GoPro WiFi

Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed in the past but I just have a quick question.

I have a GoPro 3 and I was asked to take a picture of a group of kids from a low altitude. The phantom will NOT be near the kids at all. If would really like to be able to see what the GoPro sees on my ipad with the GoPro app but I was told that there could be issues with phantom communication when the GoPro wifi is turned on.

Anybody have some insight on this?

mnuser said:
I know that this has been discussed in the past but I just have a quick question.

I have a GoPro 3 and I was asked to take a picture of a group of kids from a low altitude. The phantom will NOT be near the kids at all. If would really like to be able to see what the GoPro sees on my ipad with the GoPro app but I was told that there could be issues with phantom communication when the GoPro wifi is turned on.

Anybody have some insight on this?

Yes - Don't do it !! Even DJI themselves advise in bold print not to use GoPro Wifi whilst flying. They have clearly had interference issues whilst testing.
You say the Phantom will not be near the children but if it get's a blocked or corrupted signal and interprets it as a directional input straight towards the kids they can move pretty quickly (Phantoms not kids !) and all of a sudden it is VERY near the children. I don't even want to think about what would happen with a 1kg plus projectile moving at over 20mph with spinning props would do to a group of small children.

You have two alternatives (one costs nothing)

1. Set your GoPro up to take pictures at regular intervals (say once every 3 seconds) then fly a pattern and hold position for three seconds or more at each location.
2. Do the same as 1 above but get yourself an FPV setup - then you WILL see exactly what the GoPro is seeing.

Thanks for the info. That was the plan. To shoot in the mode that snaps a shot every two seconds. There will be over 500 kids and they will be quite a ways away. All I have to do it get about 15-25 feet up and take a bunch of shots. I can bring them closer in Photoshop when I crop them down to 8x12 prints. Since there will be so many detail will really not be possible. They are wearing the school colors and their goal is that. I pict with school colors.

I will be going over tomorrow to figure out the height and the angle. It should be pretty easy. 15 minutes and done. I'm helping out the 8th grade. They are using the picture as a fundraiser. Selling the pict for 10 bucks. They hope to sell about 100 of them.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav