups.com forum of the backplane of the H3-3D pins and the instructions to short two of them out to 'reset' the gimbal. I had initially tried that procedure, but evidently had failed in following the exact steps.

Well, this afternoon, I decided to try it one more time. It is a little hard to hold the backplane, a pair of tweezers and power on the Phantom 2 all at once, but I succeeded in doing it. When I finally got it, the gimbal's red & yellow light came on! Since I already had the Phantom 2 connected to my PC with the USB cable, I fired up the DJI Assistant software and selected the "upgrade tab". Lo and behold, there was the H3-3D IMU now showing in the listing of firmware. I selected it, went for the updated 1.0.0.6 version and performed it. It succeeded as "successful', so I cycled power on the Phantom 2 and all of sudden, the gimbal came to life!

I did some gimbal adjustments in the DJI Assistant software (V3.0) to verify everything was working, and it was! So, I disconnected from the PC and took her flyin'! SUCCESS! All is back to normal, with updated firmware on the Main controller (3.04) and the H3-3D IMU (1.0.0.6). Whew...glad that's over for now...No more firmware updates for me....at least for awhile!!!

Hope this helps some of you, if you have the same problem I did! GOOD LUCK!

P.S. The update process I mainly followed is here:

Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed in the RCGroups.com forum
Here is a reset procedure from DJI.

1. jumper the 2 dots in the picture below using tweezers.
2. power on phantom
3. remove tweezers when you see red and yellow LED on together.
4. connect to assistant software to re-upgrade.

Attachments

• H3-3D Reset.jpg
    H3-3D Reset.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,317
JDN said:
*** UPDATE ***

First of all, let me just comment that I think the whole situation with the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal going limp was caused by hooking my DJI Phantom 2 up to my PC and running the DJI Assistant software (V3.0) and updating the Main Controller firmware to V3.04. I think something in this process (or the firmware) caused the H3-3D to no longer function...that's my opinion....your opinion is probably different...but I'm stickin' to mine!!

Well after two days of searching, reading and trying different solutions from the Internet forums about this issue, I am excited to report that I was able to bring my Zenmuse H3-3D back to life! Didn't think it was going to happen, but late this afternoon, I finally made it twitch!

How, you ask? Well, let's just say, I learned a lot about the different versions of the DJI Assistant software (versions 1.08, 2.00 and 3,00), the RC Assistant software, and the firmware 'update process' with the DJI Phantom 2 on my own. Thanks to all those that went before me though and posted their experiences, as well as videos for my educational process! It wasn't quite as scary knowing some of you had been down this path before. So, I really want to thank those involved in the solutions I found that worked for me.

I blindly followed people's advice, either in forums or via YouTube videos, in learning about the firmware upgrade process with the DJI Assistant and RC software. I must say, I'm not fond of the exact process for updating the various firmwares in the DJI Phantom 2. It seems a little haphazard to me and the relationship between one firmware upgrade and another was somewhat confusing at the beginning. (Still is, as far as that goes...) Not knowing that I needed to see the 'H3-3D IMU' listed in the upgrade window of the DJI Assistant software stifled me, until I read somewhere that I should be seeing that. That piece of knowledge led me to find the photo that Tahoe Ed posted in the RCGroups.com forum of the backplane of the H3-3D pins and the instructions to short two of them out to 'reset' the gimbal. I had initially tried that procedure, but evidently had failed in following the exact steps.

Well, this afternoon, I decided to try it one more time. It is a little hard to hold the backplane, a pair of tweezers and power on the Phantom 2 all at once, but I succeeded in doing it. When I finally got it, the gimbal's red & yellow light came on! Since I already had the Phantom 2 connected to my PC with the USB cable, I fired up the DJI Assistant software and selected the "upgrade tab". Lo and behold, there was the H3-3D IMU now showing in the listing of firmware. I selected it, went for the updated 1.0.0.6 version and performed it. It succeeded as "successful', so I cycled power on the Phantom 2 and all of sudden, the gimbal came to life!

I did some gimbal adjustments in the DJI Assistant software (V3.0) to verify everything was working, and it was! So, I disconnected from the PC and took her flyin'! SUCCESS! All is back to normal, with updated firmware on the Main controller (3.04) and the H3-3D IMU (1.0.0.6). Whew...glad that's over for now...No more firmware updates for me....at least for awhile!!!

Hope this helps some of you, if you have the same problem I did! GOOD LUCK!

P.S. The update process I mainly followed is here:

Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed in the RCGroups.com forum
Here is a reset procedure from DJI.

1. jumper the 2 dots in the picture below using tweezers.
2. power on phantom
3. remove tweezers when you see red and yellow LED on together.
4. connect to assistant software to re-upgrade.

Thanks for posting this. After updating quad this afternoon i had a limp gimbal. After following these instructions was able to reset and update properly.

How long did you have to wait after power-up to get both lights? Seconds, minutes?
Thanks

Just seconds. If you don't get both lights right away, start again. It's tricky to keep the tweezers on those two little squares, while you are powering up the P2!

Hi; mine also dies just as updated the firmware (bad step!)....so after reading the above I followed the exact same steps and got the update Gimball on the assistant....BUT it says Loader 0.0.0.0 and no updates :-(....I hit it still and yet it does not update after it says checking the firmware upgrades......this really sucks !!......any help or advice please?

Zappata007 - It's been awhile since I did this procedure, so I'm not sure I can help...but a couple of things come to mind...Are you connected to the Internet when you run the DJI Assistant software? It seems to me, you must have Internet access for it to find the necessary firmware updates. Also, did you see the "H3-3D IMU" in the listing of firmware? That's the firmware that must be updated to 'fix' the limp gimbal after upgrading your controller firmware. If you're not seeing the "IMU" firmware version, I'd start again with trying the "reset procedure" outlined from DJI and posted by Tahoe Ed at the RCGroups.com forum. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes I did try the "fix" from RCGroups.com and I see the upgrade IMU buttom on the assistsant; but it says version 0.0.0.0 and no upgrade available. I think probably something to do in the communication between the assistant and Gimball ?

Windows or MAC? After updating the firmware in Windows, my gimbal was dead, so I had to do the reset. But the P2 Assistant Software showed the H3-3D with no updates. Version showed 0000. I tried installing the software in my MAC and this time it showed the latest firmware. I updated and calibrated the X1 lever. The gimbal
is working now.

Before I did the software part, I opened up the RC and saw that the lever is not in contact with the pot, so I
did this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJLIHm2m90E

ZAPPATA007 said:
Hi; mine also dies just as updated the firmware (bad step!)....so after reading the above I followed the exact same steps and got the update Gimball on the assistant....BUT it says Loader 0.0.0.0 and no updates :-(....I hit it still and yet it does not update after it says checking the firmware upgrades......this really sucks !!......any help or advice please?

I also have the same problem. What to Do

rajabzadeh said:
ZAPPATA007 said:

I also have the same problem. What to Do

Any luck fixing this issue? I have the same problem!!!

Gimbal is dead after resetting the cmu and no upgrade available in assistant software. says 1.0.0.0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl