GPS PLUG CONNECTION FIX

Where do I begin?

Simply put, I'm the type that is not content until there is some kind of explanation when something not clear. So all year we have had vPlus pilots sprout up on occasion with what most felt like they had a Flyaway. And each person didn't know if they did something to cause it, or what exactly. What they did know was their investment was reduced to not having a quad anymore.

I got to thinking about a strange problem I had not long ago that I had eventually figured out what the problem was, and I cured it. Some may remember not long ago I had posted a thread expressing how my quad was descending up to 22mph. Several asked how I was doing it and I would tell anyone at that time because I didn't really know what was taking place. I didn't say, but at the time I actually thought my quad was slipping into manual mode on it's own and stay until I switched S1 from atti and back to gps mode. So that ended up being the method for regaining control of the quad, but I still was unsure what was causing it to happen.

After using my flight logger data on 3 flights I knew it to have happened, I could see it was a gps related issue. In the flight logger data, it looked like it would if it was a short of some kind. The Longitude & Latitude had what I call impossible changes. Think of a spinning ball in the sky. The result to this was, the quad was confused on where it was, and what it should be doing, ect.

Anyway, to jump ahead here, I found the problem. It was the connection where the GPS plugs into the board. Now comes the part NOBODY wants to hear. The plug and board connector do not match. It is a bad fit. With the plug fully pressed into the connector, it will move from front to rear with a good deal of slop. So much slop that it is enough to break connection with little effort. When I mention "Nobody" will want to hear this is because this applies to all vPlus quads.

I used a piece of plastic wire tie and wedged it between the connector housing and the plug. It works perfect and it eliminates all slop. If you didn't need to remove this plug each time when you open the top cover, it might have been a plug you used the white glue on like DJI did on other plugs.

If I would have lost my vPlus to a flyaway, I would no doubt be looking into this in more detail. And once I would see the fitting of this connection for myself, I think I would be looking to have a discussion with DJI and my lost investment.

Btw, I thought about pic's and/or video on this, but I'm most know the connection area I'm referring to. And once you check it you'll see it's obviously not right. I own 2 vPlus and they are both exactly the same. Now hopefully I save someone from loosing their quad.

Edit: Pic's have been added.
Also: Thread Title Revised per msinger suggestion.

Hello to all phantom flyers, I have identified the right connector for the loose GPS plug, I created a phantompilots account just so I could share this info.
The name of the connector is -
MOLEX 4-Pin 2.54mm single row Female Connector socket with lock
I found two places where you can purchase it, the links are below, if the links don't work just cut & paste the words onto the ebay or Aliexpress search box.
GOOD LUCK!

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

MOLEX 4-Pin 2520 2.54mm Female crimp with LOCK Connector | eBay

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

MX2.54 Dupont Connector 4 Pin with Belt Buckle Single Row | eBay

MOLEX 4-Pin 2520 2.54mm Female crimp with LOCK Connector View attachment 39659

MOLEX 4-Pin 2520 2.54mm Female crimp with LOCK Connector
MOLEX 4pin 2.54mm female crimp socket latch Lock connector.jpg

MOLEX 4pin 2.54mm male single row header Connector
MOLEX 4pin 2.54mm single row male header Connector.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent10
Where do I begin?

Simply put, I'm the type that is not content until there is some kind of explanation when something not clear. So all year we have had vPlus pilots sprout up on occasion with what most felt like they had a Flyaway. And each person didn't know if they did something to cause it, or what exactly. What they did know was their investment was reduced to not having a quad anymore.

I got to thinking about a strange problem I had not long ago that I had eventually figured out what the problem was, and I cured it. Some may remember not long ago I had posted a thread expressing how my quad was descending up to 22mph. Several asked how I was doing it and I would tell anyone at that time because I didn't really know what was taking place. I didn't say, but at the time I actually thought my quad was slipping into manual mode on it's own and stay until I switched S1 from atti and back to gps mode. So that ended up being the method for regaining control of the quad, but I still was unsure what was causing it to happen.

After using my flight logger data on 3 flights I knew it to have happened, I could see it was a gps related issue. In the flight logger data, it looked like it would if it was a short of some kind. The Longitude & Latitude had what I call impossible changes. Think of a spinning ball in the sky. The result to this was, the quad was confused on where it was, and what it should be doing, ect.

Anyway, to jump ahead here, I found the problem. It was the connection where the GPS plugs into the board. Now comes the part NOBODY wants to hear. The plug and board connector do not match. It is a bad fit. With the plug fully pressed into the connector, it will move from front to rear with a good deal of slop. So much slop that it is enough to break connection with little effort. When I mention "Nobody" will want to hear this is because this applies to all vPlus quads.

I used a piece of plastic wire tie and wedged it between the connector housing and the plug. It works perfect and it eliminates all slop. If you didn't need to remove this plug each time when you open the top cover, it might have been a plug you used the white glue on like DJI did on other plugs.

If I would have lost my vPlus to a flyaway, I would no doubt be looking into this in more detail. And once I would see the fitting of this connection for myself, I think I would be looking to have a discussion with DJI and my lost investment.

Btw, I thought about pic's and/or video on this, but I'm most know the connection area I'm referring to. And once you check it you'll see it's obviously not right. I own 2 vPlus and they are both exactly the same. Now hopefully I save someone from loosing their quad.

Edit: Pic's have been added.
Also: Thread Title Revised per msinger suggestion.
I do believe you're on to something.

Hello to all phantom flyers I have identified the right connector for the loose GPS plug, I created a phantompilots account because i thought the info might help someone.
The name of the connector is -
MOLEX 4-Pin 2520 2.54mm Female crimp with LOCK Connector
I could only find two places where you can purchase it, the links are below.
GOOD LUCK!

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

Aliexpress.com : Buy MOLEX 2520 2.54mm 4 Pin Male, Female with LOCK Connector and Crimps x 10 Sets from Reliable molex adapter suppliers on HobbyMart | Alibaba Group

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLEX-4-Pin-2520-2-54mm-Male-Female-Crimps-with-LOCK-Connector-x-10-Sets-/121362730819?hash=item1c41c84f43:g:RIcAAOxyRHdRy~oR&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

22 pcs 4 pin 2.54 mm Connector Latch Secures Female Housing

MOLEX 4-Pin 2520 2.54mm Female crimp with LOCK Connector View attachment 39659

MOLEX 4-Pin 2520 2.54mm Female crimp with LOCK Connector View attachment 39660

MOLEX 4pin 2.54mm male single row header Connector View attachment 39661

If you can find an old computer, there is a chance that they have an analogue sound cable that plugged into the sound card inside your PC.
To install, just press on the 4 pin tabs and pull the pins out. Just make sure you have them in the right order when you install onto the GPS pins

I did the mod and it fits beautifully. I still don't know why DJI didn't get the proper connectors in the first place.
CD%20ROM%20cable%20for%20GPS%20plug.jpg

I did a search today because I've been flying all week at the in-laws and couldn't get my gps to work. It''s been intermittent for a while. I took the top off this afternoon and just unplugged it and replugged it in several times and my last two flights today was with GPS. Hallelujah. I'm "drifting" a little still even with 12 satellites so my next search will be on how to recalibrate. Huge difference in flight stress...lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20