Ground Station Keeps Dropping Connection, Short Range

That's an interesting issue. I use GS for iPad which I find suits me well for its portability and ease of setting up but I struggle with the Bluetooth units reliability. Anyway, that aside I have decided to try a different antenna on the ground end to see if this makes a difference to the reliability of the signal received and as such I have just had a 2.4ghz patch antenna arrive from Hobbyking which I'm going to try. Only problem is that I brought a SMA fitted antenna when I should have purchased the RP variant. I've run out of adaptors. On one recent GS flight I went out to a large open lagoon near my home and flew the P2 for over 2km with full reception back on my GS app which was amazing. I think that the 2.4 frequency used is very sensitive to RFI regardless of any other issues. A friend of mine is an electronics engineer who is pretty certain he can upgrade the antenna on the air end to greatly improve the reception so if anything develops there I'll let you know.

I still have the problem with loosing connection between the PC GS and the Phantom. I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this issue and thought I would share my results thus far.

1. I loose connection with the Phantom even in the SIMULATION mode.
2. I loose connection at short distances, 5 to 20 feet
3. I loose connection on both my desktop and laptop PC
4. I have both USB connectors plugged into the PC so it is getting sufficient power
5. After losing connection, if I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in to the PC I can reconnect with the Phantom, but within seconds loose connection again.
6. I wonder if the problem is that I am losing the USB connection between the PC and the Data Link ground end unit?
7. I wonder if my problem is because I have the Data Link air end hardware “inside” the Phantom rather than outside? Anyone have the Data Link air end hardware inside the Phantom?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Personally I think if you have the air end inside the Phantom it would make no difference as long as the antennas are outside.

I have now also done some testing like you have....My Results:

Set Up: Phantom sat on garden table with good GPS signal (6+ Obtained) Laptop connected to Ground End Data Link via supplied USB cable using both connectors (Bluetooth adaptor disconnected). This is set up inside 8m away from Phantom, only obstruction is big glass door.

Open up GS and power on RC all running fine and ground end data link searching for Phantom. Power on Phantom and data link connects, correct lights at both air and ground end. Click connect to com port in GS on laptop and handshakes with Phantom fine. Enter Simulate mode, plan and upload way points, hit go, all working fine. Lasts about 2mins! Then it was just a battle trying to get it reconnected, air and ground end lights are always fine. Getting it to handshake again is a problem, when it does, it doesn't last long.

Then thought id take the laptop and usb out of the equation, so same set up with distance ect.. but ground end connected to battery power supply and Bluetooth adaptor connected, connects to iPad perfect, runs several simulated flights, also walked around the house with data link and iPad no problem working though walls. Unfortunately because of the weather at the moment I haven't been able to test this with a real flight. Though it has always worked best this way in the past but also has had the same problem I'm having with my laptop lately.

I disagree with what Pete said though, that you don't need the connection... While yes it will fly the mission that its given with out being connected, but personally I think the whole point of GS is so you can keep tabs on its location during BOV flight! So if it does go down you know exactly where it is. I have FPV and it works perfect I've used it up to 900m so far! But suppose it depends what your flying over but watching it go down or land somewhere else with no way of being able to review the footage to get better bearings of its location is useless compared to having its coordinates?

February will be the tail end of summer, November and December are the best months. I'm moving back to the UK end of Feb though.

HSR,

I read your post like a suspense thriller, I was hanging on every word.

I can't take the USB/laptop out of the equation because I don't have an iPad, however, I am going to power the ground end data link with external battery power next.

So while your iPad results aren't yet conclusive, it appears you have made some progress indicating the ground end data link is the problem.

I agree with you 100% about having full time communication with the Phantom is important even though the Phantom will complete an autonomous mission.

You should hear from me very soon about connecting battery power to the data link. I anxiously await your next chapter in this suspense thriller, but maybe I can write it.

HSR,

I just got back from testing PC GS with the data link ground end powered by an external battery, no luck. However, like previously stated, I can disconnect the USB cable, insert it back into the data link hardware and reconnect with the Phantom consistently, but the connection lasts just a few seconds.

My only hope now is to find someone with a working PC GS to troubleshoot the problem. My best guess right now is that the problem has something to do with USB data link ground end.

I have also been experiencing the same loss of connection problems. Most of my flying is done in the city of Pittsburgh ,Pa USA. Unfortunately, I live right across the street from a major TV/Radio station which has many satellite dishes on their property. Even under those circumstances, I have been able to complete a dozen autonomous missions where the Phantom leaves visual flight range. (Not been able to simulate yet) My UAV leaves home point under PC GS monitoring, flies about 300 meters and then drops the connection. I must reconnect when the unit returns home with the very familiar whine of the props. The video is awesome with the Phantom patrolling the valley near my home.

If we get a solution to this problem, I would also be interested.

Hello folks!

First of all try to move RC Transmitter away from data link ground end. Had the same issue and moving transmitter ~5m away fixed it.

Second, if the signal is lost and it does not reconnect, I predict you have Windows on your machines. Linux/Mac does reconnect itself.
On Mac/Linux you can try to move remote closer and further and see how signal level changes.

Orionz,

Thanks for suggestion. Regarding your Mac/Linux comment about "data link re-connection" I'm not sure I understand. GS is not available for the Mac or Linux unless you are talking about "Parallels" for Mac or similar OS software for lInux to run Windows on those platforms. Is that what you are describing?

Sorry, I forgot that Ground Station is not on MAC/Linux because our product - UgCS is.
And during testing I noticed, that RC transmitter has a slight effect on Data link.

Hello,

I have had the same issue, using the ground station both on the Phantom 2, and the new high end A2 flight controller.
Had a severe crash because of the issue as I had no remote control at the time to bring the thing down any other way.

btw. i still find it troubling how the altitude and landing procedure goes:
The altitude is quite inaccurate as there is no support from an ultrasonic sensor available,
only the barometer. so somethimes i think the devices try to land inside the ground, not nice.

Anyways, Orionz, can the groundstation be made work with linux? I would be interested in this.
How would I do this?

Your help is much appreciated.

Orionz, i found it. You are doing some great work!

On the accuracy of reaching Waypoints: The phantom 2 has +-2,5 m, thats a 5 m circle, and the A2 has +-1,5 m, that is a circle of 3 m.

Technically , cm level accuracy can be reached but the technology is , for some reasons, not available well to the broader public. The technology is called Real Time Kinematic GPS. or RTK GPS.
Can we tackle this problem next?

Have you found a solution for the problem with ground station?
I have just started using Phantom 2 with ground station PC and facing the same problem of dropping connection.
I am using Windows 8.1 64-bit and it seems that in my case the problem is in the USB connection between the PC and ground end. The link remains OK between the ground end and air end (green LEDs) but the connection is lost between the PC and ground end. Sometimes an error message is shown in Windows stating that "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it". The USB connection is usually lost quite quickly in the beginning of mission, sometimes even before starting the mission.

@thunder

The problem you have is the exact same problem I have. I also believed the problem is with the USB connection and not the "air" link. However, I read you post twice and don't see a solution. You mention the problem but not the solution.

What is the solution?

I have recently installed Ground Station and tested it with both Bluetooth and ipad as well as a Microsoft Surface 3, with so far, no issues. I am powering the Ground station itself from the Black Pearl. I have not done any actual flights (too windy or wet here at the moment) but simulations go through without a hitch.

Are you using anything except the supplied USB cable? Alarm bells rang when one post was talking about a 10m USB cable, which would definitely not be a good idea.

I may have found the problem or one of them.
I have not tested it out yet, though. Maybe some brave souls can give it a try.

It looks like the GS transfers data at a rate of 115,200bps. But the USB COM port is set at 9,600bps, either by the driver or by default.
I think that this is going to cause a major problem.
You can view the USB COM properties by:
Start/Right click Computer/Manage/Device Manager/Ports (COM & LPT)/Right click DJI USB COM/Properties

So it looks to me that the bps need to be set at 115,200 and it has been suggested to me that the "Flow Control" MIGHT need to be set to "hardware"
Other research says that when clicking the "Advance" button in the "properties", that the "receive buffer" should be set low to correct connection issues and the "transmit buffer" should be set low.

The next attachment is where I got the "Buffer" info, but for different software.

And as always, I also got this advice:
You may want to verify these settings with the manufacturer of the device.

I don't know if these setting are right, just trying to help solve the issue.

Attachments

• gtg.PNG
    gtg.PNG
    96.7 KB · Views: 826
  • gggt.PNG
    gggt.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 756
  • abc.PNG
    abc.PNG
    73.7 KB · Views: 752
@auen1
Thank you for your very relevant suggestions. However, the proposed changes in the port properties of DJI USB Virtual COM did not solve the problem in my case. I did three separate tests:
1) Changing the bit rate to 115200
2) Bit rate=115200 + Flow control=Hardware
3) Bit rate=115200 + Flow control=Hardware + Buffer low
After each setting change I restarted the computer and run a test mission with GS. The USB connection between the ground unit and the PC still disconnected in less than 1 minute / 100 m distance.
The negative results may be specific to my computer so I do not discourage others from testing this possible solution.

I also ran the same tests with the same negative results.

I have given up spending time on this. GS allows me to download missions and GO, after that I don't rely on GS, I know within 10-20 seconds I will loose communication. I can unplug the USB cable from the laptop PC and plug it back in to restore communication, but 10-20 seconds later I loose contact again.

While I am unhappy with this, GS works nicely in all other ways. I give up.

Mine GS is working fine. Windows 8.1 and GS 4.0.11.
The ONLY bad connection is the button 'Fly trace' the Phantom 2 Icon STOPS between WP0 and WP 1 , but happy for me , the PH2 flies to the REST of the WP's even more than 700 meters away.

Did You Guys checked under windows advanced energy management the USB 'interruption'
that it is DISABLED ?

Dropke

@dropke,

Is this the configuration parameter you are talking about?

DJI GS USB config.jpg

Hi Rich,
Here's a little info I found out about USB selective suspend.
Maybe it will help.

I think that this link explains what those settings do in some detail.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2011/05/11/demystifying-usb-selective-suspend.aspx
A USB 2.0 device is sent to suspend state by first putting the port to which the device is attached, into a suspend state. That is done by sending a control transfer to the hub if the device is attached through a hub, or by manipulating port registers if the device is connected directly to the root hub.

After the port is suspended, the parent controller or the hub stops sending SOFs (Start of Frames) to the USB device. When a USB device does not receive SOFs for 3ms, the device goes into suspend state. This mechanism is known as selective suspend. The term selective suspend refers to sending only a part of the USB tree to suspend state as opposed to global suspend that refers to sending the entire bus in suspend state by stopping SOFs at the controller level.
Looks like if you disable "USB selective suspend" on USB 2 ports, it sounds like the rest of your system may not idle down. So you may want to make a custom power plan just for using the GS if you decide to disable.
Importance of Selective Suspend
The selective suspend feature conserves power significantly. Therefore it is imperative for USB devices and their function drivers to implement this feature. Any USB device that does not implement the selective suspend feature might prevent other components of the system from transitioning to lower power. For instance, a device that is attached through a hub prevents the hub and also the host controller from going to a low-power state. This could in turn prevent other system components, like the processor, from going to lower power. Thus, any device that does not implement the feature appropriately can lead to a significant power drain on the system depending on the system’s configuration. This is particularly important for USB 2.0 devices because the 2.0 protocol is very chatty. For example, a pending interrupt transfer requires constant polling between the host controller and the device.

BTW, my GS works for me. The only time I lose connection is when there is something blocking antenna's los.
This thread, on DJI's forum, suggests that GS that lose connection might be defective and should be sent in for repair.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4589&extra=page=1&lang=en

Hope you get 'er figured out.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20