GPS PLUG CONNECTION FIX

Re: VERY IMPORTANT DISCOVERY

I too noticed the GPS plug was a poor fit.

Though I never experienced and problems prior my solution was to bend the pins a few thousands of an inch towords the socket housing.

This has increased friction and I have (still) never had any problems.

Any body knows if this connector may have the same problem in the regular vision. When I change my shell I had to remove the gps connector but as long as I remember it plugs very well.

CityZen said:
I think the only real problem here is when people open and close their covers too often. This loosens up the contacts in the plug. They should normally be pretty tight just by themselves.

I doubt that. The first time I opened mine I thought the connection was rather poor. It never flew after that as it went off to DJI for repair. I have it back finally and have yet to fly it. But because of this thread I opened up my unit. Still rather flimsy connection. So I bent the pins ever so slightly and shimmed in a small piece of double sided tape. Much better.

MapMaker53 said:
Thanks Frank. I'm definitely securing that connection better. So you think the loose connection throws it all the way into manual mode and not just ATT?

I can't say that there is just one thing that is effected when connection is lost.

doug86 said:
I have seen the same thing on my V+, but I have some questions about the conclusions here. Lets assume that the bird does loose GPS due to the loose plug. Wouldn't it behave exactly as if it lost the GPS signal? In other words, you would still be able to fly the thing in ATTI mode? A flyway as I understand it is complete loss of control, where the Phantom doesn't respond to any commands.

I'm not saying the loose plug isn't a bad fit, but how does it coming loose account for a complete inability to even force the Phantom to land by pulling the throttle down?

Also, if the plug comes loose in flight, wouldn't the Phantom go into RTH mode, and then land itself?

Or, are you suggesting that the GPS module has to be plugged in no matter what, even if one was flying in Manual Mode?

My quad had a electrical type of short, the kind that is not completely on or off. Think of taking a light switch on the wall and flipping the switch up & down repeatedly. My quad got confused and kicked itself out of failsafe and began dropping in the sky. The data showed minus - sign on several numbers that were on the graph.

flyNfrank said:
CityZen said:
I think this is quite an overreaction. ...
Overreaction?

What type of reaction should one have when their quad doesn't return, or like Dirty Bird's quad that sitting on the ground and suddenly takes off and into a tree? And so on...
I meant that a class-action lawsuit was an overreaction. I wasn't trying to dismiss people's technical problems.

I've looked at my own Phantom, and I've noticed there is an issue here: the contacts on the plug don't grip the pins until the last 2 mm of insertion.
So even though the pins are over 5mm long, the contacts are only gripping on to the ends. This makes it very important that the plug is seated all the way down.
If you want to be completely safe, I'd suggest adding a tiny dab of hot glue that touches the plug and the socket when you close your Phantom.
A little dab should be easy enough to remove when you unplug the plug again later, but still enough to make sure the plug stays seated while flying.

rbhamilton said:
Wow! Well that could explain why mine went for a wander up into the mountains the other day. One minute it was "up there", I look down then up again and it's gone. It just went into the Bermuda triangle of Papago Park. I was very lucky to find it waaaay up on top of the arch or I'd still be scratching my head. Thanks very much!

I'm sure DJI will do the right thing and replace all the "fly away" drones and do a massive recall to fix this defect, right? :)

You're kidding, right? Lol

I pulled the top off as suggested and did the repair Frank mentioned. With so little of the actual pins making contact I have to believe it's trouble waiting around the corner for anyone who doesn't take the 10 minutes to correct. I have attached a photo of my fix below. I found a strip of matchbook cover slips into the front of the socket perfectly. Then I put a dab of silicone on each side to act as glue. Looks pretty solid to me. The interesting thing about this Phantom, is that overall its really high quality. All the solder joints are great, the bolts that hold everything together have thread inserts that you don't find on some, if not all, of the competition. The plastic is fairly high quality. Granted their support sucks the big one, but overall, its a quality product. Except for this one connection point!

Attachments

• DSC00585 4x6.jpg
    DSC00585 4x6.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 575

Prylar Bek said:
Is this plug an issue with V3 as well as the older ones?

was there an answer to this? is the v3 connection the same?

flyNfrank said:
MapMaker53 said:
Thanks Frank. I'm definitely securing that connection better. So you think the loose connection throws it all the way into manual mode and not just ATT?

No.... I wrote what I thought at the time was going on. Looking at it now, plus since then I have also had the chance to fly in manual mode, the quad was in a combination of manual & atti. I realize it sounds odd but then again the quad didn't have any idea what was going on. It had nothing to reference itself so it was going from failsafe descending, to the mentioned combo.

At 1st you could see it descending at the usual 4-4.5mph and after 8-10 seconds it will begin drop altitude at a fast rate. Now back then on the flight logger it had shown it would peak at just under 23mph. As I say I have since flown in manual and when I did it was really only to see how the quad would react to free falling. I noticed on my data that the actual speed was not getting recorded as it fell. It would show it as something like 16mph when I could clearly see it over twice that speed. The quad remained upright as it came down and eventually it would begin going more outward in a angle then straight down. And this is when the speed would be more recognized by gps again.
dutch said:
Prylar Bek said:
Is this plug an issue with V3 as well as the older ones?

No response to the v3

OP:
The fact that you're was descending at 20mph indicates manual mode.

Atti and gps will not allow you to descend that fast

Look at the naza m v2 quick start manual to confirm this

This is a great discovery BUT, i'm not opening up my bird and doing anything (mine flies great) untill I know if this mod is for the latest version, or is it just affecting the older ones.

Wow...I transport mine in the car upside down...Will be fixed tomorrow!
Thanks!!!

Always assumed the plug wqs like thwt to mqke removing top easier. As most if my cable is under the shielding i have like 2 inchs that sticks out.. barely enough slack to even plug it in wgen I put lid back on... I tested it once but giving it a good shake upside down..and it was still connected all the way down when I removed shell to take a look..

It is very loose but seems like with the lid on there isnt enough
Room for it to come undone..?

Spose it wouldnt hurt to wedge something in to keep it tighter..

Prylar Bek said:
This is a great discovery BUT, i'm not opening up my bird and doing anything (mine flies great) untill I know if this mod is for the latest version, or is it just affecting the older ones.
I think they'll all fly great until it comes unplugged. Who know if it's just not hit and miss problem no matter what version you have ? It's not a big deal to open up. I'll check mine , kinda remember it was kinda easy to plug in.

A simple continuity test while wiggling the connector will tell if this is truly a problem. There are two small slots on the male end of the connector into which tabs from the female connector sit. So they make any sideways movement virtually impossible. Those 4 pin connectors are very popular, and there are a few of them inside the P2V+, and also some identical 3 pin connectors. BMWs have them all over the car. Some have locking clips on them, but many do not. Never had one be problematic yet as far as I know. I'll get out my continuity tester this weekend if I get a chance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4