Gyrating up and down, up and down, why?

Reaction score
I need to understand what happened today: (Phantom 4)
Fully charged batteries.
Did preflight.
Usual place for take off
DJI GO4.
Said Inconsistent firmware.
I updated.
Switched off controller and aircraft (Phantom 4)
Turned on a/.c and controller (Controller 1st)
Calibrated IMU and Gimbal.
Switched everything off and restarted.
OBS off. VPS ON.
Took of very slowly as usual and when it got to 6" or so, started going up and down several times, about 6" each time. I did the best I could to land and shut off motors.
Turned everything off and restarted again.
Tried to take off again. Got to 6 or so inches and same behavior. Up and down, up and down.
"Landed of sorts" and switched everything off and restarted.
Took off again and climbed to 6 inches or so. Same behavior, up and down but this time I climbed to 3 feet and then 6 feet. It started to stabilize. I moved it to a more open (to sky) location 10 feet away and climbed to 12 feet or so. Got 16 sats. Was stable from that point on tested very carefully in all modes and sent on a W/P mission not far away, no problem.
What caused this? (All's well that ends well)
New England DJI Phantom Owners Group #Phantom4 #DJI #DJIGO4 #Firmwareupdate

Thanks in advance

FWIW mine behaves similarly if I don't take it straight up in the air. I have read of prop wash coming I to play if you you're sitting there hovering, possible surface issues beneath the quad affecting the VPS. After I have checked everything is fine after start up, I don't hang around and just take it straight up. I hand catch rather than manually land to avoid the quad moving around too much trying to put it back down on the launch pad.

Last edited:
There no point in checking stability at 6 inches level. Also never lift off slowly at site. Move up quickly to 10' or higher.

There no point in checking stability at 6 inches level. Also never lift off slowly at site. Move up quickly to 10' or higher.
Thanks guys for the feedback. I had always flown this way. From same spot and always took off in same manner from same spot. But the gyrating began as soon as I started to life off...Didn't even get to my low initial hover point. Went up a few inches as I continued to up stick on left stick....And after a few inches started going up and down, upon and down, up and down...As I said though I had a "happy ending".....Very curious on how did this/how it happened...Etc.

Hope that this doesn't sound TOO stupid ! Exactly how do you hand catch? What are the stops. I could see having it hover and walking over to it and grabbing l/g with one hand but how do you them shut down....Please explain to this stupid flyer....

There have a number of threads on hand catching the safe way. You can either use the search engine at the top of this page or use YouTube. Watching a video on either is easier than me stepping you through it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues