Got a call from the local FAA - someone 'reported' me

Reaction score
I was at work on Thursday when I got a call from an unknown number. Let it go to voicemail and then listened to find that a local FAA rep (can't recall the term he used) was calling to inform me that I had been reported to them for my use of a UAV.

The guy was very nice and said the call was more to explain use of the UAV and current rules/regulations. Said the report was for flying over a 'crowded' downtown area and flying at night. I argued the first point as I flew over our local town (4.4 square miles and population of 20,000) this past Winter when the streets were literally lined with snow. The night thing was valid and done shortly after I bought the P4P and before learning about/sitting for the 107 exam. I am now a certified pilot.

Have to admit to being livid after the call about whomever had the gall to 'report me'. I am a landscape photographer in town and have built up a strong reputation for my work here. I've noticed a few people sharing their footage from UAVs and have to believe one of them was behind this.

Still not sure I agree with the part about not flying over our downtown. Does anyone here fly 100-200' over residential/businesses early in AM to capture images?

Anyone know if the reports to the FAA are anonymous? Would be nice to get the name of the person who reported me.

Anyone else get 'the call'?

E

I never fly over residential or businesses area... I always go far away from civilization. If you want to capture the early morning hours go to a park or the forest. This is why is not a good idea to use drones in the city or very populated areas.

Thanks Macoman,

Ironically, there's a realtor in town posting videos and one is of him flying 25 feet AGL down a street and over cars with people on the sidewalks in the middle of the day...

Unless the person saw your FAA registration # or more likely, they know you personally. The FAA would have no idea who you were. I suspect this person knows who you are personally to provided the FAA with your information.

Unless the person saw your FAA registration # or more likely, they know you personally. The FAA would have no idea who you were. I suspect this person knows who you are personally to provided the FAA with your information.
Yep...

This sounds very plausible.

I fly where ever I want. I am responsible and use common sense. I await "the call" if whoever feels the need to squawk does so. This world is getting to be too much filled with empty headed people that think they have the intelligence to make determinations that are far above their pay grade.

This world is getting to be too much filled with empty headed people that think they have the intelligence to make determinations that are far above their pay grade.
This sounds just as plausible, as well. ;)

Reactions: KKD
To those who pointed out that the report was from someone who knows me - you're exactly right. Just don't know who. I've got a top-3 in mind but would love to know if the reports are anonymous ;-)

The guy from the local FAA could not have been any nicer. He had clearly visited my website and was complementary of my work. Addressed me as Dr (I'm a physician). And was very happy to answer all of my questions.

I ended up asking about flying downtown and he said it was a grey area with the biggest potential issue being people out on the streets. My alternative is to shoot more from the ocean and/or harbor of our town which he said would be preferable.

I had gotten a request recently to shoot a wedding from above (the husband is a big fan of drones and wife wanted to surprise him). Asked about that scenario as all participants would be aware of the drone and was advised to shoot from an angle rather than overhead.

I also clarified with him that this report would not affect my recent request for waiver of night flying (I purchased a 3 SM strobe after the previous night flight).

To those who pointed out that the report was from someone who knows me - you're exactly right. Just don't know who. I've got a top-3 in mind but would love to know if the reports are anonymous ;-)

The guy from the local FAA could not have been any nicer. He had clearly visited my website and was complementary of my work. Addressed me as Dr (I'm a physician). And was very happy to answer all of my questions.

I ended up asking about flying downtown and he said it was a grey area with the biggest potential issue being people out on the streets. My alternative is to shoot more from the ocean and/or harbor of our town which he said would be preferable.

I had gotten a request recently to shoot a wedding from above (the husband is a big fan of drones and wife wanted to surprise him). Asked about that scenario as all participants would be aware of the drone and was advised to shoot from an angle rather than overhead.

I also clarified with him that this report would not affect my recent request for waiver of night flying (I purchased a 3 SM strobe after the previous night flight).
Sounds like you are in the right, and got to talk to a decent "Government" person. Love to hear that.

Asked about that scenario as all participants would be aware of the drone and was advised to shoot from an angle rather than overhead.

Right, just because they are aware of the drone does not make them exempt under 107.39(a):

"Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; "

The key word being operation , i.e. the control of it. Which is why you would need a waiver to fly over the participants.

... would love to know if the reports are anonymous ;-)

They can be. See FAA Hotline Reporting Form

Sounds like you are in the right, and got to talk to a decent "Government" person. Love to hear that.

I recently retired from the FAA. Having spent a lifetime working there, I can say that some of the nicest people in the world work there, and some of the biggest jerks you would ever meet work there. It is a luck of the draw......

I recently retired from the FAA. Having spent a lifetime working there, I can say that some of the nicest people in the world work there, and some of the biggest jerks you would ever meet work there. It is a luck of the draw......
So it's like every industry everywhere ;)
I'm curious if the flight logs that are recorded within the DJI app can be viewed by people at DJI and then forwarded to the FAA.

Reactions: Papa@NBTX
Just to clarify something in my understanding. The night flight was done before you got your 107 right? Hobbiest are not forbidden to fly at night from what I have gathered but if you have your part 107 you have to request a waiver if performing a night time operation but as a 107 pilot you can fly at night time if following the hobbiest rules??

I had this EXACT same thing happen to me last year. A new "competitor" in town (that's my best guess) filed a report on my for flying "Commercially" w/o my Part 107 Credentials. Fortunately I had Part 107 AND my Section 333 Exemptions.

The man on the phone was extremely nice and even stated, "We're sorry for taking up your time and inconveniencing you but we are required to follow up on every report we get like this."

Yes you can report someone to the FAA with 100% anonymity.

Re:Wedding ~ That's a slippery slope and you can NOT fly directly over anyone (a) except yourself and your flight crew ( pilot and VO). Everyone else is a No-Go! Even if they are aware and sign release forms it's a No-Go unless you have (in your possession with your name on it) § 107.39

Also take in mind our drones are LOUD and major attention getters. We do weddings but only fly before and AFTER the ceremony out of respect for the couple of the day.

Just to clarify something in my understanding. The night flight was done before you got your 107 right? Hobbiest are not forbidden to fly at night from what I have gathered but if you have your part 107 you have to request a waiver if performing a night time operation but as a 107 pilot you can fly at night time if following the hobbiest rules??

Correct, flight was pre-107. I have applied for the night waiver for some shots coming up in July.

Reactions: SteveNPhx
Re:Wedding ~ That's a slippery slope and you can NOT fly directly over anyone (a) except yourself and your flight crew ( pilot and VO). Everyone else is a No-Go! Even if they are aware and sign release forms it's a No-Go unless you have (in your possession with your name on it) § 107.39

Also take in mind our drones are LOUD and major attention getters. We do weddings but only fly before and AFTER the ceremony out of respect for the couple of the day.

Good points. The wedding idea was emailed to me by the bride. I only bought the drone to do landscape photography and never had an interest in portrait but used the call with the FAA more to ask some of these trickier concepts.

Reactions: BigAl07
You mentioned the FAA rep was familiar with your website. If you posted videos taken at night and/or over the town, then an anonymous person could've just reported the videos they saw that were questionable with a link to where they saw them.

I took some photos of our town's Main St. hovering over buildings on each side of the street. I didn't fly directly over people or the street itself. I haven't experienced negative responses, yet. Guess we all have to be ready when big brother comes knocking.

I am glad to hear the FAA is fair-minded when approaching drone pilots. I am a Commercially rated pilot and just passed the part 107 test. My question to anyone who knows is this. Is the any fine or charge placed against a person or company who hires a non-licensed UAV operator flying for commercial purposes? Those of us who have taken the time to become legal to fly for hire have to compete with non-licensed operators. For example if a real estate company hires a photographer to shoot a property and a UAV is part of that photo package, the photographer or his sub, should be Part 107 compliant. If there is such a provision in place that holds the client responsible to assure the operator is operating within the law, then great. I have not been able to find this regulation. About two years ago when the FAA was trying to get its arms around the whole drone thing, they did have fines in place to charge those who hired drone operators for commercial purposes. None of these stuck since the law was not approved by congress, if I recall. Anyone, know if such a rule exists?

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic