Got my first paying gig

Reaction score
Some background info: I'm a high-level technical professional, but not a professional photographer. I've been droning for about 18 months now, and can fly my P3S and P3P fair-to-middlin' well. OTOH, I'be been editing with Photoshop and Premiere for at least 20 years, and I'm pretty decent at both. I'm also a private pilot, so getting my 107 ticket was fairly easy.

This past winter I made a video (see Fresh New England Snowfall) that got picked up by the news media. It was put on ABC News Facebook newsfeed, and it also was broadcast on nationwide TV on Good Morning America. The ABC newsfeed was watched over 500,000 times, and one of the viewers was a local real estate agent. She contacted me and asked if I ever did real estate videos. I said "Let's talk." I told her that doing videos was not my day job, but if the right property came up close to my home, I might be willing to do something for her. Nothing came of the conversation. Until two days ago.

The realtor just got a property about 15 minutes from my home. We talked on the phone about it yesterday, and she agreed to my price: $600 for a 2-minute video and 10-15 photos. I agreed to complete the work within 48 hours of shooting. I also told her that I trusted her, and didn't need a contract. She could send me a check when the project was done. I don't have time for contracts for this level of enterprise.

We met today at the property. To my surprise and delight, she gave me a check for the full amount before we started. Shooting took about 90 minutes, getting about an hour of video and about 50 stills. All the while I was displaying the drone images on an iPad so she could watch. She giggled like a schoolgirl when she saw the property from above and the perspectives I got for the stills. I just uploaded the finished video and all the unedited stills so she can pick the ones she wants. I'm pretty sure she'll show off the finished goods to her colleagues - she works in a big realty office.

Moral of the story is that you never know what can happen when you make a good video, even if it's just for fun.

Great story. May you make oodles of $$$.

Reactions: latinsoldier77
I am not a lawyer, my 1st wife was a professional photographer, from experience you need a contract that will hold you harmless, for everything except gross stupidity. Long story short, if the relationship hits a bump, they will call a lawyer to smooth it out. Been there, done that. Every time I fly for pay or take photos or videos, I have a contract, with a hold harmless clause, in the events of act of god, equipment failure, ect.

I am not a lawyer, my 1st wife was a professional photographer, from experience you need a contract that will hold you harmless, for everything except gross stupidity. Long story short, if the relationship hits a bump, they will call a lawyer to smooth it out. Been there, done that. Every time I fly for pay or take photos or videos, I have a contract, with a hold harmless clause, in the events of act of god, equipment failure, ect.
Any chance of a sample?

Some background info: I'm a high-level technical professional, but not a professional photographer. I've been droning for about 18 months now, and can fly my P3S and P3P fair-to-middlin' well. OTOH, I'be been editing with Photoshop and Premiere for at least 20 years, and I'm pretty decent at both. I'm also a private pilot, so getting my 107 ticket was fairly easy.

This past winter I made a video (see Fresh New England Snowfall) that got picked up by the news media. It was put on ABC News Facebook newsfeed, and it also was broadcast on nationwide TV on Good Morning America. The ABC newsfeed was watched over 500,000 times, and one of the viewers was a local real estate agent. She contacted me and asked if I ever did real estate videos. I said "Let's talk." I told her that doing videos was not my day job, but if the right property came up close to my home, I might be willing to do something for her. Nothing came of the conversation. Until two days ago.

The realtor just got a property about 15 minutes from my home. We talked on the phone about it yesterday, and she agreed to my price: $600 for a 2-minute video and 10-15 photos. I agreed to complete the work within 48 hours of shooting. I also told her that I trusted her, and didn't need a contract. She could send me a check when the project was done. I don't have time for contracts for this level of enterprise.

We met today at the property. To my surprise and delight, she gave me a check for the full amount before we started. Shooting took about 90 minutes, getting about an hour of video and about 50 stills. All the while I was displaying the drone images on an iPad so she could watch. She giggled like a schoolgirl when she saw the property from above and the perspectives I got for the stills. I just uploaded the finished video and all the unedited stills so she can pick the ones she wants. I'm pretty sure she'll show off the finished goods to her colleagues - she works in a big realty office.

Moral of the story is that you never know what can happen when you make a good video, even if it's just for fun.

Are you able to share the media prepared for the listing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31